Notices
Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

Bought an 85 Aero, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an 85 Aero, need help!

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the site, sorry to come on so strong and maybe all over the place...

Ok, so back in November I bought an '85 Honda Aero 50 from a guy off cragslist for $200 (seems a little high comparing to others). He said he was a retired police officer and that he got it from their impound lot or something like that and that it was originally stolen. Because it was stolen, he was using a flathead screwdriver to start it so obviously, it needs an ignition, and I have no keys. He also said he was riding it around a little bit and wound up having to replace the throttle cable and it needed to be adjusted.

Now since it was just about winter and I live in Ohio I wasn't in much of a rush to get it running, and I wound up buying a house and moving in March along with a million other things so I'm just now getting around to fixing it up. The problem is, I have almost no idea what I'm doing when it comes to bikes/scooters.

I bought a battery, had it charged and have hooked it up to the scooter just before just to see what happens and for some reason the light in the back always just comes on. Seems like the least of my worries.

I talked to an auto-tech at my job who gave the scooter a little check and he said he thought the throttle cable seemed to be right but suggested replacing the spark plug and maybe the wires. Since it sat forever, I also wanted to drain/replace the oil and gas that have been sitting in it.

I had a friend who was going to come help me but he doesn't seem to want to help anymore for whatever reason so I went out and tried fooling around with it but as usual - I'm overwhelmed by all of the stuff I don't understand.
I took a picture and circled everything in different colors and all of my questions are in the picture.

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Again sorry for so much bs and rambling.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bought an 85 Aero, need help!

you can but sometimes its easier to remove the whole tank and dump the gas out of the top or float hole there is usually a small screen that sometimes gets clogged and stuck so its a good idea to remove it anyway

Honda doesn't usually have things hanging like that my guess is it clips or slides into something that may be missing

spark plug socket for that size spark plug something if it's too tight of a fit you can put the scooter on a stand and disconnect the top of the rear shock and the engine should drop down a bit and give you more room

that is a oil filter/screen to keep dirt out of the engine it needs to go back in when you are done

no, there is usually a foam filter and a cover that goes over that sometimes you can find an uni filter small enough to go in its place, however that improves the chance of getting water in your engine if you are riding in the rain

you can usually buy keysets for older hondas but not always, depending on the model they usually come in sets of 2/3 with 2 keys for around $100 depending on the scooter (sometimes older scooters have discontinued parts but I can help you find them probably)

It is a kick starter for starting the bike without the use of the starter or the battery (it makes screwdriver starts much easier)

let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by da9licious; 08-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.