Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Hp Bang for Buck

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hp Bang for Buck

I was just wondering I am trying to decide what way to go with upgrading my 5th gen. I don’t really have a lot of money to spend but I don’t want to make incredible power either. I was just asking what are some of the best parts, bang for buck wise. I am thinking of cams or something to that effect but I don’t know if I should upgrade other things with that or will I get good power just by changing those or what just see what people though. Just to let you know what kind of power output I wanted to end up with, just around 250-300 but not I’m just trying to get a little more power before I rebuild in a year or so unless i can find a block to start slowly working on(if everything goes right)
Old 02-25-2007, 07:03 PM
M@

Default Re: Hp Bang for Buck (preludetospeed)

Get some nice tires when you replace the ones on your car.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Hp Bang for Buck (M@)

You dont have to worry about that i will be replacing my tires here in like a month since i have been running on snow tires for the last year.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:18 PM

if you want to go fast cheap get some wide tires for the front possibly a 235 .. something and put some 195's on the back.. thats whata lot of the tuners do.. ie. JUN and SPOON.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM

are you just looking to make a lot of power? are you auto crossing or drag racing? depending on what you are planning on doing i would make different recommendations to get the power where you will need it.

assuming you are looking for all out power, i would say your basic bolt ons like intake, header, and exhaust will make a noticable difference without breaking your wallet. just the cheapest ebay intake you can find and then add a nice k&n filter. a cheap header off ebay will not make a difference in power, but i hear the dc sport header comes with a 2.5" collector now, which would be nice. and then just a 2.5" exhaust system with a decent flowing muffler. if sound is a priority for you then you can search through the net for the different sound clips. if you find a sound clip of greddy or apexi or something like that on a civic or integra, you can still expect it to sound the same on your prelude. my exhaust sounds identical to my friends civic and we have the same exhaust.

if you want to go beyond that stuff, i would get some cams and cam gears, and then have them dyno tuned. you will make power with the cams alone, but you will see a lot more power after you get the cam gears tuned.

and then a step beyond that would be to get the ecu chipped and tuned. i personally feel that this is the absolute best bang for the buck. go to hondata's website and see what ecu you think is right for you on their recommendation table. i'm going withthe p72 since it has all the same functions/controls a a prelude ecu. then you can get tuning progam like crome for free, buy a obd conversion harness if needed, and a chipping and data logging kit. it will be cheaper if you take the ecu and the chipping stuff into a shop and let them install everything, then take it home and install the ecu in the car, then take the car back t the shop and let them dyno tune it. the parts and tuning time will probably cost you jsu tas much as a good set of cams, but you should see more power with ecu tuning.

the most important thing to remember is that when you take a car to get dyno tuned, it was tuned for the condition your car is in. so don't get it dyno tuned and then do something like an exhaust or cams, you will just have to get it re-tuned to see the full potential. get all your bolt ons taken care of and then do the tuning. wow i wrote a lot, hope it helps and isn't just a waste of time.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (BB6racer)

Ok what kind of power output would you think just H/I/E (which i already have, on it when i bought it) and a good set of crowler cams and good cam gears and a good tuned ecu? And what you wrote was helpful thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: (preludetospeed)

Man I'm bad at this I always forget something i am look at doing autox so not big power just something to make it scoot around corners
Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 PM

If you are doing autocross you are very limited to the modifications you do and stay in stock class. And with our cars... with any car... staying in stock class is good unless you have a lot of money. Once you are in street mod you've got a lot of compitition
Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (darkspector2.0)

Yeah i know that is what i have heard but from what i hear the header takes me out of that class but i am just doing it for fun i dont really care to much about winning i just want to run(thats a good thing since I'm new to the sport i am just looking for some more power to put down to the road to have more fun)

Also i was just researching the hondata thing and i was just wondering what i would have to do like would i have to get a new chipped ecu to work with it or can a obd2 (5th gen) be modified to work. I know basiclly what it does it just tricks the ecu to give the car more power right? (simple terms i know) but just trying to figure things out
Old 02-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Biggest bag/buck= upgrade your final drive.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 PM

read the faq, it'll answer most if not all of your crazy newb questions
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: (darkspector2.0)

ok i read it and i guess what its saying is the its a p28 or p72 if i want it and its obd1 only. and to think i had a p28 i could have kept from my old civic and now it went off a clif
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 AM

Anyone got any other sugestions for such power upgrades?