Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Grinding, kicks out of gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding, kicks out of gear.

Okay guys, my car has been vibrating when you accelerate it, at first I thought it was the axles, I asked a couple of people and described the problem, they were almost sure it was the axles.

This morning on my way to school, the car started vibrating again, in second, as soon as I went to shift to third (3000RPMs) the car grinded, I quickly dropped it to neutral and came to a stop, pulled out of first again no vibration, hit second vibrations started, third grind, put it in neutral, waited until I dropped to about 20mph went into second and it grinded.

I was scared to put it back into third honestly, so I drove slow and in second, keep in mind its a busy street at about 30mph I didn't drive the car in second in high RPMS, but when I started releasing the accelerator (not all the way out) the car started thumping, if I accelerated it went away, but if I started slowing down, it thumped, thumped and grinded which I'm guessing that its kicking itself out of gear.

It seemed like it wanted to do the same in first gear, when I pulled into the school parking lot, it thumped but I didn't let it grind. Any information would be greatly appriciated.

Can low transmission fluid cause this? Do I need a new clutch? Is the tranny going out?

The car was bought about a month ago it's a 1995 Honda Prelude Si, the last owner said the clutch had been recently replaced. The car drove fine up until this..

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
preludefien

Default Re: Grinding, kicks out of gear. ('95 BA8)

tranny sounds like its on its last leg
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding, kicks out of gear. (preludefien)

check ur master cylinder... if ur clutch isnt fully engaging u'll grind o.O
Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i first got my lude, i forgot? to fully tighten the tranny drain plug. it took about 2 weeks, but eventually all the fluid found its way out.

car would kick out of gear, no grinding though. over the two week period i swore i heard like a constant metallic rubbing noise, but so damn quiet that i thought it might've been brakes for some reason.

left work one day, and the metallic rubbing got so damn loud that i knew it was going, i was in 2nd doing maybe 15, and it felt like i hit a wall, whatever happened in the tranny almost got my car to a dead stop, then it coasted again.

i thought it was my clutch. but once i got the tranny off, the gears literally grinded their way into the bell housing. i pulled the tranny away from the block, and a round chunk of the housing, and a bunch of other metal, came out.

your tranny is definitely going. adding trans fluid almost certainly won't do anything.

swap it asap
Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Grinding, kicks out of gear. (xxmastermindxx)

my tranny fluid leaked out, took about a week, and BOOM, hellooooooo new tranny. Check the fluid, but by the sounds of it, it just might be too late. I'd put it in a shop, or if you know what you're doing, spend a saturday with a helms and take it apart and see what's making the noise.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grinding, kicks out of gear. (jaywoodz)

Since i posted this it stopped doing now, now today in the morning it started again. But it wouldn't kick me out of gear though, this is starting to **** me off because I have no idea how much a tranny will run me for.

Since then various mechanics have drove the car, and they tell me the car drives perfect one even said the car drives like if it was two years old.
Every time I want to take it to a shop, it NEVER acts up.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ’95 BA8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every time I want to take it to a shop, it NEVER acts up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's how it is

you have to replace your tranny. if it was grinding and kicking you out of gear, it's failing, even if it's only intermittently right now.

i bought an M2F4 tranny, that came off of a 49k H23 motor at a local salvage yard, for $200. and if you are mechanically inclined, you can take a day and change it yourself
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
ECX
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it's on it's last leg. Something just to check could be your slave and master cylinders, I did both on my car. The master cylinder sucks *** to try and get it off/on because of the location of one of the bolts.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 PM

dagle, what exactly do i check on my master cylinder, my bb6 grinds sometimes when i shift at high rpms and sometimes its a pain to get it in first when stopped.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pussy_magnet_00)

check under your driver side floormat, feel around for wet spots. if you find wet spots, master is leaking. check your fluid level. bleed your clutch lines.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
ECX
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's not fluid on the driverside floorboard, and it's still a hydraulic problem it's your slave cylinder, just a heads up. If your master is as bad as mine was you'd definately know it.
New, followed by old master cylinder:

If it IS your master cylinder, it will look something like this (inside the car, the long pushrod part)

It's a pain in the ***. (the "bad" nut is actually looking up towards the dash from the clutch pedal.)
Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ECX)

Thanks a lot guys