Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Can the front steering angle sensor be calibrated at 12 oclock? (4WS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the front steering angle sensor be calibrated at 12 oclock? (4WS)

The service manual says that the front steering angle sensor has a paint mark that should be facing down, or in other words at the 6 oclock position. I took my steering wheel off and the paint mark is at the 10 oclock position when all 4 wheels are aligned straight ahead and the steering wheel centered (vehicle off, mechanically aligned). When the car is turned on and the 4WS is on, my car thinks that the rear wheels should make a slight left turn. This indicates to me that perhaps it is seeing 12 oclock as the neutral position. Is it possible that this vehicle was electronically aligned in the 12 oclock position at one time with all the other sensors being calibrated to that 12 oclock position? Or would this do something funky to the front angle sensor if it was aligned at 12 oclock?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can the front steering angle sensor be calibrated at 12 oclock? (4WS)

Originally Posted by fscot
The service manual says that the front steering angle sensor has a paint mark that should be facing down, or in other words at the 6 oclock position. I took my steering wheel off and the paint mark is at the 10 oclock position when all 4 wheels are aligned straight ahead and the steering wheel centered (vehicle off, mechanically aligned). When the car is turned on and the 4WS is on, my car thinks that the rear wheels should make a slight left turn. This indicates to me that perhaps it is seeing 12 oclock as the neutral position. Is it possible that this vehicle was electronically aligned in the 12 oclock position at one time with all the other sensors being calibrated to that 12 oclock position? Or would this do something funky to the front angle sensor if it was aligned at 12 oclock?
Good question.