Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98+ spec jdm type r still stuck with CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98+ spec jdm type r still stuck with CEL

i just put in a brand new second o2 sensor, the first one close to the headers was still in tact, however the check engine light is not coming off and still unable to crack vtec, anyway to reset the computer? or could i be missing something else, i also took it to auto zone and couple of other shops to do a diagnoses but none of the computer were able to even establish a connection .... any suggestions? it is a really really nice motor bought from Hmo
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM

bump... any advice would help
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

JDM ECUs will not communicate to USDM code scanners.

which CEL do you have?
which ECU are you using? (P73-003? chipped P28?)
what have you done other than replacing the O2?
have you checked the wiring?

resetting the ECU consists of removing the backup fuse in the underhood fuse box (or removing the ECU from the plugs) for a few seconds.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 PM

alrite, ) you are a smart head haha, well you make it clear that usdm code scanners wont work, which CEL do i have? i have no clue... as far as the ECU, its the stock 98+ jdm ecu. mm i havent done anything but put a short ram aem intake and a five zigen jdm exhaust system all the way from header, #1 o2 was already there but the top of it is a bit squished, and the #2 o2 i put in myself, there is one vacume line thats left out, i am unsure what it is, some say its the charcoal canister vacume line <- found out yesturday have not had a chance to hook it up becuase the thickness of the hose and the canister thing is much different and im still unsure if that vacume line belongs there or not... ill try reseting the ecu with the simple instructions you gave me

p.s. i did remove both terminals off the battery for about 1 min or so, that didnt do anything
Old 09-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (alien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alrite, ) you are a smart head haha, well you make it clear that usdm code scanners wont work, which CEL do i have? i have no clue... as far as the ECU, its the stock 98+ jdm ecu. mm i havent done anything but put a short ram aem intake and a five zigen jdm exhaust system all the way from header, #1 o2 was already there but the top of it is a bit squished, and the #2 o2 i put in myself, there is one vacume line thats left out, i am unsure what it is, some say its the charcoal canister vacume line &lt;- found out yesturday have not had a chance to hook it up becuase the thickness of the hose and the canister thing is much different and im still unsure if that vacume line belongs there or not... ill try reseting the ecu with the simple instructions you gave me

p.s. i did remove both terminals off the battery for about 1 min or so, that didnt do anything </TD></TR></TABLE>
that's usually not the part of me that people say is smart. lol

check the CELs the same way OBD1 cars do. paperclip and count the flashes (works great on my JDM P73 - check the sticky in the 92-00 forum if you're unsure how to do it)

a pic of the hose and where it goes would help to figure out what it is.

pulling the battery for a minute is more than enough to reset the ECU.
Pull the CEL and go from there.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:03 AM

good enough, i will do so, ill snap a pic of the hose ))) thanks a bunch