Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone tried to change timing belt on h22 EG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:14 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone tried to change timing belt on h22 EG?

i messed up changing my timing belt while my motor was out! after the swap i found that the car was sputtering way more air (more powerful) from the exhaust than normal, so i tampered wit the dizzy and retarded it all the way only to find out the idle move up to 500 from 200 rpm( kinda low). when i drive it, it has no pull. so im going to assume that i screwed up about 1 tooth or 2 when i put the new timing belt in. what i need to know if any of you guys tried to change with the motor in the car? it looks kinda hard cause there aint much room on the driver side. i was thinkin about bringin it into a shop but i duno if its worth the amount of money to have it done. or do you think i should just rip out the motor and redo it (last thing i want). what other options do i have?

in addition my vtec dont work! im throwin code 21. and i got no idea whats wrong with it. im using the EG harness and it was wired for vtec, but i didnt do that ground thing that was on Poison's swap guide, i just didnt understand how do it properly.

the specs on my car is a 93 cx (formerly had a 93 gsr motor) with a h22a4, im using the old civic harness. im running a kenji p28 ecu and sitting on hcp mounts. OH and uh, my jim fab bars fit, i dont know why you guys say it dont but for me it do, ill have pics.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Re: anyone tried to change timing belt on h22 EG? (F120man)

Just lift the motor out. It is not hard at all. Unplug your harness at the shock towers,pull out axles,undo water hoses(2 to rad.,1 from firewall, and 1 from bac of the block on the drivers side)pull clutch line, and 2 fuel linesand unbolt the motor. I just did this yesterday to try and resolve some problems for a friend of mine in his eg, it takes a few minutes to do. You don't really need to do anything else to pull the motor. If you take your time, but know what you are doing then it should take no longer then 30 minutes to pull. As far as the vtec not working, if you didn't complete all the wiring then how do you think its going to work. If you can't figure out ther "ground thing" let me know and I will help if I can.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:19 AM
New User

Default Re: anyone tried to change timing belt on h22 EG? (dc2h22)

to pull the motor that means i have to take out hte mounts right? i had a really hard time on the rear tranny mount. but i think its do able again. but do you think its my timing belt? i dont want to do it if its not the timing belt. for the vtec.

Add one wire from the VTEC Oil pressure sensor (blk/blu wire), and the other wires which is VTEC oil pressure ground. Simply splice (while soldering!) this to the thermostat ground on the engine harness.

its this part, how do i splice while solder the vtec oil pressure sensor(the green plug)?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No you dont have to go through all that trouble pulling out the motor just to do the timing all over again. I had a 92 EG h22 turbo with HCP mounts also. Yeah it was a pain doing the timing belt with the motor in the car but a few turns of the timing belt cover and it should slip right off. You have to perfectly angle the timing belt cover in order to slip it off. When you did the timming did you adjust the little 4 head screw in the back of the block. I think it's the oil pump. But im not sure cause it's been while since I did a h22 timing. If you have any questions my best bet is to take it to someone who know's what they are doing. If I was to see it or maybe do it I can expalin it to you better or show you how to do it.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (slixxracing)

Just a few questions for you. Did you get the tool for the tensioner when you did the timing belt? The H22 has an auto tensioner whereas the H23 has a manual tensioner like GSR's and so forth. Did you line everything at TDC? And you DO NOT have to pull the motor to do the timing belt. It will be a complete waste of time.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:27 PM
New User

Default Re: (JDMH22HATCH)

no i didnt get the tool for the auto tensioner, i kinda did it ghetto style where i would manually compress the tensioner and having it tied down, till i actually put the whole belt in. you think it'll be more wise to use a manual tensioner? yeah i have everything lined at TDC, my flywheel lines up, and so does the cam lines on the side. but my gues is that i just moved one of the cams by one notch while installing the new belt.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (F120man)

JDMH22HATCH is right, you do not have to pull the motor to do the timing belt.

I did the timing belt, balance shaft belt, and a few other things in there with the engine in.

It's not the most fun I've ever had, but it's certainly not hard to do.

And the auto tensioner made everything a brease.

If anybody doesn't want to buy a NEW tensioner, I've still got the tensioner retainer, so you can put it on the tensioner before you stick it back on the motor. Makes it a ton easier. Just bolt it in, and pull off the retainer.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:11 PM

Default Re: (slixxracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slixxracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you did the timming did you adjust the little 4 head screw in the back of the block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What little 4 head screw?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have done mine with the engine in, all i did was loose up the driver side mount and just drop it the furthest that it can go, then i just work it from there, what that is the pain in the a$$ is trying to unbolt the screw on the plastic cover and also the lack of space, you would not want to be going there back and fourth, so i recommend you replace the timing belt and the water pump, then you don't have to worry about problems there anymore, i have place racing mounts
Old 10-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jacklee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jacklee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what that is the pain in the a$$ is trying to unbolt the screw on the plastic cover and also the lack of space</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, especially getting the lower cover on/off...That's a pain!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_EH)

Just unbolt the tranny and driver side mount and lower the motor. Then everything comes off easily.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:59 AM
New User

Default Re: (ranta18)

thanks alot, will do today
Old 10-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u dont even have to take the tranny mount off, i did mine by just taking off the drivers side mount, and by the way i actually did mine wouthout even taking off the drivers side wheel..no BS
Old 10-24-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to change all the belts in my H22 civic. It bogs a bit and makes a noise when I start the car then goes away. Or maybe it just needs to be tightened? Any suggestions on what it could be?