Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

s2k sound system

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k sound system

im not very happy with the sound system.... im older now and i dont want to do my system all crazy like how i was wen i was younger.... i dont wanan add a SUB in the trunk.... i was just wondering what kinda speakers are u guys running in your s2k's... im lookin for something with good bass too thankss
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: s2k sound system

get s-pods. http://www.streetsmarttechnologies.net/
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

different ears different speakers. go to stores and listen to different models. see what you like.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 PM

yeahhhhhh....
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pioneers type-s or r
good bass, treble check it out at best buy
Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks....
Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm happy with my infinity kappas - always have been..
Old 03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

mb quart or focal
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

It really depends on your budget, as I'm sure you're well aware. You should check out the www.s2ki.com forum (for S2000s specifically), and the Electronics forum. Lots of good pictures and data there for our cars. Our car is very different than the "standard Civic/Integra" out there.

In mine, I have a relatively simple system, but it sounds amazing. With the top down at 80mph, I have no problems hearing everything clearly. I have a hardtop (which stays on 99% of the time) which actually makes the stereo sound a little better.

Infinity Kappas in the doors, Alpine CD9000something headunit, Alpine 4 channel amp in the trunk (where the spare tire is), and a custom sub box made by DarkSideSubs with a 10 inch Alpine sub (I forgot the model).

Here's a pic of the tray for the spare tire well. I originally had the amp mounted where you see it in the pic, but I moved it to the spare tire area.

Here's the sub box/enclosure. I got it from http://www.darksidesubs.com/. The user is also on www.s2ki.com. He has several different variations available depending on where you want to mount the sub. I still have basically all my trunk space and the system sounds great.

Seems very simple with only a few hundred dollars, but it sounds amazing. With the doors open in a parking lot, it sounds like an outdoor concert haha. I think with the small size of our cars, you don't need to spend a lot for a great system.

Note that the Infinity door speakers had tweeters built in. The car already had tweeters in the doors. Those stayed in. There are also speakers in the roll hoops which still work too. It all works together pretty well I think.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice set up... but im not trying to go the sub route... im done with that stuff... i just want good speakers that has good bass... and not distorted
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JDMxNguyeN
nice set up... but im not trying to go the sub route... im done with that stuff... i just want good speakers that has good bass... and not distorted
Understood. But keep in mind that the sub will give the music a much greater range. Since we have a convertible, you will lose lots of the sound to the outside air. High frequencies will be heard, but that's about all you will hear. The area from the trunk to the front is basically all open and any small sub back there (even a 6 inch or 8 inch) will travel nicely through the car.

Is there a reason you don't want the sub? I didn't want the big boomy bass that lots of kids like, and I don't have that at all. In fact, it's pretty quiet (unless you're in the car). Heck, I'm 31 years old! Haha. A 6.5 inch speaker in the doors won't give you much bass no matter how good it is, especially if the volume is turned up. I suppose you could put in rear speakers to give you more range, but I personally haven't heard an S2000 with that setup. It is quite common though.

I don't suppose you're anywhere in the NJ area, are you? If so, you're welcome to hear my car.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no sorry im in LA.... thanks for the gesture... i spent alot of money on systems and they always get jacked.... HAHAH! i had integra wit 2 15 inch subs in the truck.... that was NO JOKE.... HAHA! but yeaa i rather have more trunk room and not attract attention to my car any more... i really would love to listen to ur car tho sounds sick....
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with shamoo, and one day i think i'll do the same thing - i like the sub to the side of the trunk lie that. But for now i just have Infinity Kappa 6.5's component with an Alpine headunit. No amps, no subs, and the sound is pretty damn good. I can hear everything clearly with the windows and roof down going full tit.
But i love music and it can always be louder for me, so out comes the cheque book..
Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by JDMxNguyeN
no sorry im in LA.... thanks for the gesture... i spent alot of money on systems and they always get jacked.... HAHAH! i had integra wit 2 15 inch subs in the truck.... that was NO JOKE.... HAHA! but yeaa i rather have more trunk room and not attract attention to my car any more... i really would love to listen to ur car tho sounds sick....
Ahh yes, LA is quite far from me...

If you're looking for trunk room, I would recommend doing something like mine. Unfortunately, DarkSideSubs is quite pricey for their "custom" boxes. Many people either make their own or buy pre-made boxes that fit nicely into the well in our trunks. Sometimes even if you fill that space up, you're not losing any "usable" trunk space. Depends on what you need to carry though.

Check out www.s2ki.com in the Electronics section. There are some subs out there that actually fit under the seat. You can be pretty low key with sound systems in the S2000. That might be a good idea if you continue having theft issues.

Maybe something like this for the well area?

Unfortunately my method or the one above is the only solution if you want to keep trunk space. I know you keep saying you don't want a sub, but I'm gonna keep pushing haha. :D

In any case, I would recommend starting out with at least a good headunit. Most of the "good" ones are able to work with the existing OEM radio controls on the left side (extra hardware required). Start there, then get some nice 6.5" door speakers. I'm not sure if you have an AP1 or AP2, but you could also utilize the existing tweeter pods if you have them. Then amp, then sub (if you want).
Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ that.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm currently running a Kenwood KDC-BT742U with some Infinity Reference 6.5" component speakers that are powered by a Kenwood 2x170W amp. I would have liked to have gotten the Kappa's, but couldn't find any place that still had the components available. I'm not running a sub either, but have been contemplating it. Reason why, is not to shake up the whole neighborhood or anything, but some of the music I'm listening to, my system feels like it's lacking a lot of low-end for accoustic low-frequency's. For Rap & Hip-hop, I don't feel that the sub would be a big deal, because most of the notes used for the beats falls around the 60-80 hz frequency range, which the components can hit. Some jazz and even classical stuff I nerd out to from time to time though, have parts where it dips below that range, which my system is missing out at.

But if you just want a simple system without drawing too much attention while you get to enjoy it, consider some quality components like the MB Quartz or Infinity Perfect if you can find them. Get a good head unit and amp though to power them. I used to be anti-amplifiers because of the weight, but they really do make a dramatic difference for you music at ALL volume levels.

Oh ya JDM, if you're in the LA area, make your way out to a Top Down meet sometime, a couple of my friends and I that aren't in that crew usually try to show up to their meets since everyone there is cool. You can hear my setup for yourself if you show up.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always been a fan of Infiniti speakers - either budget References or mid-range Kappas components. Must have a good amp though.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm running kappas with an Alpine headunit and whilst i agree that an amp is better, just this headunit/speaker combo still gives a 300% improvement over stock.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ I concur. The stock speakers are just utter junk. For those on a tight budget, changing out the standard speakers for something of a better woofer material will offer night and day difference.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could always upgrade the speakers and get a small sub that fits under the passenger seat... I have never heard speakers which themselves have a good quality bass, but that's just me
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm seeing allot of threads from you, have your tried out the search feature?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahha white smoke u deleted my post in one of ur posts.... HAHAH! so are u here to flame up my post?.... and im here alot becuhs if u notice... im a honda-tech fan.... i can go to other sites but i dont... feel free to flame... idk...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

zegs - i would like that... thanks for the input... let me kno the days u will be going or wat evers ill make my way down...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a game plan jdm. it'll probably be in a week or two though.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okkk good ****