Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

new to form, idle problems, check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to form, idle problems, check engine light?

hey guys,
i used to reside in the EG civic forms, where i thought about my car and how i wished it were a prelude. Well, lucky for me... i got a 95 Si . I have not had it for very long and it has 100k on it; when i start it up i notice that there is a knocking in the engine, sounds like it is between the valve cover and the fuel rail, also i when i'm on the road the check engine light has came on a few times, more-so when i step on the gas, and get it up around 4-5k rev... could this be a 02 sensor or another sensor problem? I'm a college kid on a tight budget, and from what friends say, those kind of repairs done at a shop can become costly very quick. Has anyone had this kind of problem before? and if so is it a nessercary repair? I'm not very familar with the H23... thanks guys, its good to be in this form...
Old 09-14-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: new to form, idle problems, check engine light? (senbei)

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the car. Knocking is usualy not good and sounds like something is amuck. It could be something like detonation due to carbon, timing, valve clearance. I would pull the CEL code and go from there. If you don't know, you can do it yourself with a paper clip placed in the service connector.

Do a search for "CEL codes" or "service connector"..... there might be something in the FAQ's..... I do know I went into detail on a recent thread (within 3 wks). That would be a good place to start.

Hopefully you just need a tune up.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to form, idle problems, check engine light? (kellyk75)

Jump the connector and see what code its throwing. 1 quick blink = 1 1 long blink = 10

The "knocking" you are hearing is probably your valves. Have someone re-adjust your valve clearence, or check to see if its in spec.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Look what I can do!

Default Re: new to form, idle problems, check engine light? (98TypeSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The "knocking" you are hearing is probably your valves. Have someone re-adjust your valve clearence, or check to see if its in spec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would bet my money thats a valve tick too, thats the exact spot i heard mine coming from. I dont know what would make the CEL come one, cuz mine didnt come on when it did that. But get the valves readjusted like 98TypeSH said and see what happens. Welcome to preludes by the way