Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Passenger's side axle installation woes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger's side axle installation woes...

Replacing my passenger's side axle. Got everything out. Ended up having to take a die grinder to the axle nut to get it off. Long story.

Anyway, I'm having problems getting the axle back into the transmission. It doesn't seem to want to go in all the way. It slides in a bit, barely to the point of catching its shaft on the drive thinger (not sure what the technical name is) of the diff. But it won't go in all the way. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it in easily?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passenger's side axle installation woes... (The Phil)

make sure the snap ring came out with the old one. and a suggestion is to put the one end in the spindle and slam it real hard into the tranny. but make sure nothing is blocking the axle from sliding in like debris or something
Old 08-25-2005, 10:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Passenger's side axle installation woes... (kulrevon)

Old snap ring is out. Nothing seems to be in the way. Should I pop the hub off and just ram it in there as hard as possible?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it helps when you have someone underneat the car holding the two boots together, since when you push they obsorb most of the energy... also a rubber mallet, and just banging it in... just be carefull not to damagea any splines

usualy you push it it... it clicks a bit then you push harder or just hammer it in.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Ideal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ideal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it helps when you have someone underneat the car holding the two boots together, since when you push they obsorb most of the energy... also a rubber mallet, and just banging it in... just be carefull not to damagea any splines

usualy you push it it... it clicks a bit then you push harder or just hammer it in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How would you go about holding the two boots together?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:38 AM

i had someone hold the hub assem outa the way, i screwed the nut back on a little, took a small piece of 2x4 and taped it on the end of the nut, held it straight, and smacked it with a hammer, if your good u can use a pry bar and force it in if u push right on the cup were the shaft that goes in is, just dont mess up the boot-
Old 08-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (The Phil)

If you are having the same problem I had when i did my swap, I think I know how to get it in. We had two people. We got to small pieces of 2x4's, put one on each side of the axle joint, and we both hit our ends at the same time. It went in.

If you need help, let me know. I live in Columbia, MD.

(The reason why we used the wood pieces was so that we didn't damage the axle.)
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i was underneath, i had one hand on the first boot and applying pressure towards the tranny, and my other hand on the other boot applying pressure towards the tranny.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (AndyD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are having the same problem I had when i did my swap, I think I know how to get it in. We had two people. We got to small pieces of 2x4's, put one on each side of the axle joint, and we both hit our ends at the same time. It went in.

If you need help, let me know. I live in Columbia, MD.

(The reason why we used the wood pieces was so that we didn't damage the axle.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you provide more details about where the wood blocks went? I'm probably just not awake, but I'm having trouble visualizing this.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled my axles from the tranny twice now and I always just attach the axle to the knuckle and swing the knuckle back and use it as a hammer to push the axle in all the way. Of course don't use a ton of force, but it's pretty heavy and it's always worked for me.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've pulled my axles from the tranny twice now and I always just attach the axle to the knuckle and swing the knuckle back and use it as a hammer to push the axle in all the way. Of course don't use a ton of force, but it's pretty heavy and it's always worked for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tried that already

The axle is catching like...right as it begins to enter the splined area. If i push the inboard joint pretty hard, I can get it to catch on the splines and turn the diff. But as soon as I let go, it pops back out.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Phil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tried that already

The axle is catching like...right as it begins to enter the splined area. If i push the inboard joint pretty hard, I can get it to catch on the splines and turn the diff. But as soon as I let go, it pops back out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure the snap ring is still on there.

The way he said should work for you, I've done several axles with that technique.

Did you compare the axles to make sure they are the same?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (SKDRCR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SKDRCR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure the snap ring is still on there.

The way he said should work for you, I've done several axles with that technique.

Did you compare the axles to make sure they are the same?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh god. They better be the same. Last time I did this, I was trying to stick some wierdass axle in. I spent two hours trying to get it in there before realizing this.

I'll check that before I start today.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Phil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you provide more details about where the wood blocks went? I'm probably just not awake, but I'm having trouble visualizing this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's the section of the axle that is being inserted into the tranny. The boot that is facing you as you are pushing it in.

We put cloth on the ends of the wood, lined them up on the boot when the boot covers the big metal section of the axle. Then the lightly hit it at the same time. It slipped in pretty easily.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Phil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Tried that already

The axle is catching like...right as it begins to enter the splined area. If i push the inboard joint pretty hard, I can get it to catch on the splines and turn the diff. But as soon as I let go, it pops back out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There has to be something wrong, then. Inspect the end of the axle, the diferential, make sure you have the right parts, etc.... It should never be that hard to put in if everything is set up right.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There has to be something wrong, then. Inspect the end of the axle, the diferential, make sure you have the right parts, etc.... It should never be that hard to put in if everything is set up right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ick. I'll definitely do that before starting today.

Now, I just need a ride over there...
Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ideal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i was underneath, i had one hand on the first boot and applying pressure towards the tranny, and my other hand on the other boot applying pressure towards the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This worked for me. Got everything back together. Took it out only to realize that my brake pads need to be replaced, and I have a nicked brake line. Oh well.

Pictures.