Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Radiator fan turns on when engine turns off, doesn't seem to turn on when the engine is running.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan turns on when engine turns off, doesn't seem to turn on when the engine is running.

I've searched numerous topics on radiator fans and I've checked what have been said to check.
Here's the problem, the radiator fan seems to come on as soon as i take the key out of the ignition regardless if I started the motor or not. I turn the key to ACC then take it out, and the rad fan kicks in. It keeps going for more then 10mins.
I also checked to see if my AC condenser fan would turn on as I turn on the AC but that does not turn on either.

I have checked the following:

-Radiator fan relay - checked out ok using the continuity test from helms manual

-Condensor fan relay - checked via same method

-All fuses relating to the rad fan, rad fan module, condensor fan- according to helms- none were blown

-AC fan motor- checked fine when I did a jumper

-RAD fan motor- same method

Things I haven't checked:
-Both ECT switches
-Radiator fan control module

Would the ECT or faulty fan control module cause this? How can I check if the fan control module is faulty? Can someone shine some light on this? I have not driven the car yet so I do not know if the rad fan will kick in once it gets really hot. I've idled the car for about 10min but the rad fan never kicked in, although the temp gauge never went past the middle point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Johnny
Old 05-07-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Radiator fan turns on when engine turns off, doesn't seem to turn on when the engine is running.

Mine started overheating really badly shortly after it started doing that. I had to flush and refill the coolant and then it worked fine.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan turns on when engine turns off, doesn't seem to turn on when the engine is running.

What was the cause of the problem? I don't believe the fan is turning on when the engine is on either, I drove it today for about 7 miles and I don't think the fan turned on at all. I did not overheat however, but that was according to my temp guage, now I'm worried that may be wrong. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Accord, I had a similar problem, the cooling fans would not come on while the car runs, even if overheating, unless the AC is on, but do turn on after I move the key to the OFF position. Even after replacing the temp sensor controlling the fans, the problem wasn't solved. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Dan
Old 05-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So till this day do you still have this problem?
My rad fan would stay on for 10+mins after the car is turned off, I just killed it by pulling the fuse, but I can't keep doing that.
I'm also afriad that the car will overheat without me even knowing it, if the water temp gauge is wrong. The motor seemed to be running pretty hot
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine did that..u dotn need to pull the fuse..turn the car back on and turn it off and the fan will go off.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once I turn the key to ACC the fan does turn off, but when I turn it to the OFF position, the rad fan kicks right back on and stays on for 20 mins +. I havent sat there and actaully seen how long it takes to turn it off, but I know theres a problem when it doesnt shut off within 10 mins.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found out there is 2 ECT switches and 1 ECT sensor. Which one controls when the rad fan comes on? ECT switch A/B or the ECT sensor?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:24 PM

What year is your lude?

On the 5th gen, there are 2 sensors (one for ECU, one for dash gauge), and one switch. The switch controls the fan, it is on the thermostat housing.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4th gen lude,
There are 2 ECT switches, one on the t-stat housing (ECT switch A) and one on the water outlet housing in front of the cylinder head (ECT switch B). The ECT sensor is on the cylinder head underneath the vtec solenoid, next to the ECT guage sender (the ear phone look-a-like type plug). I don't know which one controls the fan, A or B?
SO the ECT sensor is for the ecu and the ECT guage sender is for the dash correct?
Does anyone know the voltage for the ECT guage sender when the normal operationg temp is reached? I want know if my water temp dash guage is correct to see if I'm overheating.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 PM

The switch on the thermostat housing is the fan switch.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, I'll try to swap that out and see if that cures the problem.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-07-2005, 06:56 PM

one of my radiator fans is scraping of the side kinda ust making a weird noise, what is that about? mabey bad motor mounts?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know the voltage for the ECT guage sender when the normal operationg temp is reached? I want know if my water temp dash guage is correct to see if I'm overheating.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bb_one)

Does anyone know the voltage on the ECT sender unit when the temps are at operating temps?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make a switch if worst comes to worst.My fan wouldnt turn on for some reason and that is a bad thing with a turbo in your bay.Its only two wires run a switch through firewall to acc or to a fuse.Even a caveman can do it!