Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in New York that can help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in New York that can help me out? Q about swap legality

I'm wondering if a JDM engine swap would be legal in NYS. I searched around a bit and it appears people in CA have been able to get their JDM swaps bar'd and passed and all that stuff so I'm going to go ahead and assume you can have a JDM swap in New York State.

I have a 99 civic (OBDII-B) and I want to drop in a 99-01 B18B from hmotors but they no longer sell USDM engines and that's pretty much the only place that has my trust. I don't want any issues with CEL's or taking short cuts to passing inspection and all that stuff. I just want to be able to swap it in and bam, that's it. FYI, here, they just hook the computer up directly to your car.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone in New York that can help me out? Q about swap legality (amej8)

if you keep it obd2, and put the swap in correctly with no cel's, you'll be fine. however, you wont be able to chip your ecu or anything cause than the state computer won't be able to recognize the ecu.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else?

I just found out that you could use a JDM/USDM OBDI Motor with a USDM OBDII Ecu and OBDII Emission parts and be able to pass inspection.

Can anyone confirm please? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (amej8)

http://kosmo.homedns.org/trey/6gen/

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=558245

check the faqs for more information, all this been covered already. use the search also
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone in New York that can help me out? Q about swap legality (amej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm wondering if a JDM engine swap would be legal in NYS. I searched around a bit and it appears people in CA have been able to get their JDM swaps bar'd and passed and all that stuff so I'm going to go ahead and assume you can have a JDM swap in New York State.

I have a 99 civic (OBDII-B) and I want to drop in a 99-01 B18B from hmotors but they no longer sell USDM engines and that's pretty much the only place that has my trust. I don't want any issues with CEL's or taking short cuts to passing inspection and all that stuff. I just want to be able to swap it in and bam, that's it. FYI, here, they just hook the computer up directly to your car.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm wondering if a JDM engine swap would be legal in NYS. I searched around a bit and it appears people in CA have been able to get their JDM swaps bar'd and passed and all that stuff so I'm going to go ahead and assume you can have a JDM swap in New York State.

I have a 99 civic (OBDII-B) and I want to drop in a 99-01 B18B from hmotors but they no longer sell USDM engines and that's pretty much the only place that has my trust. I don't want any issues with CEL's or taking short cuts to passing inspection and all that stuff. I just want to be able to swap it in and bam, that's it. FYI, here, they just hook the computer up directly to your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know a few spots that'll pass you even if you had 14.1 : 1 compression, pro 3s cams, and a open header with a Chipped P28 if you know what I mean $. Hope you live near Queens though.