Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

got the springs.. install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 10:28 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got the springs.. install?

hey guys thanks for your guys's help in the post about "how do i know if springs are used or not".. well i picked them up today and there brand new.. so now i just have to install them.. im gonna take it to a shop, but which shop should i take it to? some cheap asian place or some high tech expensive place? iim worrying about fixing the alignment because my friend said to wait for springs to settle before aligning but that would mean i woul dhave to come twice and probably end up paying twice as much. so im just wondering, how much should i pay for install/alignment, and do i give them any special instructions? i heard from somewhere that to prevent squeeking noises i haev to put some rubber coating on the springs? something like that. but also, my friend said that if i install springs before i get my aftermarket shocks it will harm my suspension, is this true? sorry for so many quesitons but thanks alot
Old 05-15-2001, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: got the springs.. install? (luder714)

Well-we won't say you will hurt the suspension. BUT-it is strongly advised that you wait and get the new shocks. That way you won't have any problems with shock failure.
Old 05-15-2001, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: got the springs.. install? (jc836)

everyone is being overly cautious...

I wouldn't take it to a regular shop, I would find an import performance place to do it. It might not be the cheapest, but it probably isn't the most expensive either. Where do you live? Maybe someone here is in the area and can help you find a place.

You don't have to replace the struts, but like he said above, its nice to do it all at once in case you need some new ones in the future. ANd I would wait until they stettle for a month before having it aligned, it will save you from having to do it twice. (Get a camber kit now if you're that concerned, and go ahead and have it installed with the springs.)
Old 05-16-2001, 09:16 PM
New User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: got the springs.. install? (luder714)

Just from experience. I had my springs installed at a shop called "Premier" in La Habra. It's off of Harbor Blvd. and I think Lambert. Not positive though cause it's been a while since I've gone there. Anyways, they charged me like 50 bucks and i watched them do the install.

As for stock shocks? Hm...I still have mine and it's been 3 years. My car is dropped 1.5 all around and it rides very close to stock. People are shocked that I'm still running stock shocks. Of course I'm going to get aftermarket shocks soon anyways.

--Sam