Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

What would cause my engine to do this----

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would cause my engine to do this----

When cold (under 130-140 degrees or so) if I'm driving and I push the clutch in, the rpms will drop so low that the car sometimes stalls out. It also idles low when cold, but I had figured that was from the lack of a FITV.

I have a couple things on my list to check out (TPS voltage, ignition timing), but any suggestions or insights on this would help.

And yes, I do know I could hit the NawZZ to make those rpms jump up, but I can't fill my bottle every other day.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What would cause my engine to do this---- (Hawkze_2.3)

sounds like you need the big bottle... two of them..

so you can nos that idle.. haha

although, im interested in an answer, i have the same problem
Old 02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would cause my engine to do this---- (TylerC161)

me three
i think it is the elimation of the thermal valve under the throttle body.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 AM

what about a coolant temp sensor or intake air temp sensor?. I'm not sure of the intake air sensor but I'm positive the coolant temp sensor should ohm out between 200-400 ohms when the car is at normal operating temp. GL!!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hawk, how low does she normally idle?

I also have no FITV, though I haven't had this problem...for the cam's sake and idle "peace of mind" I have my car idling at high 800s to 900s......
Old 02-09-2007, 06:38 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (mgags7)

u running an iacv?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would cause my engine to do this---- (4WSi_guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4WSi_guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about a coolant temp sensor or intake air temp sensor?. I'm not sure of the intake air sensor but I'm positive the coolant temp sensor should ohm out between 200-400 ohms when the car is at normal operating temp. GL!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both coolant sensors should be fine...the fan works and everything, but I have not tested them. Something to think about.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hawk, how low does she normally idle?
I also have no FITV, though I haven't had this problem...for the cam's sake and idle "peace of mind" I have my car idling at high 800s to 900s......

</TD></TR></TABLE>

At a cold start-up, she'll idle at about 550, then as it warms up the idle will end up at about 950.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u running an iacv?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, a brand new shiny one. Honestly I didn't know you could go without one.

The other night I was driving home from work next to a nice CTS and I had to push the clutch in to coast through a turn and I had to rev the engine to keep it from stalling out. That guy probably called the ricecops on another Honda ricer-flyby.

I know I haven't looked at my ignition timing since I've had the car, so I'll try to get a timing light soon and check that, and I also haven't messed with my Edelbrock TB since I got it. It was supposed to be plug and play (it's been good so far) but the ol Ford TPS may need slight adjustment.

Has anyone noticed this happenning after installing a lighter flywheel?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No but i am using a rs machine throttle body and it does the same thing.
when i block the hole for the iacv the car stalls right out
the idle is totally controled by the iacv valve so their problely isnt enough air at startup because their is no thermal valve.
tommorrow i am getting tuned so we'll see what my tuner has to say
Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
At a cold start-up, she'll idle at about 550, then as it warms up the idle will end up at about 950. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the flywheel definitely could add to it, though there are many of us w/them that don't have this problem.

Thats weird that your car doesn't idle high when cold, with my STR tb and no fitv or anything, my p72 keeps the idle at about 1500 when cold.....hmmm
Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

does it miss at all at idle? a friends car is doing the same thing, but he is to lazy to fiure it out. you can try manually adjusting you idle by playing with the idle screw, look at the helms.

I also have no FITV and have no idle problems..
Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car misses like **** when warming up, it will sit there and bump around a bunch when cold....you can feel it in the car

I need to go check my ign. timing.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would cause my engine to do this---- (alterdcreations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alterdcreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No but i am using a rs machine throttle body and it does the same thing.
when i block the hole for the iacv the car stalls right out
the idle is totally controled by the iacv valve so their problely isnt enough air at startup because their is no thermal valve.
tommorrow i am getting tuned so we'll see what my tuner has to say</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I have Edelbrock...it could be as simple as the parts of the TB are colder and just have tighter clearances when cold than when it's warmed up. Maybe I'll put a stock TB on and see if anything changes...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgags7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the flywheel definitely could add to it, though there are many of us w/them that don't have this problem.

Thats weird that your car doesn't idle high when cold, with my STR tb and no fitv or anything, my p72 keeps the idle at about 1500 when cold.....hmmm
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably a combination of things including the flywheel. So your ECU will keep the idle up without a FITV?...weird. That could mean it's something with the TPS...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it miss at all at idle? a friends car is doing the same thing, but he is to lazy to fiure it out. you can try manually adjusting you idle by playing with the idle screw, look at the helms.
I also have no FITV and have no idle problems..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't miss at all really...just some vibration from the low idle as far (as I can tell). I have adjusted the idle a bunch of times (Edelbrock TB) and I have pretty much found a good balance between not too high when warm and not too low when cold, but it's just a band-aid really.

That's good news that others have no FITV without problems.

Thank for all the help so far