Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD Civic/CRV build w/ pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Civic/CRV build w/ pics!

Getting no love over in the fab section! Figured I'd post it here too

Let me begin by first saying this is far from my own project. It was a huge group effort from everyone at my shop, Simply Performance, in Arcata, CA. Now that I've got that out of the way...

This started when we acquired a bone stock 97 Civic DX with a cracked head. 5spd chassis, and very clean. The plan was always to do a cool build with this, with the thought of doing an AWD swap floating around more often than not. We eventually came into a 2000 CRV EX, but an automatic. The plan at the time was to use all of the CRV drivetrain, auto trans included, in the civic.

Yanked the engine and basically the entire front end out of the civic

(ignore the butt plug on the intake manifold)

Took a long shot and dropped the front subframe and suspension out, they looked close enough to maybe be interchangeable...

Sure enough, it bolted right up!

Dropped the engine in using a combination of factory mounts

Shortly after that we decided that an automatic would be kinda lame after all this effort, so we ditched the auto for a 5spd. Unfortunately the auto transfer case is different, so we also had to get a new one of those

Now, onto the rear. Obviously nothing bolted up here, especially considering this is normally where the fuel tank sits. Dropped the taank and focused on the rear suspension.

The CRV control arms are WAY too long to use the civic mounting location

Looks like it was made for a driveshaft

So we had to make a new subframe to mount the control arms and the differential

The CRV trailing arms were also too long, so those were shortened and boxed for strength

The body was also reinforced inside to help support the differential

Cut the driveshaft down to make it fit in the shorter wheelbase, and made a new carrier bearing bracket

Back inside the car, we used the CRV shifter assembly and cables

Used the spare tire space to mount the OEM fuel tank, which made wiring and plumbing much simpler.

At this point, I took on the wiring portion of the job. Using the original civic engine harness, it was modified to work correctly on the new engine. Used a Rywire OBD2b-OBD2b adapter harness for the ECU (5spd CRV) No exciting pictures for this portion.

Back on the ground, here's a comparison of the car next to a stock civic:

Of course, since this is going to be our off-road mud machine, we HAD to make a cool bumper

First time out, the driver got a little overzealous in a mud pit and this happened after a questionable clutch-kick...lol

shattered the inner CV joint. We realized this was partly due to how we mounted the differential more in the center, as opposed to offset like the CRV. Shifted the diff over 2" and we are using two long axles vs one long/one short and havent had an issue yet

Currently the interior is stripped out and we are in the process of building a cage; Partially external, with a roof-mounted LED bar :D (no pics just yet!)

After the cage we are planning to build a new motor (possibly a turbo setup) to help cope with all the extra weight of the cage. As it stands, it's already pretty quick! Bilstein shocks and lift springs are also on order to dial in the suspension.

I'll try to keep this updated as the project progresses! Thanks for reading Any questions I will do my best to answer!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: AWD Civic/CRV build w/ pics!

Definately interesting. Did not realize you were going for the off road ability.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting build. I definitely wasn't expecting to see an off-road civic. Glad you didn't keep the pos Auto trans. How much room do you have between the driveline and the chassis to run a full exhaust?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Enough to run a 2.25" exhaust all the way back through the tunnel. Fortunately the driveline is quite small so it wasnt too difficult to make an exhaust fit. The car does have a full exhaust now, unfortunately I dont have any pics

We did however just receive our 5-point harnesses, and two bucket seats are on order. The current plan is to make it a 3-seater, with the 3rd seat centered in the back. Not too sure how I like that idea, but it's my boss' decision
Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting a little further on everything. Been crazy busy at work, havent had much time to work on the toys.

Rock sliders on the side, and some pics of the cage an roof basket/light bar

You can see the new seats going in as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome in the 4WD civic world