Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Where'd my oil go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where'd my oil go?

So I haven't driven my prelude in a while. I usually just start it up and let it run at least once a week. Last time I got an oil change was sometime last august with Mobil1 fully synthetic 5w30. I was planning on getting an oil change on Saturday, but my girl came into town friday night and she had an appointment to get the oil changed on her Maxima on Saturday. So I figured i'd put off my change until the following week.

Well, we get ready and decide to go out and hit up happy hour. Since my prelude was all clean in the garage and it was a beautiful evening, I figured i'd drive it (despite the expired inspection). She followed me in her so we could drop it off at the Nissan dealership. As soon as I merge onto a pretty big highway my oil light comes on. I immediately freak out as I have never ever had a problem with oil and had never seen this light on before. I quickly push in the clutch and pull over not knowing what to do. There are cars flyin at 80mph by me.

I turned the car off and turned it back on thinking there is no way my oil is low. I drove the car about 2000 miles since I last got it changed and its synthetic. I shouldnt have to change it 3mo/3k (even though I always change it every 3k mi)

Anyways, when I turned it back on the oil light went off and I drove it cautiously to the nearest exit. I stopped on the side of the road where the gf was waiting for me and checked my oil. There was nothing on the dipstick. I freaked.

I left my lude there and bought 5quarts of Mobil1 at walmart, went back and it took about 4 quarts!

So here is the question.... I know preludes slightly burn oil, it hadn't been 3000 miles, I barely drove it all winter, and I have no oil leaks whatsoever.

Where did my oil go? How did my engine not get FUCKED up? Is my car going to be okay? Should I get the oil completely changed now or should I just get a new filter since it has 4 quarts of brand new mobil1?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where'd my oil go? (nyluder)

why not change your oil yourself?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 AM

Well, seeing as how the car still has the old oil filter on, which is dirty (obviously), the "new" oil you put in is already dirty, I guarantee it. Might as well do it right.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where'd my oil go? (M2B4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M2B4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not change your oil yourself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 reasons

I'm lazy, I don't have the right equipment (a good jack/jack stands, tub for disposal etc), I get it done for free (worked in a honda parts dept for 2 years and they still give me the hook up)
Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Where'd my oil go? (BB6Driver)

You still have to change the oil completely, to get rid of all the garbage that's left at the bottom of your oil pan.

If your car was just sitting there, and the oil "miraculously" disappeared, then you'd see it on the ground under your car...

When you drive your car regularly, you should check the dip stick often, especially if you drive the car hard.

Starting up the car from cold burns oil because of the change in tolerances between all the moving parts and their seals when the engine goes from hot to cold to hot again.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where'd my oil go? (maks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You still have to change the oil completely, to get rid of all the garbage that's left at the bottom of your oil pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, that is what I figured.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your car was just sitting there, and the oil "miraculously" disappeared, then you'd see it on the ground under your car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

There was no oil under my car, its sits in my garage. I have no leaks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you drive your car regularly, you should check the dip stick often, especially if you drive the car hard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont drive my car regularly. It sat for most of the winter. I rarely drive it hard and wouldnt drive it hard until a fresh oil change.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Starting up the car from cold burns oil because of the change in tolerances between all the moving parts and their seals when the engine goes from hot to cold to hot again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This may be the cause of my problem, but 4 quarts short? How did 4 quarts burn off from cold starts?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where'd my oil go? (BB6Driver)

h22s and the dam oil. its weird i would frequently check oil level on my car, and i hadnt in like 3 months, my motor burned a quart. all the h22ers out there have to be careful with stuff like this.