Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 to 4 wire o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 to 4 wire o2 sensor

hey guys kind of a repost but still trying to figure this out. Bought a brand new o2 sensor to put into 95 civic cx with a b16 motor. I know where the wires go to the ecu and ran them there but I am still getting the code 1.
Q's:
1.When people say that you need a shielded wire for the white o2 sensor wire what exactly is ( shielded ) wire?

2.if I am not using shielded wire will it cause my ecu to throw the code?

3.Has any one ever had similar problems with wiring in a 4 wire o2.

All help is appreciated and thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 to 4 wire o2 sensor (alexb16hb)

common someone help the guy out?

I have a 1 to 4 wire 02 sensor conversion to do soon. This is the only thing that is wondering me...

I think I will use this information

If you bought a CX or DX civic with a 1-wire o2 sensor, you're going to have to convert to a 4-wire to run a b-seires ecu, and most of the "top of the line" b-series ecu's like the p28.

First things first, you need to physically buy a 4-wire o2 sensor. you can't send a heater signal to a device which has no heater circuitry and expect it to work

Wires on 4 wire O2:

WHITE: Signal Wire
GREEN: Signal Ground
2 BLACK: Both black wires are the heater circuit wires.

Using a P28 ECU (and should work for most obd1 ecu's with 4-wire controls)

Run O2 Sensor signal (white) To D14
Run O2 Sensor signal Ground (green) to D22 (or any good Ground)
Run O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Control (black) to A6
Run the other black heater circuit power wire to (A25) or any good switched +12VDC source.

(you may mix up the black wires... if car dies after it is warm/10-30 seconds, that's the first thing to swap over and troubleshoot.. there is no way to tell one from the other by looking at them)

your certain technical problem, I really have no clue.

I'm personally from Lancaster and wanted to say hello to the York member...
Old 04-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1 to 4 wire o2 sensor (93Civic_hb)

I also found this information somewhere, so I'm not sure which of the two I should use?

Hope this helps...

One to Four Wire Conversion
The easiest approach to doing this conversion is to start with the correct four wire plug, and make the necessary connections to the existing one wire oxygen sensor circuit & engine wire harness wires. This is the approach we employ as we find it to be the most straight foreword.

1 2
3 4
1-GRN/WHT 2-WHT
3-ORN/BLK 4-YEL/BLK

1-WHT

These diagrams represent the FEMALE wiring plug on the engine wire harness that the oxygen sensor plugs into. Cut the existing one wire oxygen sensor off of the engine wire harness and connect the four wire oxygen sensor plug to the engine wire harness in the following way:
1 - Connect GRN/WHT on the four wire oxygen sensor plug to the GRN/WHT wire that connects to the ECT sensor, IAT sensor, or TPS sensor. All of these sensors/components share the same GRN/WHT circuit.
2 - Connect WHT wire on four wire oxygen sensor plug to the WHT wire from the one wire oxygen sensor plug.
3 - Connect OAR/BLK wire on the four wire oxygen sensor plug to pin A6 on the ECU.
4 - Connect YLW/BLK on the four wire oxygen sensor plug to the YLW/BLK wire that connects to the fuel injectors, IACV sensor, or EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve. All of these sensors/components share the same YLW/BLK circuit.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: 1 to 4 wire o2 sensor (93Civic_hb)

hey thanks man. I work in Lancaster. We will have to meet up some time. I know all of the information that you posted I have been workin on this prob for some time now. Unfortunatly I still have the cel. Thanks any way.