Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16 into a EF clutch cable HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 into a EF clutch cable HELP ASAP

O.K. I just finished my B16 swap yesterday night and finally I goto put my clutch cable on and guess what.... too short. I looked at my old ZC bracket for it and it's completely different. I called a friend up and he said sometimes you have to change it to a 90' integra. The cable on my car is off a 91' Civic HB Dx. But all the swap sites I goto say nothing about the cable possibling too short and having to change it. HERE'S THE THING IS IT BECAUSE IT'S A CABLE FOR A DX AND NOT A SI THAT IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT ( i PUT THIS IN CAPS SO YOU UNDERSTAN ), I tried bending the bracket and ended up cracking the bracket slightly and had to re-weld it so no luck there. ALso I"m running a 4 puck clutch so the release arm is not giving me any slack. IT's only like a 1/2" too short. I've tried everything and I know I'm trying to put it on right.
So what do I have to do ? Buy a cable for a teg. cause if so I"m screwed since it's a dealer only item and most likely they won't have one in stock I take it.Did anyone else when putting a B16 into a Dx HB have this same problem. What did you do ? I'm trying not to go and have to buy a new cable since money and this SUCKS cause all I need to be able to drive my car is the right clutch cable. OR AM I doing something wrong here I looked at my honda manual and I know I'm putting the cable on right and it's threaded on as far as it will go out still only about 1/2 - 1 " I need to make it long enough
Old 08-07-2003, 03:46 AM

Also if I can't find a store that has one for a integra will one off a accord or another honda be long enough. I'm open to suggestions or ideas
Old 08-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (7PSiEF9ZC)

call baranco and order a new bracket, they are like 7 bucks
Old 08-07-2003, 05:52 AM

the clutch cable has to be from a 90-91 teg or Si. you r should be able to get the cable from a parts store...they are not dealer only items. Check Ebay or http://www.advanceautoparts.com
Old 08-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxman00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxman00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the clutch cable has to be from a 90-91 teg or Si. you r should be able to get the cable from a parts store...they are not dealer only items. Check Ebay or http://www.advanceautoparts.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

bullshit A stock DX cable and a b series tranny bracket work just fine. Dont spread misinformation

Modified by Audipwr1 at 9:45 PM 8/7/2003
Old 08-08-2003, 07:08 AM

I've had 4 88-91 crx/civics (ALL with b-series motors)and I've ALWAYS had to change the cable to a Si cable... that just me... Just tryin to help

FYI - You may want to take a little pill called 'CHILL'
Old 08-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxman00)

FYI- you are the only one around switching cables
The throttle cable is the only cable you must switch

I have a racecar in my garage that is still usiing the stock clutch cable mounted to a b18b with a ys1 cable transmission. The b series tranny cable bracket works perfect, you must put the cable into the bracket first, then bolt it to the transmission, then tighten it until there is only 10mm of freeplay in the release arm.
Every other person I know has done it the precise same way
Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Audipwr1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Audipwr1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">still usiing the stock clutch cable mounted to a b18b with a ys1 cable transmission. The b series tranny cable bracket works perfect, you must put the cable into the bracket first, then bolt it to the transmission, then tighten it until there is only 10mm of freeplay in the release arm.
Every other person I know has done it the precise same way</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also have a 91 CRX DX with a 96 B18B1 with 92 YS1 GSR cable tranny. The car was originally an automatic but when I swapped the motor and tranny in I used a 91 CRX Si clutch cable. The DX and Si clutch cable are the same and there is only a slight difference between the 88-91 Civic/CRX and 90-93 Integra. Either one will work. The procedure that you mentioned is exactly how I installed my cable to the release arm and tranny.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:43 PM

same problem here, just installed a new exedy clutch and now i can't put it in any gear, only if the engine is not running can i then put it in gear.. the clutch is really hard to press and i can't adjust the cable to loosen it up, what am i doing wrong? its a b16a cable s1 tranny new clutch and 88 crx si.

problem is the cable seemed too short and we had to really force it in and the clutch pedal is reall STIFF this is only when i installed a new clutch and i was using stock cable from 88si, the car starts fine just can't get it into gear and when try going in reverse it would grind as if i wasn't stepping on the clutch at all, do i need integ cable from 90-93?
Old 08-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooned out)

the cable can be adjusted in length
the threaded cap can give you around 50mm of play
Old 08-26-2003, 01:55 AM

Default Re: (Audipwr1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Audipwr1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> FYI- you are the only one around switching cables
The throttle cable is the only cable you must switch

I have a racecar in my garage that is still usiing the stock clutch cable mounted to a b18b with a ys1 cable transmission. The b series tranny cable bracket works perfect, you must put the cable into the bracket first, then bolt it to the transmission, then tighten it until there is only 10mm of freeplay in the release arm.
Every other person I know has done it the precise same way
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldnt have said it any better. Ive posted this a few times. You must spin the threaded nut all the way loose, unbolt the bracket from the tranny (2 12mm bolts), install the cable in the bracket first, then in the tranny lever, then REBOLT the bracket with the cable already installed.

I've done MANY CRX and CIVIC (4th gen) Swaps and not once, have I had to replace the clutch cable.

Save your money and use the money you saved from buying a clutch cable and at least buy a 90-93 Integra or Type R THROTTLE cable. Its around 20 bucks.

Why? Ive seen many ghetto-rigged swaps using the stock D-series throttle cable and it didnt come close to opening that throttle plate 100%. I do so many EF swaps in my area I keep throttle cables, HasPort mounts, linkage, water pumps, timing belts, Bseries radiator hoses, clutches, etc. in stock. Not once have I needed the customer to purchase a cable for their clutch.

DX, HF, SI, I've done them all and none of them needed a longer cable for the clutch.