Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

keeps stalling but idles and drives fine until clutching, braking or turning...HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default keeps stalling but idles and drives fine until clutching, braking or turning...HELP PLEASE!

alright my prelude has recently had a problem with the injector micro filters on the 2nd and 3rd cylinders getting clogged which looks like rust. it happens every couple of months and i take the fuel rail off and clean out the micro filters and put everything back together and it runs GREAT...
well yesterday it started to feel like it was misfiring and what not so i knew the injectors needed to be checked... sure enough 2nd and 3rd cylinder injector micro filters are clogged. i clean them and re install with new o-rings.
i got a new fuel filter to swap out but i cant get one of the lines off and dont want to break the bolt. i got the line off that has the bolt going in through the top that has the hole drilled through the threads to allow the fuel to pass and put it back on when it was getting late. i may have over tightened this bolt but it still looks like all of the hole should be lining up.
i changed my oil, spark plugs and spark plug wires as well.

this is now what it is doing:
-it starts up perfectly fine
-it idles perfect
-for the most part it drives great/smooth
-when i clutch in after driving it the rpms seem to settle properly but then drop really low causing the car to jerk slightly and stall most of the time.
-the car also will drop rpms automatically and not respond to me hitting the gas when i am turning or braking most of the time.
-after stalling the car starts up fine and idles fine and will drive fine until i turn, clutch for a long period of time, or brake to a stop.
-occasionally while in gear it will feel like pressure to the gas pedal isnt doing anything and seems to bog down slightly.

this is my daily and i really need it up and running and i am out of ideas. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance
_zac
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: keeps stalling but idles and drives fine until clutching, braking or turning...HELP PLEASE! (Sli

i just got the new fuel filter installed and it didnt help the problem...
_zac
Old 03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: keeps stalling but idles and drives fine until clutching, braking or turning...HELP PLEASE! (Sli

come on... no help yet?
_zac
Old 03-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is the longest i have had to wait to get a responce on honda-tech....

any input at all?

could it be the fuel pump somehow?
_zac
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem here.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:26 PM

the fuel pump is providing enough fuel cause it normally drives smooth, when the pump is flowing more than at idle. my best guess the fuel pressure regulator...fuel pressure is affected by vacuum, so when you let the rpm drop down to idle, vacuum goes up and fuel pressure goes down. plus i think its gotta be something in the fuel system since there is obviously a lot of rust in there.

unplug the vacuum line from the FPR and cap off the nipple on the IM, and tell us if it runs any different
Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your TPS alright? have you tried a fuel system cleaner?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:17 PM

tps would set a CEL
Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Definetly a good question. i'd like to know the answer too. My 97' lude SH does the same thing on turns although it never actually stalls. It just feels like it's not getting the gas it needs.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: (Dariusdemon)

what octane gas are you running?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheWalrus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheWalrus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tps would set a CEL</TD></TR></TABLE>

not always.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (roller3804)

well i got the fuel filter changed and it did nothing so i figured i would try something basic. i went to the gas station and got a stp fuel system cleaner, dumped it into my near empty tank and filled up with the normal 93 octane. car ran perfect after that...
so im assuming it was bad gas or maybe i have something in my gas tank. i will probably go and have my tank flushed or a new tank installed soon.

only thing now is that it has rough starts. it cranks over quickly but doesnt start the car until the second time i crank it. i was thinking maybe i screwed up the starter or solinoid from cranking it so much when it was stalling on me all night. but it cranks fine and fast.
any ideas?
_zac
Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlimBB4)

I have the same exact freaking problem.....

But I have a 90 integra. I ordered a new fuel pressure gauge to see if it's a fuel pressure problem.