Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

NA or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA or Supercharger?

I'd like to get more out of my S2K and have been debating whether to go with a few NA bolt ons and minor additions, or a Comptech supercharger.

If I go NA, I'm thinking of adding the Amuse R1 extra single outlet exhaust and a Toda or Spoon header and Spoon intake duct. I've already ordered my Mugen thermostat, fan switch and radiator cap and have added the OEM lip, side strakes and wing (04' wing). I may consider upgrading to Volk CE28N wheels in the future, and I plan on adding an xbrace. I love the car and don't want to go all out with modifications and turn it into an NA beast. But I would like to get a bit more out of it for everyday driving and the occasional autocross.

If I decide to go with a Comptech supercharger, I'm worried about long-term reliability as well as the additional cost of having to upgrade the clutch and potentially the rear diff and other parts. The good thing is that I could get a lot more power for the price of a JDM I/H/E.

So what do you think? NA? Supercharger?

I want to keep the car clean and fairly stock looking other than a few mods here and there. So you can forget about carbon fiber hoods, trunks and numerous other pieces!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (natedoggs2k)

I say supercharger. Way more for your money. Reliability probably won't be an issue if you get it tuned.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (jolt-tsp)

That's what I was thinking with the supercharger. Especially since I wouldn't be driving "*****-to-the-wall" every single time I was driving. It would be "reserved" for when I really needed it. And yes, for the money, I'd get more.

I'm just tempted to get some nice JDM pieces. I'd still need an exhaust even if I did the supercharger, and a header also helps add horsepower. The Comptech supercharger kit comes with its own intake, so I don't need to get that.

Decisions, decisions....

Anyone know a good place to get the Spoon drop-in filter for less than $200? I can't believe the price they are charging for a filter!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:18 AM

i rode in a SC'ed s2k and down low it feels the same as a stock s2k..IMO u dont feel the power until u get in the higher rpm so as far as all around driving NA is better for stop and go traffic...if u do more sprinted driving SC is the way to go...if u do go NA i would suggest getting the aem ems, amuse R1 exhaust like u said, amuse or toda header, with mugen or j's intake...screw the spoon...i had it and that pinch sucks ***...maybe a set of toda spec a cams, and ported head...u will love it...the cost of NA and SC tuned setup i think is almost the same when u have to get it tuned and everything...just going NA is way more time consuming

if u had real doe...i would give hytech exhaust a call and ask about the s2k kit he is coming out with...its supposed to make some serious power...but only tiem wil tell
Old 07-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bang for your buck, hands down super charger. For the n/a set up you listed, i'd be surprised if you gained 10whp. Like vapor has already stressed heavily on this forum, you need a standalone tuning ecu to tune the car with if you really wanna take advantage of your bolt-ons. Custom fuel and ignition timing maps are needed for your car which means dyno time is required. Dyno-time is pretty expensive if you have ever gotten your car tuned before. Expect rates to be around 100-150/hour.

Maybe it would make your decision easier if we added up the costs for both set ups:

N/A Setup:
-Amuse R1 ~$2000
-Toda/Spoon header ~$1000
-Spoon intake (which won't give you any gains on the dyno) ~$500
-AEM EMS ~$1200
----------------------------------Total: $4700 (without dyno time)
Gains: range from 20-40whp (although i still haven't seen it in person)

Supercharger setup:
-Comptech supercharger ~$4200
-AEM EMS ~$1200
----------------------------------Total: $5400(without dyno time)
Gains: range from 100-120whp

Now that is all an over-simplified view of the costs. Of course there are gonna be differences in labor costs if you don't plan on doing it yourself, but i'm just trying to give you a ball park figure of how much things will cost. So there you have it, 5400 for 100-120 whp gain or 4700 for a 20-40whp gain. Pretty sure you will lose some reliability with the comptech supercharger and that the n/a set up will retain stock reliability. I can tell you this though...there is something about n/a that gets me tingly everytime i drive my car. Maybe its the sound of pure rawness or the instant throttle reponse, but a N/A car for me is definitely more fun to drive. You will soon get bored of the boost. The extra 100-120whp will be great when you first get the car back, but once you get used to it, you're going to want more and the addiction continues.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (Project SSAP1)

Really? You didn't like the Spoon intake? That little carbon fiber intake duct looks great, and I like that you can still use the stock box with a better drop in filter. Muz has one as well. It's a little cheaper and can be painted to match the car. It seems like a good addition. What did you not like about it?

I like the Mugen intake, but that damn thing is expensive! Of course, going NA is an expensive route (look at the Amuse exhaust! ).

The S2K is hard to improve upon, but I do want to get a bit more out of it. I like the Comptech supercharger, and I know that it gives power the same as the engine/VTEC works, which is good for autocrossing (not overpowering when you don't want it, but good power when you do).

Anyone here have some NA mods like the header, intake and exhaust? I've also looked into Fujitsubo, but I really love the Amuse!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Yeah, supercharger is more cost effective for the horsepower...but I have to agree about driving an NA car.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Go turbo.....
beroz
Old 07-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (s2k_PA)

No thanks! I need to drive my car every day!
Old 07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd go with a sc..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StinkyTofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You will soon get bored of the boost. The extra 100-120whp will be great when you first get the car back, but once you get used to it, you're going to want more and the addiction continues.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

same as going na, it's a constant addiction you just have to know how to control yourself... everyone gets bored after a while and then they want more power, more speed, more everything..
Old 07-01-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (03s2kblue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 03s2kblue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd go with a sc..

same as going na, it's a constant addiction you just have to know how to control yourself... everyone gets bored after a while and then they want more power, more speed, more everything.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

u damn right!!!! i first had an integra LS..wanted more power..got a gsr...wanted more power skipped the ITR and went s2k..need more power!!! time for an nsx .....i just cant get enough...
Old 07-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project SSAP1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

u damn right!!!! i first had an integra LS..wanted more power..got a gsr...wanted more power skipped the ITR and went s2k..need more power!!! time for an nsx .....i just cant get enough...</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL! If you get a NSX i'm gonna hate your forever (j/k)!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 03s2kblue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
same as going na, it's a constant addiction you just have to know how to control yourself... everyone gets bored after a while and then they want more power, more speed, more everything.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, i must agree with you on that one. But i'm sure if someone spends 2 grand on an amuse cat-back exhaust and can't feel any real butt dyno results, they won't be thinking "I want more power." They'll be thinking "Wow my wallet is really empty "
Old 07-01-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (StinkyTofu)

No point in spending that on the Amuse exhaust. Okay, so its titanium and will save you some weight, but if you get a stainless single pipe system hats half the price and maybe 5-8kg's heavier.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:36 PM

I'm with you, had an Integra LS, to many friends with GSRs, thought about getting the type R, and decided on an 04 S2k. gonna get the NSX when i make more money. It is true though, always wanting something faster.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:22 PM

i say n/a...and thats the rout im going w/ my s2...imo u can't go wrong and word has it that you can take it to 10200 w/ the aem ems...
and thats my next move w/ the mugen intake and ems.
of cousre you gotts replace the rod bolts for extra strength--
Old 07-01-2004, 08:33 PM

i'm just speaking from word of mouth here, but a friend with a SC told me, (vortech by the way) that he only gets full boost (7psi) at like 7800-9k....below that its not that MUCH of a difference. He took the SC to build it for NA now and says he likes it better ...
Old 07-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (Hypersonik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hypersonik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No point in spending that on the Amuse exhaust. Okay, so its titanium and will save you some weight, but if you get a stainless single pipe system hats half the price and maybe 5-8kg's heavier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, the price of the amuse exhaust is a little steep for the little gains that i'll bring.... if he wants a titanium why not spend like $800or$900 on a veilside tear drop???
Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 PM

amuse imo is the way to go!
weight savings is one of the most important things when it comes to n/a power w/ the s2.
the amuse can is a total of 6lbs(some say less), but it saves a total of 59-60lbs and nets some of the best gains thus far outta any exhuast.
i personally will go w/ the amuse exhaust and header w/ the mugen intake.
add the ems w/ tuning and walla you'll have pure power for the canyons or track-
Old 07-02-2004, 03:46 AM

Assuming you have a 00-03 and if you are thinking of staying N/A, you could always get a stroker kit (eg Feels 2.3L or Toda 2.2L). This should give you more torque and HP.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (Yobz)

Have any of you that say you're only getting power way up high tried an overdrive pulley? Not sure where they're available, but I know UR makes a crank with a alternator overdrive (as the supercharges for the ones they build share that belt) for most other motors. I heard end of summer for an s2k one from UR.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:35 AM

Major misconception that a turbo is unreliable.... I guess it is only for a few and u can only believe it is reliable when you have one....
Beroz
Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 AM
danielm2

N/A!
Old 07-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (s2k_PA)

ya, turbo and supercharger are really the same thing. I guess a supercharger is more "predictable", but they both can ram the same amount of air at the same rate down the intake. I guess if you don't run an intercooler, the turbo runs hotter air to the engine, but on the same page, if you do run a decent intercooler, the turbo could put colder air in the engine than the supercharger. In my book they're about the same on the reliability issue given you do both correctly.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (Yobz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yobz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Assuming you have a 00-03 and if you are thinking of staying N/A, you could always get a stroker kit (eg Feels 2.3L or Toda 2.2L). This should give you more torque and HP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Inline-Pro of Springfield VA has a 2.5L stroker kit for the s2k...
Old 07-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA or Supercharger? (03s2kblue)

Eh, I don't really see the point in NA mods. I can't justify the cost/performance ratio, but this is all my opinion and my wallet. If you decide to stay NA, you could always run ducting hose from your fake front vent to the bottom of the stock air box which would get you a spoon snorkel effect without the cost and without the upper pinch. The amuse, you already know my feelings toward it

If I had to choose I would prefer to go turbo since Stage6 is basically an hour away from you. Add an ems and you should be good to go. SC is the easier route, but don't let Joy tell you that vtec and turbo is a no go. She knows her stuff, but there are tons of turbo GSR, ITR, SI, RSX, and vtec preludes that will prove that vtec and turbo can coexist. You're not really hands on, so you may probably prefer the SC, but don't think that a turbo automatically kills the car.

Some people like the boost feel while others like the NA pull. Me personally, after having a turbo Integra, I prefer the NA feel right now for what I want to do presently. Maybe after I get the autox and road racing bug out, I'll go back to modding to have a fast street car. I miss the bov and turbine spooling sounds, but the pull and sounds of vtec screaming makes up for it for me right now.

In the end, you just need to figure out what you want to do and where you want to take the car....easy FI mods gains compared to harder NA mods gains. I'm sure if NA mods worked as well for us as RSX reflash/intake mods at the price, this would be an easier decision. Take a ride in Eddie's car before he sells it. It's not an s2k, but it gives you an idea of what 300 to the wheels FI'ed feels like.

Modified by acuraintegraman at 12:18 PM 7/4/2004

Quick Reply: NA or Supercharger?