Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

93 prelude leaking water

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 prelude leaking water

My 93 honda prelude i took my engine out so i can get all the seals done i just got it all back in the car and started it and everything but i noticed water on the ground just dripping away when i put water in the raittator it just starts dripping away it looks to me its comeing from the back right of the engine (driver side) I changed the head gasket already so id really love for it not to be that any ideas thankyou!!!! I can post pics later if you need em
Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 prelude leaking water

When the car is on the water does not leak through of that help just wanna make sire u got all the info
Old 10-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr2u53
My 93 honda prelude i took my engine out so i can get all the seals done i just got it all back in the car and started it and everything but i noticed water on the ground just dripping away when i put water in the raittator it just starts dripping away it looks to me its comeing from the back right of the engine (driver side) I changed the head gasket already so id really love for it not to be that any ideas thankyou!!!! I can post pics later if you need em
Pics would be great. Is it a slow drip or something more than that?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its leaking water its only one of a hand full of things. Most commonly its a cracked hose, or a loose clamp that slipped.

If its coming from the back driver side its either a hose off of the head leaking trickling down. Or it is your water pump leaking, only things that stick out to me.

Especially if they were down there changing your main seal. Depends on if the mechanic took the oil pump off as im pretty sure your suppose to at a shop. Which would mean off comes the water pump. But you dont have to, you can change the seals without removing. But thats not the "proper" way. If they took off your water pump and reused an old gasket that may be your issue. Maybe a new gasket that didnt seal correctly? If they didnt take the water pump off, it could still be your issue but unrelated to their work.

Look at your shop receipts and what parts they replaced. If they did take off the water pump, and now its leaking when it didnt before. They should be responsible for repairing.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xiaogou
Pics would be great. Is it a slow drip or something more than that?
Its like a constants slow drip till the raittator gets low on water then slows down

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Colts4life12/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>
Old 10-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Colts4life12/library/Mobile%20Uploads
Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be coming from the heater to water pipe hose. Did you replace that hose while you had the engine out ? That hose is hard to get to with the engine in the car. Could be the hose clamp not gripping the hose good enough around the water pipe. I cant tell from the pics where the location is.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Could be coming from the heater to water pipe hose. Did you replace that hose while you had the engine out ? That hose is hard to get to with the engine in the car. Could be the hose clamp not gripping the hose good enough around the water pipe. I cant tell from the pics where the location is.
I made a video is this better view im thinking it's the head gasket i fear it's not http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/kakka4/library/car
Old 10-26-2014, 10:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That's a lot of leakage. No offense, but I never understand why people choose to replace the head gasket just for the hell of it. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't torque correctly. A head gasket will never ever get damaged if the car doesn't overheat. It will survive as long as the engine does.

That being said, that video is really a blur and it's really dark but from what I see it appears to be bathing in water around the water pump. Can you do a better video in the light and go real slow so we can see more.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
That's a lot of leakage. No offense, but I never understand why people choose to replace the head gasket just for the hell of it. A lot of things can go wrong if you don't torque correctly. A head gasket will never ever get damaged if the car doesn't overheat. It will survive as long as the engine does.

That being said, that video is really a blur and it's really dark but from what I see it appears to be bathing in water around the water pump. Can you do a better video in the light and go real slow so we can see more.
^ this.

Op, check your oil, does it look like oil or chocolate milk? Do you have clouds of white smoke coming out the exhaust? Does your car steam out of the engine bay while driving at operating temp? If you said no to these 3 things you dont have a bad head gasket... Other then the oil, combustion chamber, or out the side like a tea-pot/steamer, where else can it go?

PS I missed the part about you doing the work before my last post... So did you take the water pump off or not? Did you reuse a old gasket?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i did this my self im done it before i didnt take the water pump apart whats so ever im
Going through right now and checking everything ill make another video for u guys to let u know progress
Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You can compression test to check if the head gasket isnt sealing.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its definitely possible there was a install error on the HG, although that is a bit of water for something that should be tightly squeezed imo.

Im betting it is a bad or loose hose-clamp, or split hose on the heater core, or the heads radiator lines. Old water hoses dry out on the ends, maybe he tightened too tight and the old hose split enough to leak when re-installing the engine.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you take off the water pipe on the back of the engine? The o-rings on either side of that are a pain to get sealing right.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I litterly just got done putting it together new gasket and yet same leak but i started feeling around and where i can see the water dripping its like a little hole maybe a bolt could fit but i cover it and leak stops then i let go and water built up in there and poured out fast and back to same constant drip so my question is can i put something there or will it back up the water? Is something suppose to go there?

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/kakka4/library/car
Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 93 prelude water leak

Okay so I litterly just got done putting it together new gasket and yet same leak but i started feeling around and where i can see the water dripping its like a little hole maybe a bolt could fit but i cover it and leak stops then i let go and water built up in there and poured out fast and back to same constant drip so my question is can i put something there or will it back up the water? Is something suppose to go there?

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/kakka4/library/car
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Can you just make a video that isnt dark and where you go very very slow ? And please remove the covers.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 prelude water leak

This is the 3rd time in two threads you have posted the same video...

Dude, that video blows. You cant see ****, its all blury, its not in focus 90% of the time. Your shaking it like you have Parkinson's disease, and its too zoomed in to know what im really looking at.

Im not trying to be rude at all, so dont take it wrong. Go take a clear video of the car, take your time, use light, and let the camera focus. We all will be happy to help you, but need you to help us, help you.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its starting to sound like were getting trolled by the OP.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for being so rude truly apprieatte it. The video is bot
Clear because the site i used wouldnt let me use high quality and I fixed the problem it was the whole water pump its self now its all fixed and no longer leaking thanks for the help
Old 10-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for being so rude truly apprieatte it. The video is bot
Clear because the site i used wouldnt let me use high quality and I fixed the problem it was the whole water pump its self now its all fixed and no longer leaking thanks for the help
That was not me being rude, that was me being blunt and not beating around the bush until you understand what we want from you. We tried to say make a new video more then once. I figured being blunt might get the message through since you are now reposting in whole new threads.

You should appreciate that we are even helping, being you're in a appreciative mood and all.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay dont help me anymore please..
Old 10-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Head gaskets, "normally" will never leak coolant externally. Better chances it leaking internal and mixing with oil as sparksman mentioned. Cylinder compression test is one way of quick checking. For accurate results though, I always go with a cylinder leak down test. Have you found your source of leak yet? Just wanted to share my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay dont help me anymore please..
Yeah....2 threads open for same issue and still being rude to ppl that are nice enough to lend a hand and help?! Hopefully you can find simple water leaks next time on your own before running to ask for help, with some shitty pics and video. Not being rude, just being straightforward.