Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Need some questions answered about 5 lug conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some questions answered about 5 lug conversion

I keep reading conflicting information about this subject.

What I'd like to know is that will the hub unit slide right on to the 4g rear spindles with no trouble? The FAQ here states that you need the spindle where some posts I've seen elsewhere say they go right onto the 4g spindle. Kinda hoping they work on the 4g spindle since the rear knuckles don't seem to be as easy to find for a good price. One other small thing, without a donor car to check, can the 5g axles be used after the conversion is done? Asking because I don't really want to run a washer behind the axle nut and would rather just grab some 5g axles since the only thing that can possibly be different is the length of the shaft since we all know the splines at both ends are the same except the 5g outer joint splined end being shorter hence the need for a washer when using 4g axles in a 5g hub. I just don't want to run into any problems like the CV joints being pulled apart or compressed too much.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Need some questions answered about 5 lug conversion

Rear hub- Does it fit on the 4g spindle? Yes. BUT, the spindle length (or some sort of spacing) is different and the rotor will bind on the caliper bracket when you re-assemble. May be different for some, but that's what happened to me. Swapping over the 5g rear spindle fixed the problem. You could have the caliper bracket machined to fix the spacing, but I'd go for the 5g spindle if you can get one.

Axles- Run the 5g's.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I also recently read somewhere that the 5g hubs and bearings can be pressed into the 4g knuckles, I'm going to measure and try this as I already ordered complete front knuckles in case it doesn't work. I'm wanting to keep the 4g front knuckles due to the ABS sensors being different. Yes, I have ABS and I'm not changing that, I fitted a 5g compact modulator to my 4g. Not fully wired but it's mounted and plumbed.

Just need to find some 5g rear knuckles since finding the spindles alone is probably unlikely.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

According to some specs on 4g/5g bearings from Rock Auto, it would appear so that the 5g front wheel bearings will go into the 4g knuckle (OD and width is the same, ID is 1mm different but that's no concern since you're using the 5g hub). That makes the front super easy if so.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, there are some small other things too that makes keeping the 4g knuckles better like brake hose mounting and the neat little upper ball joint cover lol.

The FAQ's around some of these Honda sites need to be corrected, might have to take pics of me measuring everything with a digital caliper to show that there is a better way to do this. Might be a bit though since my tires aren't totally done yet and I'm just slowly collecting parts at the speed in which I will have everything by the time the tires hit the wear bars and I don't put much miles on this car.