Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Runs Rough No Code

Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs Rough No Code

I have a h23a vtec motor from SiR Wagon. Recently I had some isses with throttle position sensor. I have replaced sensor and everything checks out good with that .48 at idle. My throttlebody was sticking and got really annoying so i swapped my throttle body. Originaly after throttle body swap it was running ok, but when vtec engaged a code would flash and vtec would get thrown out.

I swapped my chips to one from speedfactory.net and it began idling rough. I thought it may have been because of throttle body, so i swapped back to original one. No Change, still idling rough. I know the chip is good, because yesterday my dad pulling the vacumm to EGR or something and it ran pretty well, now today its running rough again.

I thought maybe EGR, so I pulled it and cleaned the hell out of it with carb cleaner. Remounted, nothign but same stalling. I am stumped! Someone got some ideas?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hows it rev when you hit the gas? can you even get it going?

Hows fuel pressure and spark?

I'd suggest a tune up perhaps if it hasn't been done in a Long time.

So you know for a fact its nothing to do with the ecu or chip? I'd still suggest tossing the old chip back in and see if theres any difference. If there is any difference relay it back here.

If you could guess is it like missfires? Any wierd noises while is running rough? or is it just sputtering like a bastard? If possible give us an audio recording and we can play Honda techs favorite game "Name that sound"!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not even driveable. I had it runable the 2 days ago, but had a slight rough idle still but nothing major, now it stalls out and hard to get it to hold above 1000 rpms. I haven't even tried to drive with it I don't feel safe the way its acting. I about to check spark, but fuel pressure shouldn't be a problem... Ill check tho it seems more of bad vaccumm leak or something because Speedfactory tested my ecu and chip and said everything was good.

I checked timing and its right about 16 deg. What else could it be?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, the plugs all fired but were black and wet with gas. I pulled the egr and cleaned it but I feel its clogged up or stuck open or something. after replacing the plugs it was idling rough still little smoother but the idle fluctuated from 600 to 2500 stalling out at low rpms. My friend suggested EGR just as I had, so we upplugged it. This made the car idle down some were it fluctuated from 800 to 1400 yet still a rough run. I am going to block it off tomorrow and see what happens. I have put some STP fuel system cleaner in also to clear it out hopefully it works.

Anyone got other ideas? What else is needed to know?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel-fouled plugs are usually caused by a vacuum leak.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm... i have thought it had vaccum leak, but i can't find one.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It REALLY sounds like the wrong chip, (ie, the chip fuel settings are grossly rich) or they got that way because the O2 sensor is reading wrong.

Put your old chip back in and leave the battery disconnected for 60 seconds. If car runs normally (or near so), then there is some sort of issue with the chip. Since the program in the new chip runs at all, it is at least for the right family, but it may have some inputs transposed from your application.

Since it ran rough (somewhat rich) but then started getting worse and now barely runs - this is almost assuredly the Oxygen sensor being read by the ECU as being too lean. Either the sensor is bad (or unplugged - but you should get a code), or the ECU is looking at the wrong wires (most likely). It is seeing something or you would get error codes, but it is not the right thing.... so, the ECU keeps enriching the mixture trying to get the voltage up on what it thinks is the O2 sensor.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it driveable so i headed to honda to get a check out. They drove it and said either the tune is off, or once i told him about my past problem.... fuel pressure regulator... so i going to switch chips tommorrow and look for a spare fuel pressur regulator