Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Wish list.. thoughts, advice, recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish list.. thoughts, advice, recommendations?

Hey guys. I thought I'd post a list of things I want to do (immediately or eventually) to my car and get some opinions. Most of the actual upgrade mods are a long way off, because I need to improve my driving first.

The kinds of responses I am looking for are...
Your own opinions of my wish list.
Advice on costs and availability.
Recommendations on brands and parts.
Installtion options(DIY or Shop)

Please help me out!

01) Exhaust -
02) Header -
03) Air Intake - bought it
04) Fog Lights -
05) Blue valve cover -
06) front lip - bought it
07) S2000 Str wheel -
08) SH sides and rear - Done
09) OEM Wheels - Done
10) front Grill - Done
11) Front strut bar - Done
12) HIDs - Done
13) Transmission swap - Done
14) LSD -
15) Lower tie bars -
16) Sway bars -
17) Coilover+shocks -
18) Rear strut bar -
19) Legend brake upgrade - bought it
20) Lightweight Flywheel -

Header -
Mugen
SMSP
Prospeed

LSD -
OEM
KAAZ
QUAIFE

Tie Bars -

Sway Bars -
Neuspeed
Suspension Techniques

Coilovers/shocks -
Tein
KYB
Koni
OEM w/Neuspeed springs

Rear strut -
Spoon
replica

Brake Pads -
axxis, endless?

Modified by kotetu at 1:06 AM 6/11/2003
Old 06-08-2003, 10:06 PM

well..... how about the legend brake caliper upgrade??

I got the calipers for $70 and just order a brand new pair of Brembo Blanks for about $100.

Blue Valve Cover - I got mine for a little under $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...31111

but when I installed it the alternator wires dont exactly fit onto the valve cover. maybe because I used the USDM Si bracket. who knows??
Old 06-09-2003, 01:40 AM

Default Re: (Daboi630)

thx, I forgot to mention that, I already have the calipers and am waiting on the rotors.

and the Stainless steel brakelines, and new pads. hrm
Old 06-09-2003, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wish list.. thoughts, advice, recommendations? (kotetu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kotetu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The kinds of responses I am looking for are...
Your own opinions of my wish list.
Advice on costs and availability.
Recommendations on brands and parts.
Installation options (DIY or Shop)

Please help me out!

01) Dual (L&R) exhausts - WHY?!? You may actually lose hp dude, and it looks ricey.

04) Fog Lights - JDM
05) Blue valve cover - I want one too, AFTER my car is not so ******* slow.

07) S2000 Str wheel - Sorry, but again WHY?!?
08) SH sides and rear - Done
09) OEM Wheels - Done
10) front Grill - Done
11) Front strut bar - Done
12) HIDs - Done
13) Transmission swap - Done
19) Legend brake upgrade -

<U>Header</U>
Mugen
SMSP
Prospeed ? don't know much about it...

<U>Intake</U>
AEM CAI replica bought (need to install)
Should have gotten the actual AEM or an Injen; dynos have proven that there IS a difference, even if it's only a few horsies...

<U>Front lip</U>
I like the Greddy lip personally, or even better the Mugen replica nose.

<U>LSD</U>
OEM
KAAZ
QUAIFE don't have one, but always heard good things about them

<U>Tie Bars</U>
Still waiting on my Skunk2 rear lower from tornactive, and will probably get the Tanabe front lower tie.

<U>Sway Bars</U>
Neuspeed
Suspension Techniques The price is right. Like $219 at tornactive.

<U>Coilovers/shocks</U>
MUGEN!!! 1" drop, and reputed to be the best mix between street & track. But I'm a Mugen *****, so...
Tein
KYB
Koni
OEM w/Neuspeed springs

<U>Rear strut</U>
The REAL Spoon bar is only $165 at tornactive.
Spoon
replica

Legend brakes -
calipers bought, waiting on rotors.
Pads? axxis, endless?
I got Hawk pads from King, they were reasonably priced. I am putting them on Friday, I'll let you know how they feel/perform.

<U>stainless steel brake lines</U>
I got my Goodridge lines for like $135, will also be putting them on Friday. I wanted the Comptech lines, but they stopped making them.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-09-2003, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Wish list.. thoughts, advice, recommendations? (Final Flash)

Dual exhausts, well lol.. I just like the look honestly. But I am not talking about 2 3-4 inch pipes sticking out. I have no problem with the stock exhaust size in terms of look. I just appreciate symmetry.
I'll probably just forget about a 'dual' exhaust and get something that breaths a little better but does not add too much noise.

S2k steering wheel is there because I like how it looks AND that it is smaller than the stock prelude wheel. I feel like I am driving a truck sometimes.

Is the only performance improvement of an AEM due to the heat resistant coating they give it? If so, how will some thermal tape or wrap effect the performance of a replica?

I like the GReddy lip, but I hate that is says GReddy on it. hehe I just got the OEM lip today.

Yah I forgot to mention the SS brake lines in my post, I think. I've heard good things about Goodrich, just kind of expensive.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:14 PM

Go turbo.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kotetu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dual exhausts, well lol.. I just like the look honestly. I just appreciate symmetry.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I understand, assymetrical aspects of anything **** with my aesthetic sensibilites too.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">S2k steering wheel is there because I like how it looks AND that it is smaller than the stock prelude wheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I do want the s2k steering wheel, and the seats, and the engine, and the headlights, and oh WTF gimme the whole car.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the only performance improvement of an AEM due to the heat resistant coating they give it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, supposedly the shape/structure of the inside of the tube "pulses" the air through the intake. It's some technical mumbo-jumbo that I won't pretend to understand, but in a head-to-head showdown in a magazine last month it kicked every other intakes' *** (EXCEPT for Injen's).
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yah I forgot to mention the SS brake lines in my post, I think. I've heard good things about Goodrich, just kind of expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>
GoodRIDGE manufactures brake lines, GoodRICH makes tires. (he he, j/k dude )
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>
EXCELLENT idea Shark, I forgot that one. You can even go ghetto-turbo reasonably-priced and go really fast like a friend of mine did on his CRX; just don't ever open your hood, it's kinda embarrassing...
Old 06-10-2003, 12:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Final Flash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do want the s2k steering wheel, and the seats, and the engine, and the headlights, and oh WTF gimme the whole car. </TD></TR></TABLE>
$400 is more affordable than $25k hehe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No, supposedly the shape/structure of the inside of the tube "pulses" the air through the intake. It's some technical mumbo-jumbo that I won't pretend to understand, but in a head-to-head showdown in a magazine last month it kicked every other intakes' *** (EXCEPT for Injen's).
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Can someone take a high quality digital pic of the inside of the tube? I'm really curious now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
GoodRIDGE manufactures brake lines, GoodRICH makes tires. (he he, j/k dude )
EXCELLENT idea Shark, I forgot that one. You can even go ghetto-turbo reasonably-priced and go really fast like a friend of mine did on his CRX; just don't ever open your hood, it's kinda embarrassing... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoops on the brakelines brand. Regarding the turbo, I am not terribly interested in forced induction. The mods I listed, maybe cams...That's all I want.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kotetu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$400 is more affordable than $25k </TD></TR></TABLE>
You mean $35k.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can someone take a high quality digital pic of the inside of the tube? I'm really curious now.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't think it's possible to get a pic of the entire inside of the tubing dude, you know that bend is kinda funky.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not terribly interested in forced induction.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I want to go turbo, it just won't happen this year. I had the money in my hands and fucked it up a little bit at a time until it was all gone.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The mods I listed, maybe cams...That's all I want. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hulk want cams too. Thinking either Skunk2 Stage 1 (2?) or Jun.

My wish list right now consists of: Jun 11 lb flywheel (ordering Friday), a 65 shot, a bigger bore TB, that damn Skunk2 IM (whenever, if ever it comes out), maybe the UR pulley set and call it a year.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Final Flash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You mean $35k.

I don't think it's possible to get a pic of the entire inside of the tubing dude, you know that bend is kinda funky.

I want to go turbo, it just won't happen this year. I had the money in my hands and fucked it up a little bit at a time until it was all gone.

Hulk want cams too. Thinking either Skunk2 Stage 1 (2?) or Jun.

My wish list right now consists of: Jun 11 lb flywheel (ordering Friday), a 65 shot, a bigger bore TB, that damn Skunk2 IM (whenever, if ever it comes out), maybe the UR pulley set and call it a year. </TD></TR></TABLE>

$25k for a used one hehe. the tube is pretty wierd. I'm just curious if the 'pulsing' is just AEM blowing smoke up our a--es. I've heard that Skunk2 stage 1 aren't really worth it,(not enough difference) but I'm not sure.

Actually someone is selling a bored out TB right now on H-T. here's the link:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=527056

I forgot about the flywheel. Yeah I should get a lightweight flywheel too. 11lbs is about 50% of the weight of stock right? How much of an effect does it have? I assume it's tremendous. that's a lot of rotating mass to get rid of.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kotetu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just curious if the 'pulsing' is just AEM blowing smoke up our *****.

I've heard that Skunk2 stage 1 aren't really worth it,(not enough difference) but I'm not sure.

Actually someone is selling a bored out TB right now on H-T. here's the link:

I forgot about the flywheel. 11lbs is about 50% of the weight of stock right? How much of an effect does it have? I assume it's tremendous.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't know if that's actually the reason why, but their CAI's dyno pretty high, although INJEN and now DC Sports are catching up to them.

Not sure about the real-world hp difference between using Stage 1 cams & using Stage 2. That's a good question, even though I have seen them priced the same and I'm going to do the valvetrain anyway.

I saw the bored TB last week, but that's my flywheel money and I've gotten burned pretty badly buying used **** before (not from that guy, just in general). I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get it new from inline four.

The stock flywheel weighs:

So yeah, that is big difference. The JUN unit isn't the lightest, but going TOO light isn't good either; I would like some engine braking capability and it doesn't hold it's momentum well so the revs drop as quickly as they rise, so...I've been told that the increase in acceleration is definitely noticeable, and that the revs rise so fast w/the lighter unit that some people use it to offset their turbo lag.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:37 PM

funny that you would take the time to add in the 'rs' to my post.