Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Intermittent "No Start" Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent "No Start" Problem

I'm trying to help my nephew get his 92 Prelude Si started. So far here's what we've experienced:

Engine will occasionally start and run fine. Shut down the engine and it will restart and run well. I can do this several times with the same result. Then, if the car sits overnight, let's say, the engine will crank but will not start. Engine cranks strong, so I know the battery is okay; volt meter verified this too.

Battery has a full charge and gas tank is half full with fresh gasoline.

Removed a spark plug wire and placed it to ground - NO SPARK.

We wait a few hours and test the spark again; still no spark. We then removed the coil wire at the distributor and cranked the engine to test for spark, still none.

Used a digital ohm meter to test the coil resistance - .9 was the reading. We couldn't find a Haynes manual at any of the auto parts stores for his specific year, 92, but when checking for the resistance of a later year coil, reading was listing as being between .6 and .8.

Thinking the coil was bad, bought a new one, but still will only crank but not start. Still no spark at either the plug wire or the coil.

Car sat for two days, then we tried starting it again and the engine fired right up several times in succesion. Car sat overnight and would not start the next morning. DUH!!

We also had the ignition module tested at AutoZone and it checked "Good". Replaced the rotor, distributor cap and plug wires. We pulled the plugs and they look fine.

I've read a few posts about a "main relay" being a possible cause, but without a manual, I can't locate it. Most of my knowledge is with Chevy TPI engines, so I lost under the hood of his Honda.

Can anyone please tell me where to find this "Main Relay", how to test it and any other areas that may be the cause of his problem.

Thank you very much.

Jake
Old 08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intermittent "No Start" Problem (JAKEJR)

OK basically to start off an easy way to see if its the main relay is that you turn the key to the on position (do this when the car isnt starting) the check engine light should turn on then turn off a second later if it doesnt turn on or it doesnt turn off then its probably your main relay. also It sounds dumb but if the light stays on kick the lower dash by your left foot if the light goes off its you main relay.
the relay is located down by the left kick panel up on the wall. they say its somewhat hard to get to. I hope this works. or helps
Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Intermittent "No Start" Problem (kulrevon)

I am having the exact same problem with my brothers 92 si except his will only not start every once in a great while, today being the first day in probably 6 months. His is really hard to diagnose because once it starts it will start for a good long while. The main relay sounds good to me I hope that is what is wrong with his.