Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input

hey all,

some of you may have read my old post about the type s strut bar question... but nobody seems to be able to answer my question as the strut bar is pretty damn rare.

anyways... i have decided to take the matter into my own hands! let me briefly explain what's going on.

the type s strut bar does NOT use the 3 existing shock bolts to be mounted. the 5th gen prelude comes with 2 ADDITIONAL holes on each side right by the shock mount. these 2 holes are DESIGNATED for the type s strut bar (5th gens are special ) here is the pic below.

now, you can see that these holes are partially blocked by the top part of the shock assembly. so there is no way i can put the bolt through (bolts are oem honda parts that came with the strut bar). if i had the JDM type s suspension, tein or mugen suspension, i would not be having this problem.

here is the pic from the bottom. you can see clearly see the hole from this view.

now, here is my question to you masters. can i GRIND and/or DRILL the THING(i am not sure what that part is called but i have outlined it RED for your viewing ease) so i can put the bolt through? i dont think it really matters... not like it's supporting anything.... nor even if i grind/drill through, i dont think it will weaken the structural integrity.

it is indeed metal... if it was rubber, i would have simply tucked it aside.

So.... what do you think?

yes, i do realize it's too much of work for a stinkin' strut bar but i am not about to spend $1500 for tein flex and edfc..... at least not just yet!

here's a pic of how it should look like afterwards.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Re: JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input (Tekwon-V)

i'm not suspension "expert" but the amount of metal, and the surface it covers seems like next to nothing compared to the overall surface it covers. i can't imagine removing 0.5 grams of metal would affect the suspension that much.

most likely the JDM type S struts simply have a notch there to clear the bolt anyways, so by grinding that metal you'd just be replicating that notch. (i think)
Old 10-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input (kablamo)

could you get shorter grade 8 bolts or something?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:40 AM

Default Re: JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input (rjr162)

Heres what i would do...drop the front suspension so you have good access to it. DONT work on it while it is installed. You need to make a good cut around the bolt area. Once the suspension is dropped, at this point, you can go ahead and notch the metal cup. Make sure you use the correct tools to do the job and it can be done to make it look factory. You will need a good airpowered diegrinder, and possibly an airchisel, its very hard metal. afterwards, once you have mocked it up to ensure fitment, you can go ahead and sand the area youve worked and paint it black....you are done. You wont have any issues if done correctly.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:32 AM

Default Re: JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input (FaS4wS)

thanx for the advice.

here is what i am gonna try to do today. i am gonna drop the front suspension, and put the bolt thru for the strut bar and test and see if the bolts would interfere with installing the front suspension back on. bolts are flat so HOPEFULLY it will clear but, if it does rub against the shock mount(which i presume cuz the gap btw. the holes and the shock mount is VERY close) i will see if i can grind it down with a dremel. i have limited access to tools as i am down at school.

but keep the ideas coming! i guess it is "ok" to grind and modify the "thing". eh?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input (Tekwon-V)

I guess Type-s have different upper mounts.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: JDM Type S Prelude strut bar installation... need suspension guru's input (Keith)

man!!!!! finally done. it requires a lot of work. i am not sure if it was "worth it" hahaha... but then, what is worth doin?

pix

i have auto-x tommorow so maybe i will be able to REALLY use it yea right.

JDM tYte yo!
Old 10-11-2003, 02:45 PM