Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Prelude Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon3 Prelude Project

Starting to make plans for getting a Prelude (year and trim not decided). Goals for this build are replacing factory parts with performance, better brakes, better suspension, and aero body work (no widebody) and maybe some tuning.

Opinions for where to start, what to look out for, or other things I should know?
I am also considering a CRX, em2 civic, but focusing on the prelude because I want more of a respectable build, instead of a sore thumb possible with the civic or crx.

any and all suggestions welcome
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Prelude Project

you should know that you cannot get much performance out of prelude
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know performance is not the way to go with a lude That's why I considered the Prelude. I feel like I'm more likely to make the car functional and then make it pleasing to the eye.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TSX/Accord with K24 engine would be better project IMO
Old 10-13-2020, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I like:
-'97-'01 Preludes
-'92-'95 Civic Coupes or 3-Door Hatches
-'88-'91 CRX's
-'92-'00 Integras
-'02-'06 RSXs
-'94-'97 Accord Sedans or Coupes
-'77-'81 Accords
-'92-'98 del Sols

I don't see Preludes as cars not to be built up performance wise, theyre just a different size/style unibody coupe like any other Honda really. Their motors are some of the best ever made and there is a huge aftermarket for them.
I own an '01 Prelude base in electron blue pearl with a m2y4 5spd and h22a4 2.2l 4cyl VTEC, I love the thing. It's got TEIN Street Flex Z coilovers, an aem intake, enkie gp5 17" X 8" rims with 215/45R-17 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires and an Invidia stainless cat-back.
It looks great and handles great.

Depending on how much $ your looking to spend on the build I'd probly do the following:

-Full Tune Up:
  • Plugs
  • Plug Wires
  • Distributor Cap & Rotor
  • Fuel Filter
  • Timing Belt, Tensioners & Pulleys
  • Water Pump
  • Front Main Seal
  • Rear Main Seal
  • Camshaft Seals
  • Balance Shaft Seals
  • Valve Cover Gasket Set
  • Adjust Valves
  • Valve Stem Seals
  • Headgasket
  • Camshaft Plug Seals
  • Distributor Seal
  • Potentially Piston Rings & Bearings (Not unless necessary)
Aftermarket & Upgrades:

-Air Intake
-Cat-Back
-Acura RL OEM Brembo or Aftermarket Wilwood Front Calipers (Custom Mounted)
-Cams
-Coilovers
-Camber Kits
-Maybe a rear spoiler from another Honda or Acura Model
-Aftermarket Front Lip (Preferably ABS or some type of plastic over fiberglass, Possibly Some Aftermarket Metal Supports/Struts if you like that look)
-Aftermarket Side Skirts (Preferably ABS or some type of plastic over fiberglass)
-Custom or Aftermarket Rear Diffuser (Could make yourself with either fiberglass or carbon fiber, maybe some aluminum)
-Custom front spats
-HONDATA S300 ECU tuning module
-Some nice wheels they don't have to be multi-piece or forged but something attractive and functional (BBS, ENKIE, Konig, Volk, OZ)
-Some performance tires something in the $100-$150 range

Last edited by Accordian47; 10-21-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ building prelude performance wise is pretty much waste of money (specially compared to K-serie engines)

also H22's have those damn frm sleeves which only gives you trouble
Old 10-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Accordian47
I don't see Preludes as cars not to be built up performance wise, theyre just a different size/style unibody coupe like any other Honda really. Their motors are some of the best ever made and there is a huge aftermarket for them.
I own an '01 Prelude base in electron blue pearl with a m2y4 5spd and h22a4 2.2l 4cyl VTEC, I love the thing. It's got TEIN Street Flex Z coilovers, an aem intake, enkie gp5 17" X 8" rims with 215/45R-17 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires and an Invidia stainless cat-back.
It looks great and handles great.
Thank you for the list, I've copied it down for future reference.
I read that Urethane front lips and side skirts may be better than ABS. Do you know anything about that?
Old 10-21-2020, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda-Snapback
Thank you for the list, I've copied it down for future reference.
I read that Urethane front lips and side skirts may be better than ABS. Do you know anything about that?
Urethane and ABS plastic body/aero parts are both going to be pretty much the same aside from maybe price.
They are both highly engineered plastics that have very similar properties. Your going to get a part that is resistant to cracking, resistant to chemicals, resistant to heat & fairly malleable (which is what you really want) and reasonably lightweight.
Urethane is more flexible than ABS but the two are very similar to the point you wouldn't really care. It comes down to preference and the cost or specifics of which part you've found.
It's fiberglass or even frp (fiberglass reinforced plastic) that you want to look out for, these parts tend to crack very easily, can be hard to get a good finish on and are usually not a good fitting part due to the limitations and skill involved in making them.

*I've updated the list of favorites in my first post:
I like:
-'97-'01 Preludes
-'92-'95 Civic Coupes or 3-Door Hatches
-'88-'91 CRX's
-'92-'00 Integras
-'02-'06 RSXs
-'94-'97 Accord Sedans or Coupes
-'77-'81 Accords
-'92-'98 del Sols
Old 10-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TimiK
^ building prelude performance wise is pretty much waste of money (specially compared to K-serie engines)

also H22's have those damn frm sleeves which only gives you trouble
Some of the newer K engines are impressive, mainly the turbocharged K20C's but for the most part the K series are a poor attempt at a complete engine design change. Honda "tried" at a somewhat "ok" time to make a new engine and they, in my personal opinion, failed. They are typically drive-by-wire and suffer from terrible throttle lag, they use timing chains that tend to slip or jump due to stretching of the chain or a failed tensioner, they just lack in alot of ways what most of the classic Honda motors have been about. I have owned 2, the K20A3 in my brother's '04 Civic Si & the K24A4 in my '03 Accord EX Sedan. Both of the engines in these two cars had timing chain failures and bent valves. The i-VTEC system is a joke, it's not real VTEC. The cam-phasing portion of the system has no idea what its doing half the time. The K engine is more like an emissions bitch or a mainstream maker of an engine. K engines don't have the roaring, deep throaty sound and deep rooted powerband that the H and B series engines due. To me it's like a "tried and true" aluminum H22 vs. "modern" plastic in a K series. Theres something missing in a K series. Yeah the H22A4 has frm cylinder liners, that sucks, you gotta sleeve it to run forged pistons but ya get what ya pay for. I personally would take an H22A4 over any K series any day, even a brand new, turbocharged, Civic Type-R, K20C1.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of the newer K engines are impressive, mainly the turbocharged K20C's but for the most part the K series are a poor attempt at a complete engine design change. Honda "tried" at a somewhat "ok" time to make a new engine and they, in my personal opinion, failed. They are typically drive-by-wire and suffer from terrible throttle lag, they use timing chains that tend to slip or jump due to stretching of the chain or a failed tensioner, they just lack in alot of ways what most of the classic Honda motors have been about. I have owned 2, the K20A3 in my brother's '04 Civic Si & the K24A4 in my '03 Accord EX Sedan. Both of the engines in these two cars had timing chain failures and bent valves. The i-VTEC system is a joke, it's not real VTEC. The cam-phasing portion of the system has no idea what its doing half the time. The K engine is more like an emissions bitch or a mainstream maker of an engine. K engines don't have the roaring, deep throaty sound and deep rooted powerband that the H and B series engines due. To me it's like a "tried and true" aluminum H22 vs. "modern" plastic in a K series. Theres something missing in a K series. Yeah the H22A4 has frm cylinder liners, that sucks, you gotta sleeve it to run forged pistons but ya get what ya pay for. I personally would take an H22A4 over any K series any day, even a brand new, turbocharged, Civic Type-R, K20C1.
Plus the H series makes 200+ hp stock, just like a K series
Old 10-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you bumb $$$$ to NA H serie you end up having 230-240 hp engine while same amount of money will give you 300 hp with K NA

Plus the H series makes 200+ hp stock, just like a K series
SOME H's make 200hp BUT K serie reacts WAY differently to building
Old 10-22-2020, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-22-2020, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Starting to make plans for getting a Prelude (year and trim not decided). Goals for this build are replacing factory parts with performance, better brakes, better suspension, and aero body work (no widebody) and maybe some tuning.

Opinions for where to start, what to look out for, or other things I should know?
I am also considering a CRX, em2 civic, but focusing on the prelude because I want more of a respectable build, instead of a sore thumb possible with the civic or crx.

any and all suggestions welcome
***disclaimer I don't know *******
If you want to go aero I would recommend the 4th gen prelude just because of the fastback and rounded body. I would stay away from the older years of the 4th gen and see if you could get a 96 just because they're OBD2 and it's one less thing to deal with when swapping out certain parts. 5th gens are heavy and they tend to have some electrical problems with the automatic transmissions. 3rd gens are harder to find not completely rusted, and if you do find one you're very limited when it comes to aftermarket parts that you'd probably end up swapping the engine.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Prelude Project

Yes please
Old 10-23-2020, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ this should be there instead of CD