Honda S2000 Honda S2000

whats better S2000 oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (BoostedGreddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedGreddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wholly, post ***** batman. That's alot of posts...

/End

Continue thread-</TD></TR></TABLE>

holy random reply batman!......
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techno Tonis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techno Tonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

holy random reply batman!...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (maxpierre)

just changed all fluids this week.
motor: Mobile 1 10w30
filter: Fram Tough Guard (OEM Oil filters are made by fram so get off me!) haha
dif: Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil 75w90
tranny: HONDA GENUINE MTF!!! can't beat it...especially considering the amount of people who have listed a gear oil as their tranny fluid.

Car runs AMAZINGLY!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (Aludew5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aludew5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just changed all fluids this week.
tranny: HONDA GENUINE MTF!!! can't beat it...especially considering the amount of people who have listed a gear oil as their tranny fluid.

Car runs AMAZINGLY! </TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM Filters are made by filtech and formerly toyo roki. there was a comparo on s2ki...the link is floating around here somewhere, they arn't even close to being the same quality. cardboard inners ftl
Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (Techno Tonis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techno Tonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OEM Filters are made by filtech and formerly toyo roki. there was a comparo on s2ki...the link is floating around here somewhere, they arn't even close to being the same quality. cardboard inners ftl </TD></TR></TABLE>

wish the s2k filters were still made by toyo roki.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 AM

nice
Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (Aludew5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aludew5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just changed all fluids this week.

Car runs AMAZINGLY! </TD></TR></TABLE>you lose wamp wamp.
Honda S2k filters are not FRAM...thank god. I think i will save the cardboard for when i ship stuff out.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (JDM knowledge)

FRAM FTL

The grip holds heat. Not good.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (404S2K)

OEM works fine for me
Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 PM

I think MOUTUL 3OOV is better~~~
Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm-ray)

oem
Old 09-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (ArinX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArinX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wish the s2k filters were still made by toyo roki.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dose it matter? have you cut the 2 open and compare? because its jdm its cooler right.

i work at honda doing oil changes i do at least 50 cars a week min.when im bored i cut up random filters to see whats inside.

the regular small ones are carboard ends with the crappy plastic valves.

i did notice the s2k filters are made in usa now.

so when i got the old s2k filter (the one made in japan) i took off a new s2k when i serviced it and cut up a used usa made s2k filter that was on my own car and compared the 2 there was almost no difference with the internals. pretty much the same.

the new si all use the plm filter.

while fram dose make filters for oem honda. there are small differences. for example the o ring on the fram off the shelf units are not the same as the oem ones. they tend to stick on the sealing surface on the block. i never seen an oem one do it they are held on to the filter alot better.

i also cut up those cheap napa filters its total garbage inside. i would never put those on my car. theres a plastic cage inside that holds the filter elements. atleast the fram units have a metal one.

i also cut up the mobil 1 filters and k&n they both have nice metal valves and metal ends but compared to the oem s2k filter the filter element seems smaller overall. i dont know about the flow rates but this was my observation when i cut them opened and looked.

the purolator filter the blue ones aint a bad filter either its metal ends on that one also.

also one more thing from my observations theres some accords there were made in japan they run a slightly different filter out of the factory you can tell because the print on the outside of the filter is not the same as the regular ones. its the same exact filter as the regular plm one but its made by toyo roki i cut that one open also ans guess what its pretty much the same as the regular ones made by filtech.

just my 2cents from my observations at work i wish i took pics of all the filters i cut up but i never have a camera handy.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dose it matter? have you cut the 2 open and compare? because its jdm its cooler right.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya thats it ... its cooler! ... I trust Japanese parts more than i do US Made parts. Just me.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM

OEM here
Old 12-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BoostedGreddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedGreddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM or Mugen.... David WTF ....
Old 12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (HondaKyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaKyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OEM or Mugen.... David WTF .... </TD></TR></TABLE>

oil filter? i don't think mugen makes one.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LAS2K)

wait wait, who makes HAMP filters now?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kalm_traveler)

OEM 4 me
Old 12-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArinX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wish the s2k filters were still made by toyo roki. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Filtech = Toyo Roki USA

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Located in Findlay, Ohio, Filtech Inc. was established in 1989 by Toyo Roki Manufacturing Co. LTD</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (Tyson)

did not know that, is it a us division ?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

now that S2ki is back up, the comparison between Toyo Roki made and Filtech shows they are NEARLY IDENTICAL. whoever said it was crappy paper probably is confusing it with the Fram filters, which is NOT the same as Filtech.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/ind...04759

for the sake of recording it here.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
For the sake of redundantly typing ‘PCX 004’ over and over in this review I’m asking the reader to assume that any comments made concerning these two filters are ONLY in reference to the filter designed for the S2000. Both filters in this review have the part # 15400-PCX-004, one is made by Filtech and the other by Toyo Roki. All comments in this review will ONLY be talking about said filters with the 15400-PCX-004 part #, this review does not apply to other Honda OEM filters.

The test subjects! Notice the absence of a part # on the Filtech filter once it has been unwrapped.

Summary of observations:

• The Filtech casing is ever so slightly thicker and was harder to cut open with a dremmel. I tried to illustrate this in some of the pictures but the difference is so minute it’s not even worth worrying about. All I can say for certain is that the dremmel had a more difficult time slicing through the casing on the Filtech filter. That’s not to say that the Toyo Roki had a thin walled casing, but just that the Filtech was a little bit thicker still.
slightly thicker[/photo]

• The glue used to keep the filter element on the end caps is black on the Filtech and white on the Toyo Roki. Of the two filters, the Toyo Roki had excessive amounts of glue applied to the filter material. So much glue was on the material that it could be seen seeping around the edges of the end caps. The Filtech glue application was much more conservative although equally effective. Both solutions were just fine and neither one was better than the other. However, they were different and it was something we noticed.
Toyo Roki with lots of white glue[/photo] Filtech with a conservative application of black glue[/photo]

• The color of the filter element was slightly more orange on the Filtech, and more of a pale yellow on the Toyo Roki. Of the two elements, the Toyo Roki seemed to have a more ‘fuzzy’ consistency when compared side by side with the Filtech.
Filtech on the left, Toyo Roki on the right[/photo]

• When comparing both filter elements side by side, the Toyo Roki was ever so slightly taller than the Filtech. We’re talking about a height difference that is so insignificant that it wouldn’t affect the performance of either filter. In fact, it’s probably a quality control issue and varies from filter to filter. In any case, we’re talking about 1 or 2mm of height difference between the two. Nothing significant but I wanted to note it down on the list of observations. It should be noted that the mechanics gloves that we used to hold the filters when slicing them open made the Toyo Roki appear dirty. Both filter media were very clean, if they appear dirty in some of these pictures it was our doing.
very small height difference[/photo]

• The filter media in the Filtech had a type of ribbed pattern imprinted on the filter media. It was not embossed deeply into the media so you couldn’t really feel it with your fingers however, you could see it easily when under a bright light. I have no idea if this has any performance affect on the filter or not. It seems to me that if anything, the Filtech media would be BETTER because the ribbed pattern might serve to increase flow and/or filter surface area. Keep in mind this is pure speculation on my part though, and to be honest its such a small change anyways that I would think it to be insignificant concerning the performance of either filter.
notice the ribbed pattern on the Filtech media[/photo]

• The filter media on the Toyo Roki was bound by a tiny metal clip. The filter media on the Filtech was wound together as one piece, there was no need for a metal clip to hold two ends of the media together. Again, I’m talking about little, minute, insignificant details here. If you really want to rate the designs though, I would say that the Filtech was better in this regard. Because it did not use a metal clip to hold the media together it had ever so slightly more filter media. Again, this is so insignificant as to never have any measurable effect on the performance of the filter.
Tiny metal clip on the Toyo Roki[/photo] Filtech media was held together with a strong adhesive[/photo]

• Due to the clip that was used on the Toyo Roki to bind the filter media together, the overall length of the Toyo Roki was slightly less than that of the Filtech. This essentially means that the Toyo Roki had less filter material. We’re splitting hairs here but I’d say the Toyo Roki filter media was maybe 1/16 of an inch shorter than the Filtech filter media when we stretched them both out on the floor. Again, this is so hopelessly insignificant as to never be noticed in the performance of either filter.
overall length[/photo] small differences in length[/photo]

My hope with these observations is that you’ll see, as I did, that the Filtech and Toyo Roki are for all intents and purposes, IDENTICAL! As with all mass produced items they have minor inconsistencies or variances but they are so small that they would never have a measurable effect on the day to day performance of either filter. The important thing here is that both filters were of a quality design. If one thing stood out it was how heavy the filter inlet caps were, they were extremely rugged and surprised all of us when we picked them up. Myself and the two guys that helped me were both surprised by the heft that the inlet caps had, both of these filters are built to take a beating.
inlet caps[/photo]

Here is a link to the rest of the gallery. I have some addtional photos in there of the filters and of the 'surgical process' that we used for slicing them open.

My Thoughts:
I would have no issue at all with using the Filtech in place of the Toyo Roki. It appears that, unlike some other filter designs from Honda, the quality of the S2000 filter lineup continues to be superb. It literally looks as though Filtech has duplicated the Toyo Roki part for part, these are as close to twins as it gets. Yes, there are minute differences such as the number of inlet holes and the color of the filter media but the overall package is the same. If we were to remove the brand names off of these filters and compare them side by side, I would not be able to tell the difference between the Toyo Roki and the Filtech until I turned them over and looked at the number of inlet holes. They are identical in every other aspect.

Conversely, if the filters were taken apart in pieces on a table and left unlabeled, I would be unable to identify with any certainty which pieces would belong to the Toyo Roki and which pieces would belong to the Filtech. Again, they are identical.
It would appear that, because the part # has not changed that Honda has continued to keep the 15400-PCX-004 filter specially designed for the S2000. Even though these filters now sport the Filtech name, they are for all intents and purposes identical to their Japanese brethren. The good news is that you don’t need to stockpile Toyo Roki filters, this Filtech looks like it’s up to the job. Once again Honda has provided a unique, quality part for the S2000 that can meet the specialized applications of this car.

I will say it one last time, the Filtech is identical to the Toyo Roki, there are no discernable differences between these two filters. While I haven’t flow tested either of these filters I would expect them both to perform equally. I will have no problem using my remaining stock of Filtech 15400-PCX-004 filters on my S2000 and will continue to use them in the future. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats better S2000 oil filter? (Tyson)

so nobody knows who makes the HAMP filters or where they fall on the scale?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:31 PM

I only use OEM on all my cars, cant go wrong with quality
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jzenki)

made in taiwan
Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: (melsun_ap1)

Anyone ever used/tried Purolator PUREOne filters?

How about Castrol Syntec 0w30 GC (Made in Germany)?

Quick Reply: whats better S2000 oil filter?