Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Burning LOTS of oil - Prolong Engine Treatment - Check this out...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning LOTS of oil - Prolong Engine Treatment - Check this out...

OK, last night I was exiting the freeway. The off ramp was a right-turn loop around to a bridge that crossed over the freeway. It's the 94 East exiting Euclid North. I took it at 50 in my SH and it handled it well. However, once I got onto flat road my Oil light started flashing. I got home and check the oil level.....ZERO! The next morning I added a quart.....nothing showed on dipstick. Added one more quart.....STILL nothing on dipstick. I added the THIRD quart of oil.....BARELY a quarter of an inch of the dipstick read the oil. 1 More quart of oil should put it in the normal level. I put 4 Quarts of Oil into my engine!! IT was THAT LOW!

The last time I checked my oil leve was about 3-4 weekes ago. So, I know I'm burning oil out the exhaust. But thats another thread.

But the thing is, how can my car run on little to no oil? I had probably been running on hopes and dreams for all I know!! No, actually I was running on PROLONG ENGINE TREATMENT! If you guys are non-believers of Prolong, please think again! This isn't my only car that has been saved by Prolong. I've has similar situations with my Dodge Ram and Toyota 4Runner.

Prolong Saved It again...

Modified by konvikt at 11:37 AM 1/18/2007
Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 AM

kinda ironic I just got back from my mechanic. I still have my old Civic about 2 years ago it had the same problem but I didn't catch it in time so i blew my egine bearing in the connector rod. The part is only owrth $15 but it's a bitch to install. So i replaced that myself and just 2 days before I got my prelude the ******* thing blew again so now my Civic engine is being rebuilt. I don't know if you caught it on time or not but your bearings and maybe even the crack must be worn pretty good. Pray to the Honda gods that it'll last you.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (Iboot)

Damn how much they paying you for this advertisement? lol
Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Revi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iboot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda ironic I just got back from my mechanic. I still have my old Civic about 2 years ago it had the same problem but I didn't catch it in time so i blew my egine bearing in the connector rod. The part is only owrth $15 but it's a bitch to install. So i replaced that myself and just 2 days before I got my prelude the ******* thing blew again so now my Civic engine is being rebuilt. I don't know if you caught it on time or not but your bearings and maybe even the crack must be worn pretty good. Pray to the Honda gods that it'll last you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I blew my bearings in my 4Runner a few months back. **** costed me like 800 to fix it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn how much they paying you for this advertisement? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not a damn thing! I'll advertise Prolong for FREE! I don't care what they sell it for! As a matter of fact, it's pretty hard to find. Either special order from NAPA or I'll get it on eBay.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (konvikt)

This happened to my brother's SH. He wasn't using prolong and his is still running. Now what?

Those things are a waste of money. You got lucky... period.

You are probably living on borrowed time now.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: (95PreludeSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95PreludeSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This happened to my brother's SH. He wasn't using prolong and his is still running. Now what?

Those things are a waste of money. You got lucky... period.

You are probably living on borrowed time now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X 2 You cant know the condition of your bottom end and cant make any life saving claims without solid proof. eg a teardown. Responsible prelude owners usually check their oil every or every other fill up as a precaution. H22s are oil drinkers period. You are an idiot for checking it every 3-4 weeks and making bogus claims about some oil additive saved you from your own dumb self. When the reality of the situation is your bearings could be fucked up and you wont know until you get some knocking later, what really saved you is Honda engineering building a durable motor.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning LOTS of oil - Prolong Engine Treatment - Check this out... (konvikt)

Originally Posted by konvikt once I got onto flat road my Oil light started flashing. I got home and check the oil level.....ZERO!
[i
Modified by konvikt at 11:37 AM 1/18/2007[/i]
You had just started to lose lubrication at that point. There was still enough oil to circulate at least a bit. Drain the pan and drive for a day or two, then tell us how well it protected your engine.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning LOTS of oil - Prolong Engine Treatment - Check this out... (Perfectionist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You had just started to lose lubrication at that point. There was still enough oil to circulate at least a bit. Drain the pan and drive for a day or two, then tell us how well it protected your engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Harsh!!!! lol.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Prolong =

Was VTEC engaging? Just for fun, answer the question.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (GO-FIGHT-KILL)

I can put in 5 quarts in my engine, drive around, re-check it and it will read in-accurate. Maybe even show no oil. Your supposed to check your oil after its been sitting for a long period of time, preferbly over night. Oil is still spread through out the engine if you check it right after you drive it. You problably added 4 quarts on top of problably 3 or 4 you already had in.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True that you should wait to get the best oil reading, but even after you've just been driving, there should be some in the sump. If it took 4 quarts just to get a reading, he was very low on oil
Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (InvaderTrax)

Prolong???? WTF whatever it is......... been running my 98 SH for 2 years without that **** still runs, just check your oil and add oil if u want ur prelude to be running and change it time to time
Old 01-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (russlan44)

I'm not going to quote and reply to everyone. After I had the Oil light come on I coasted below VTEC the remainder of the way home(2 miles). The next morningI checked it and it read the same. My driveway is level, by the way, so I know I got an accurate reading. I know I should probably check it at least once a week, but fact is I'm burning way too much oil. Oily film is all over the back of my car. THAT topic is in another thread. Say what you want to say about Prolong, I'm good with it.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning LOTS of oil - Prolong Engine Treatment - Check this out... (konvikt)

This is the result of me burning oil: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1868215
Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aw3s0m3.