Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Need help installing the bell housing. Just finished installing a new clutch kit.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Need help installing the bell housing. Just finished installing a new clutch kit.

Hello all. I desperately need some tips on reinstalling the bell housing on my 2000 Prelude Type SH. I installed a new clutch kit, flywheel, and a new rear main seal. This last bit is frustrating as I'm in the home stretch. Anybody have any tips on getting the transmission bell housing to line up with the block? I suppose I'm being cautious also, since I don't want to break anything. Is there any secret to getting the input shaft to pop in? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help installing the bell housing. Just finished installing a new clutch kit.

how close are you?
is the input shaft inside the pressure plate?
did you remove any bolts for the other motor mounts?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help installing the bell housing. Just finished installing a new clutch kit.

I got up close to the block, but the shaft doesn't seem to pop in. Would you recommend turning the crankshaft from the other side?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We would turn the flywheel while pushing the trans back in. took a little but eventually it just fell into place.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you aware there are dowel pins that need to be aligned ?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm going to attempt it again. Who knew it would take this long for a new clutch lol. Changing the timing belt was easier in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you remove any bolts for the front and/or rear motor mounts?
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the bell housing installed! Thank you all for the replies. What I did was partially thread the bolt that goes from the top of the starter to the block, then I partially threaded the bolt located at the front bottom of the housing. It's the one that attaches to the rear mount bracket. The idea was to have the tranny aligned to the block as much as possible. Mind you I did have the transmission supported by a transmission jack at the correct angle. Next, I picked up the tranny just enough to wiggle it from side to side and voila! One thing I should mention is that I did have someone turn the crank counterclockwise gradually, which I think helped the input shaft slide in. Hopefully this info helps someone else.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure why you had such issues aligning, once the dowel pins lock in two both halves, it will be aligned perfectly, thats their purpose and function
Old 02-27-2018, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my problem was the rear bracket got in the way of the trans going in
i had to put the front and rear motor mount bolt back on to get the trans in
Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

When I did my clutch, I was wishing for an engine lift; that trans is heavy! I ended up removing the front motor mount and lowering the motor a few inches. Getting the trans over the subframe required a twisting action to get right. I got under the trans and pushed it up until it was sitting on the subframe. I then used rope between the lift points and a 4' ladder across the hood from front to back. Of course I stuck a 4x4 in the front so it wouldn't rest on the radiator. I just lifted it a little by hand, retightened the ropes, lifted it a little and retightened the ropes. After a little while it slid right in! Still better than a clutch job in a C5 Corvette! That requires the entire driveline to be removed!