Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

How to identify a bad bearing ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to identify a bad bearing ?

What should I check to identify if a bearing in a transmission is bad or not? Should the bearing have some play, drag etc?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How to identify a bad bearing ? (petrv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by petrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What should I check to identify if a bearing in a transmission is bad or not? Should the bearing have some play, drag etc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a really good question.. when i used to rebuild honda dirt bike motors the crank used open ball bearing main bearings for the crank,

when you handle them you can tell wether its worn or not.

first completely clean teh bearing in a solvent to get all the oil and grease out, that way it is easier to identify play,

i guess its a matter of feel it should be tight with very minimal play,

right now i have a 140k on my h22 tranny and i can hear some noise in the tranny, i know some other bearings are a bit worn.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 AM
OTT

you use Plastigauge strips with a plastiguage neasure to measure clearences
Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: (OTT)

This is an ITR tranny, but you Lude-guys are very clever

1) All the upper bearings look like having some play:

2) The lower bearings - one looks tight (no play), but clicks a bit and sometimes, when I rotate it, it slows down and then stops immediatelly - like there is some friction.

3) My clutch bearing (don't know how you call it) has about 1mm play and is very noisy.

4) To summarize my problems: Noise when driving (just cruising) from the trany area. When I'm stopped and tranny in neutral, the noise is present at any RPM (most noticable at 3000). When I push the clutch pedal, the noise stops in about 1-2secs. When I release the clutch pedal, the noise is immediatelly there.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (petrv)

Did you run the tranny out of oil? The only way I would think a bearing would go bad in the transmission is if you ran it low on oil or dry. Obviously it would not last long if you ran it dry, but if you ran it low on oil for a period of time, then you may have starved a bearing or two causing the failure.

As for the clearances, not sure on them, but if the bearing is clicking, then it may indeed be failing. If you have the transmission out, and tore down, just replace the ones that your questioning.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:33 AM
OTT

The noise you describe relative to your clutch is the cltch release bearing/throwout bearing (whateveryouwanna call it).

These tend to wear fast if you downshift and release the clutch without using the heel-toe method (Purpose= to match engine speed to wheel sped in order to minimise strain put in gearbox bearings and rods/rod bearings.

You can purchase these readily available on their own from alot of clutch suppliers.

plastigauge is only used to measure shell bearings (like main crank bearings and conrod bearings) not spherical as far as I'm aware (or at least I don' know the method that would be used to measure spherical bearing with plastigauge if it could/can be done)
Old 08-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

be careful while you got the tranny apart, if one of those bearings come off then you are going to have one fuckload of a mess to try to put back together. lol, i watched my friend rip an LSD out of a shot B series trans, and he pulled that bearing off, and holy **** buckets, there was synchros and all sorts of stuff flying around.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:42 AM
OTT

throwout bearings are pretty cheap btw. Hey this wasnt the main reason fr opening up the box was it???
Old 08-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the same problem you are experience has been reported many times with exeddy organic clutches. Sometimes its the TO bearing, other instances peoples clutch springs have came lose and that means new clutch time. your problem is clutch related, not tranny.

So i take it after you crashed your lude, you bought an ITR eah ?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (98TypeSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the same problem you are experience has been reported many times with exeddy organic clutches. Sometimes its the TO bearing, other instances peoples clutch springs have came lose and that means new clutch time. your problem is clutch related, not tranny.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is #2 the throwout bearing?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98TypeSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So i take it after you crashed your lude, you bought an ITR eah ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yep
Old 08-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

its ok for a bearing to make noise when spining, but like i said before, sometime oil can realy take up the space of wear and you can't really tell how worn they are,

they should really have minimal play
Old 08-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, #2 would be the TO bearing.