Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How's the AEM EMS for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How's the AEM EMS for tuning?

You can extract plenty of power AND reliability using "freeware". Show me a failed engine strictly because of the tuning software (not the tune itself, we all know you can suck at tuning with any platform).
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 AM

EDIT: Never mind, its been covered above.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mattsnooz
Read the whole topic. I support freeware and only use crome.

I was making a joke about how poor I am lol, and how rich other people are if they use hondata or similar expensive tuning systems
oh,..you never had to reload a map in crome? theres little bugs like that but nothing major that I've found. Burning to a chip is a bit touchy some times too I find using the Burn1
Wasn't directing that at you really, it's just the common myth that because something is free or not overly-priced that it's not worth having.

I've never had to reload a map in crome but then again I've hardly used it. It just does what I need it to do without issues and has a lot of nice plugins. My only issues with burning chips had to do with the Willem chip burner, but once I figured it out it hasn't been a problem since.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I agree with the freeware guys.. People like PrecisionH23a make money off selling EMS systems, so obviously him and his buddies are going to say you need to buy an EMS. This keeps people from learning how to tune their cars, since you need the tuner license most of the time.

My car pulls like a mthrfckr, and I tuned it myself with crome freeware. Even anti-lag 2step works great when I want to shred my street tires
Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pgmfi.org
pretty much started everything.
Weird, they are all about freeware.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything has its place. there is a reason companies like motec and other premier ems systems are still around and why people still use them: they have advanced features for advanced tuners needed on competition vehicles (like individual cylinder trims for example). do you need a full motec system if you're just trying to even out your afr on your street ride with i/h/e? obviously not. does that mean the system is worthless and the people selling it are just trying to make a buck? wrong again. likewise, freeware tuning has its place and can certainly be used to smooth out a tune and gain some hp for those on a budget and looking for a simple solution who don't want the bells and whistles.

as everyone here has already said and knows, it always comes down to how good the tune is, not the hardware it's done on. the more expensive stuff usually gives you ways to get a more refined tune, however. they also tend to be built in a way that is more efficient for a tuner to be able to get better results in less time.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PrecisionH23a
AEM EMS is much more difficult to tune than the s300. Don't waste your time with freeware junk. The majority of reputable established tuners won't touch the freeware garbage.
Just curious how much is your profit margin on a Hondata unit? The local shop here (Trackmasters, that is a major tuner in this region) recommends and tunes on crome.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

heheh, this topic is going to get out of hand soon. When it comes down to battles of EMS theres wars to be faught HEHEH.

Freeware for the poor. motec, aem ems, F.A.S.T for the rich. Hondata just falls inbetween.
fixed
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My tuning shop, (one of the only ones here) is telling me they will only tune with Hondata s300 because of it's reliability, I don't have much to choose from when it comes to tuning since there's not a lot of tuners here where I live. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcj
Yeah, I agree with the freeware guys.. People like PrecisionH23a make money off selling EMS systems, so obviously him and his buddies are going to say you need to buy an EMS. This keeps people from learning how to tune their cars, since you need the tuner license most of the time.

My car pulls like a mthrfckr, and I tuned it myself with crome freeware. Even anti-lag 2step works great when I want to shred my street tires
I make money on selling products that I believe in... not like some shops who sell utter garbage to make a quick buck. If I wanted to tune freeware junk I'd make money off of tuning the systems as well and just charge customers for more dyno time since these freeware systems typically take longer. The Hondata s300, KPRO, or even the AEM EMS do not keep people from 'learning how to tune their cars' since you don't need any sort of license. Do your homework next time before jumping in the ring.

I went to college for mechanical engineering and learned to tune on a MoTeC system on our FSAE set-up so my standards are higher than yours. Sorry. I'm also sorry that 99% of the cars that have freeware are budget-build pieces of junk that I see personally on a weekly basis. Freeware systems don't do what they are supposed to and all well established tuners will confirm that. Do your homework on ignition timing and the freeware systems when you get a chance. When I tune a car I'm getting paid to tune a car... not to troubleshoot through a bunch of bullshit. When you have tuned 300+ cars like I have you'll realize why I choose the higher scale of products that I do. As I stated prior... the more established tuners do not work with freeware systems. I'm glad the freeware works on your simple set-up... but when it comes to customers that drop $15k+ on builds they don't mind spending a few hundred bucks on a nice EMS that does what it's designed to do that also offers support.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well you get what you pay for right? ^^ thumbs up!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 AM

I've used Crome, AEM EMS, and eCtune. Best is eCtune then AEM, and at the bottom is Crome.

Lots of stuff in Crome don't work properly. Support and improvements is practically at a standstill

AEM is good, but difficult to tune. It also burns out stock coils. Best to use it with a CDI box and external coil.

eCtune works really well, has good support, and very consistent. I was surprised how accurate it is.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you would saying is that tuners like 98vtec and xencorn that do lots of tunes with etune are using garbage...i thought those guys are tuners?? i am not trying to egg on more but i mean i get alot of info from these guys so i am just wondering
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Jd well put, and Jorsher did you ever find a good trans? I'm a hondata S300 owner, and by talking with some TOONERS I'm leaning towards eCtune in the future. But right now with so much dyno time already with the S300 it's not feasable for me to not to stick with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm.. depends on whos tuning and what they are familiar working with. If its you tuning, I'd scrap both and go with crome. Its soo easy even a moron can do it (YESSS! even I can do it :D)

Both those systems are good if your going all out either N/A or forced inducting but a touch overkill on a bolt on car in my opinion. Where you headed with this car meanshyguy?

Just don't want you blowing a crap load of money if you don't need such a expensive tuning setup.

chrome, so easy a caveman can do it!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its crome, not chrome! ya caveman!! lol
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

its crome, not chrome! ya caveman!! lol
its chrome
"cui's half-assed rom editor"