Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Yet another WHICH BRAND gasket, rings, bearings topic..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet another WHICH BRAND gasket, rings, bearings topic..

Ok...so I am running out of money from these ripoff shops. I am proceeding with the build even though the last shop didn't get the cylinder rim smoothed off very much. Several local mechanics say the remaining slight rim transition will smooth off over time with absolutely no problem. Only a couple (myself included) seemed worried. Right now, I don't care if it blows up on startup. BUT!!! I still want decent quality parts so the rest of the build is trustworthy.

On eBay, there is a kit with: King bearings, NPR piston rings, and a generic looking package that says "Big 3 Gaskets"....all for $116, shipped.

I have searched and:

King bearings are somewhat dependable. Few complaints.
NPR piston rings are very dependable and have few complaints.

"Big 3 Gaskets".....I can't find much discussion of their reliability.
JIS full gasket set is $46.50, shipped.

Anyway, I NEEEED some input on which gasket brands have served you well. Also, feel free to give input on the King bearings and NPR rings. I will buy the gaskets, rings, and bearings separately if that's what I need to do to get good parts, but I am hoping to hear that the "Big 3 Gaskets" will do fine.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Yet another WHICH BRAND gasket, rings, bearings topic..

Ok....doing some searching. Just on eBay, I have found the following:

$116 + free shipping
King Main & rod bearings and thrust washers
"Big 3 Gaskets" full gasket set. (never heard of them...please give input)
NPR Piston Rings set

OR SEPARTELY, I can buy:

------------
$34.50 +12 s/h = JIS full gasket Kit
$47.69 + 0 s/h = Mizumo Full Gasket Kit
$56.95 + 0 s/h = Eristic Full Gasket Kit
------------

------------
$30.40 + 12 s/h = JIS Full Bearing Kit
$42.74 + 0 s.h = King Full Bearing Kit
$86.81 + 12.50 s/h = ACL Full Bearing Kit
------------

------------
$36.89 + 0 = NPR Piston Rings
$98.99 + 0 = NPR Piston Rings w/ 4 NEW pistons
------------

So I am seriously considering King Bearings and NPR Piston Rings UNLESS someone else can make an affordable alternative that is more respected. I have no idea which gasket kit to use. Any suggestions on a gasket kit?? This motor will NEVER see 300hp...will never be turbo, and it will probably never even see 275hp. My goal is only 230-250hp at the crank. (h22a1, skunk2 IM/Tb, exhaust, p72 ecu, hondata s300, f22 crank/rods, estimated compression 10 or 10.5

Out of the options I have found and listed above, I would probably choose:

$42.74 + 0 = King Main/Rod Bearing + thrust washer
$98.99 + 0 = NPR piston rings with new pistons (because it's $60 more for an extra set of pistons)
??????? = Gasket set unknown...probably JIS because I used JIS upper kit before with no problems.

Please add some input and feel free to list/link to respectable/affordable alternatives.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost 300 views, and no one has made any comment. Please be kind enough to share your personal experience. I have found feedback on King and NPR so I am going with their bearings and piston rings (unless someone talks me out of it). But has anyone used these gasket brands??
Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm_rb20
Almost 300 views, and no one has made any comment...
Yeah, you get what you pay for. You say you want quality, yet your searching for Ebay specials....
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Yeah, you get what you pay for. You say you want quality, yet your searching for Ebay specials....
People sell Porsche's on eBay, but they aren't crap. The problem with eBay is finding the quality brands and staying away from the crap. Do you have an affordable alternative for my gasket kit, or are you just here to try to be funny and get another +1 to your post count?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just built my teg with itm rod bearings,itm valve stem seals and eve(evergreen) jdm piston rings..and eristic metal headgasket

prices were about the same as the ones listed..
my teg is beast so the parts must be good

sorry if this isnt a response you were looking for,i didnt really understand what you were looking to hear LOL

my piston rings i am extremely happy about..
evergreen has whole re ring and gasket kits for like 80 bucks and it includes bearings,rings and all gaskets..
Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this on a h22? I have had no problems with the kits on ebay like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Prelud...e1c074&vxp=mtr
I have used 3 with no issues.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Thepowderblue
Is this on a h22? I have had no problems with the kits on ebay like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Prelud...e1c074&vxp=mtr
I have used 3 with no issues.
Yeah, I saw many that didn't even have a picture of the packaging and had no mention of any brand name. I want something with an actual name so I can check on its user-feedback. I am not doing a crazy build. I just need something that is proven to be effective, but without a brand I have no idea what I am getting.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People sell Porsche's on eBay, but they aren't crap. The problem with eBay is finding the quality brands and staying away from the crap.
Right ,you claim you want quality ,but are rolling the dice with the crap you find on Ebay. Go with an established brand,or stop claiming you want quality and tell it like it is, you want cheap.

Do you have an affordable alternative for my gasket kit, or are you just here to try to be funny and get another +1 to your post count?
Nah. IDGAF about your ghetto build. Lets get this post count up!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Nah. IDGAF about your ghetto build. Lets get this post count up!!
I didn't think you would be of any help. There are many times when I am tempted to tell people to "search" because I have seen the answer out there but I don't have it memorized. However, I am nice enough to look up the answer and go ahead and tell them the answer before I would assume they haven't already looked and just couldn't find it.

So I ask again...to anyone...Do you have any experience with these gasket brands OR do you have an affordable alternative to suggest?

To you, DCFIVER: What kind of 24karat gold gaskets are you running? Must be some awesome kind of gaskets to give you that smug attitude that lets you look done on us little people that actually look at the pricetags...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, since you are so concerned with my budget. I have a wife, kids, bills, mortgage, and right now I have 3 projects going:

My daily: 1993 Nissan hardbody with RB20DET swap. Great truck but the rear main just started leaking.

My other daily: 1995 accord, h22, skunk2 IM/tb, p72, etc etc, but it spun a bearing and I am in a pinch.

My real project: 1988 Mazda b2200 ext cab, bagged. Runs and drives but needs a headgasket or preferably a v8 swap, so yeah, I am trying to be cheap on my daily honda-toy to put any spare money aside for the v8 swap.

I said before that I will never see MASSIVE hp and I am never going to TURBO this motor...it is just a fun daily-toy. I DO NOT NEED the super-awesome-24karat gold gaskets that you must be running. I need reliable and economical, and I also said this before: Reliable products are sold on eBay....you just have to know what to stay away from....which...is...kinda...why ...i ....am .....asking......duuuuhhhh...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always use acl and oem gaskets and never once had an issue .. Own rings aren't much too. I am right there with you and understand the saving money but sometimes you just bite the bullet and get parts that last. There are other places to get "good enuff" gaskets like rockauto but make sure to use a oem head gasket.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
I always use acl and oem gaskets and never once had an issue .. Own rings aren't much too. I am right there with you and understand the saving money but sometimes you just bite the bullet and get parts that last. There are other places to get "good enuff" gaskets like rockauto but make sure to use a oem head gasket.
This guy summed it up best...
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To you, DCFIVER: What kind of 24karat gold gaskets are you running? Must be some awesome kind of gaskets to give you that smug attitude that lets you look done on us little people that actually look at the pricetags...
OEM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
Yeah, I really couldn't afford to get it honed if I didn't have to, but a few people said to go ahead and be safe. So I did, got shoddy work, and wayyy over-charged. Now I am tapped out of cash.

I will probably be using a separate thicker head gasket due to valve clearance, but I need a decent kit for all the other gaskets. So far, I have a few votes for OEM. When i get off work this afternoon, I will search for the cheapest OEM gaskets for comparison.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished another hour of searching, and I am not any closer to finding the OEM FULL gasket kit. I thought someone posted a link but I can't find it now.

Can someone give me a part number for the OEM h22a1 FULL gasket kit, or maybe tell me what website has them? I have found OEM Lower and OEM headgasket kits, but I don't know if I am missing anything by getting those TWO kits.

Last edited by jdm_rb20; 06-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since i dont see a really great answer on here im gonna give it a go.

Ive used ebay gaskets before and ive used king and NPR Rings and the pistons are good to i used vitara on a d16 they are good quality. The only thing i wouldnt use is ebay headgaskets go fel pro or oem because the headgaskets blow literally (personal experience) only had about 50 miles on it before it went. Other than that ive never had any problems with the gaskets leaking other than the head gasket.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad this came back up,cuz that ebay eristic metal headgasket that i recommended a while back just blew to **** a month afterward LOL.it was a piece of ****!I only had it on for a month if even that!daily driven,not beaten.

I replaced it with an eve(evergreen/mizumo) headgasket and it is way better quality.I havent had the slightest sign of a leak..every gasket/oring/etc in my motor is evergreen now.ive added the brand to one of my trusted : )

everything else has been great!

i also recently installed npr 81mm pistons and they are SEXY and my motor feels SOLID as a ****!

i think the thing with ebay is,dont get the cheapest.get the second cheapest LOL
cheapest=dont last long
second cheapest=decent quality
third cheapest=who the kcuf cares about brand names?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When it comes to engine parts, I bite the bullet and do it once...the right way. These parts are the most critical in the whole assembly.

Also, why runs thicker gasket? There is no way you are running a cam big enough to hit the pistons ( at only 10.5 compression) and you certainly don't have a tall enough piston done with that compression to be concerned. Have you measured piston to valve?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Well in 1st motor I ran acl bearings and aftermarket gasket kit. New bigger motor acl bearings. GE headgasket and aftermarket ebay full seal kit for everything else expect valve seals have not had a problem
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gaskets are just gaskets. use any. just over clean all surfaces and seat right and apply an even amount of pressure all around and torque them to spec.

also since you'll have the engine out, change the timing, water and oil pump (pretty cheap) and flush the radiator real good. and use good fluids when you top them off. keep your engine running cool and any gasket will last another 150k