Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

?Yet another Question dealing with my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?Yet another Question dealing with my engine?

I have another component I dont know what it is. The pulley is wobbling like no other. Barely caught it. Started last night after a piece of a 2X4 fell off the truck in front of me and bounced under me. I believe it may be the culprit. It is the pulley that is the lowest, below the alternator, that is ran on the same belt as the alternator. Is this an Idler pulley or Tensioner pulley or what component is on it so i can figure out how to replace it before I eat belts? First tuner thus all the question.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ?Yet another Question dealing with my engine?

Sounds like you're referring to the AC compressor.

What is a first tuner?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hawkze_2.3
Sounds like you're referring to the AC compressor.

What is a first tuner?
its my first car that is a tuner. Hell, my first vehicle that doesnt have AC removed when I bought it. I usually ran old ford pickups from mid 80s and chevy pickups from the 60s. The pulley is wobbling, any idea how much it would cost to get those bearings replaced, or what would be needed to do it myself?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well its either the ac compressor or the crank pulley. the crank pulley should be the lowest. not 100% on that though. you can fix it yourself for the price of a new pulley. there is no bearings in that. and if its the ac compressor i believe you have to replace the whole compressor. i dont think the pulley comes off. correct me if im wrong.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PFCAcosta
its my first car that is a tuner. Hell, my first vehicle that doesnt have AC removed when I bought it. I usually ran old ford pickups from mid 80s and chevy pickups from the 60s. The pulley is wobbling, any idea how much it would cost to get those bearings replaced, or what would be needed to do it myself?
Oh I guess I just don't know what a 'tuner' car is... Is it the AC pulley or the crank pulley? The AC pulley will look different, in that it has some extra stuff on the outside of it for the internal clutch, but the crank pulley is just a straight up pulley with a bolt in the center.

If it's the AC compressor, I would get a new or rebuilt compressor; and if its the crank pulley hopefully you just bent the pulley and you can just replace it.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes and a compressor can get expensive if you buy a new or re-man. the crank pulley bolt may have came loose and thats whats making the pulley wobble. personally ive never seen this but it is a possibility. if thats the case, lucky you. just tighten it back down and give her a go. and hope it didnt bend.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea its not the crank pulley lol. I have worked on engines before. Justg never any with an ac compressor so for all I knew that could be the size of a quarter. Its the compressor pulley that is wobbly. I just need to know how to fixthat. The compressor itself is good. Still blowing cold. Just the pully is making metal on metal f*ck me dry breaing noise.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: ?Yet another Question dealing with my engine?

If you are sure it isn't the crank pulley then yeah it more than likely is the AC compressor and like someone said before there isn't a "fix" for it you will have to replace it! Be glad it isn't the crank pulley. I'm actually dealing with that right now. The crank bolt backed itself out and the splines on the pulley didnt look too bad but I replaced the pulley anyway. It lasted about two and a half weeks before doing it again, after the second time I pulled the motor and could actually see where thr end of the crank had been sheared off. The splines on the crank and the new pulley were almost completely gone!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt think there was a fix for that. so i was right. lol. and i knew someone out there has had the crank pulley bolt come loose. so buy a new compressor and put it on. but you will have to re charge it because you have to take all the lines off of it and you loose all your freyon.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pay someone to evac the system before you do this, that stuff is in there under a lot of pressure, the second you remove a line freon is going to spray all over.