Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 gsr motor into 98 HX coupe, 98 HX motor into 92 vx hatch, questions about wiring and mounts!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 gsr motor into 98 HX coupe, 98 HX motor into 92 vx hatch, questions about wiring and mounts!!

ok, here is what is going on: I used to have a 92 civic vx hatch as my daily driver(has a 00 gsr motor in is right now) i bought a 1998 civic HX coupe, all stock for my new daily driver. I was selling my hatch with the gsr, but no takers, so i want to put the gsr motor into my 98 coupe. And put the 98 hx motor into my hatch and sell the hatch with the sohc vtec-e motor for $3000. here are my questions:
1. MOUNTS: i need drivers, and rear mount off a 99 si to put the gsr into the coupe. And i need a del sol bracket to keep a/c, and a gsr PS pump to keep my PS. But and what mounts will i need to put the hx motor into my hatch? DO i just need rear, passener, and drivers mounts off a 92 vx?
2. WIRING. ok, and now for wiring. the 00 gsr motor is obd-2b, and my car is obd-2a. I will be using a conversion harness and running a obd-1 ecu(long story, its not all a 00 motor, block it 95, so it doesn't have all the obd-2 sensors, but im still running obd-2 harness, injectors, dizzy.....ect) How will the wiring harness connect on the passenger side under the hood? Do i just reuse my HX wiring harness?
And now wiring for the hatch. I want to get a obd-1 ecu to run the hx motor in it(makes more sence) but do i just need to get a wiring harness and ecu from a civic vx from that year? I hope im making sence with everything. I searched a lot, i just need some quick help.

Modified by 92hatchy at 9:31 AM 11/30/2004
Old 11-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i personally think thats way too much work and will end up costing you alot of money
Old 11-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

ill be gaining money cause i will be able to sell my hatch easier!! and it not that much work, i know what i need to put the gsr into my ek, just a little shaky on what i need to put the 1998 hx motor into my 92 vx
Old 11-30-2004, 03:12 AM

the obd 1 harness and ecu will not work with the hx motor
you will need an hx harness and ecu

make it easier and keep the hatch and sell the hx

i have an hx and wish i had a hatch
Old 11-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) For the VX, any 92-95 Civic mounts will work.

2) You can probably keep your HX harness but you'll have to replace the primary O2 sensor connector from the 5-wire to a 4-wire. You could also pick up an EX harness, BUT YOU MUST USE OBD2A 96-98 harness!!!! 92-95 harnesses and 99-00 will NOT work!!!
All the rest of your connections on the engine should be OK, same plugs and all, just lengthen some of the branches to reach. Use the 5th O2 sensor wire and re-pin it for the knock sensor, and grab one of the power & grounds from the secondary O2 sensor (which you won't need with an OBD1 conversion) and use them for the IAB solenoid.

PS - you can't use an OBD2 ecu on that GSR since the 95 block is missing the crank flux sensor required by OBD2 ecu's.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 00 gsr motor into 98 HX coupe, 98 HX motor into 92 vx hatch, questions about wiring and mounts!!

1) start in the appropriate forum
Old 11-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 gsr motor into 98 HX coupe, 98 HX motor into 92 vx hatch, questions about wiring and mounts!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) start in the appropriate forum</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanx for putting it in the right spot. I thought it would be ok to put it in the eg/ek forum, as i had a lot of questions about how different a HX motor is from a VX motor, but i guess it belongs here cause its more about swapping motors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sanitary6Gen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the obd 1 harness and ecu will not work with the hx motor
you will need an hx harness and ecu

make it easier and keep the hatch and sell the hx

i have an hx and wish i had a hatch</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry, but i love my new coupe, its my new project, i have had my hatch since 1992. And why can't a obd-1 ecu run the hx motor? obd-1 ecu's can run obd-2 motors, its just that a obd-1 ecu doesn't look for all he obd-2 **** on the motor. I just don't know how a hx wiring harness will work in a 1992 civic hatch engine bay.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, as i right now all i need is a del sol p54 bracket, 99-00 si rear and upper drivers side mount and bracket, and i need to figure out the wiring.

And ill worry about my 92 hatch when i get to that.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. MOUNTS: i need drivers, and rear mount off a 99 si to put the gsr into the coupe. And i need a del sol bracket to keep a/c, and a gsr PS pump to keep my PS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've got that covered.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But and what mounts will i need to put the hx motor into my hatch? DO i just need rear, passener, and drivers mounts off a 92 vx?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use any 92-95 Civic D series mounts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How will the wiring harness connect on the passenger side under the hood? Do i just reuse my HX wiring harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you can reuse the HX harness it will require you to do a few wiring mods but it's not hard. Best thing would be to use a 96-98 EX harness for better plug and play though. You will still need to add wiring for the IAB and change a few plugs since the components on the motor are OBD2B.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And now wiring for the hatch. I want to get a obd-1 ecu to run the hx motor in it(makes more sence) but do i just need to get a wiring harness and ecu from a civic vx from that year?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The easiest setup would be a P28 ECU, you can easily keep the OBD2 distributor, alternator, etc. and simply change the plugs to those on the OBD1 harness. If you can get a 92-95 EX/Si harness that would be better but any 92-95 harness will work, just a few wires to add.
If you really want to make things more like stock, you could use a VX ECU and harness. Since the HX is basically a newer coupe version of the VX it would make sense.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx a lot man. Your a awesom help. Im still not sure if i want to do this swap or not. The gsr has been in my eg hatch for 3 years now, and its working perfectly, and the hx is all factory. Everything is working perfect with the 2 cars, i don't want to screw up a good thing. I think im still going to try and sell my hatch with the gsr motor, and go with my dream, putting the f20b into my hx. Thanx for the help though, if i deceide to go with this plan, this will definalty help out a lot.