Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

97 Honda prelude Distributor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Honda prelude Distributor question

I bought a 97 prelude with a H23A DOHC VTEC swap, the distributor went out so I was looking for the same exact one which is TD-94U but I can;t seem to find one, my question is do I have to use the exact same distributor or can I just use a distributor that's compatible with my engine? if you guys could point me to a website where I could buy it that would be awesome too.

as you can see its an TD-94U

thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 97 Honda prelude Distributor question

Are you just not getting spark? If so, it is probably just the ICM, which you can get a replacement for at most parts stores. Usually you can take the ICM in and they can test it for you too before you buy. Iirc they're about $80-$85, but usually come with a warranty.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gstrudler
Are you just not getting spark? If so, it is probably just the ICM, which you can get a replacement for at most parts stores. Usually you can take the ICM in and they can test it for you too before you buy. Iirc they're about $80-$85, but usually come with a warranty.
I took it to the mechanic and he did a bunch of tests on it, he told me it was the distributor. could it still be the icm?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also what i dont understand if what type of connection has been made because i can't seem to find a distributor for this car.

the plugs dont match any distributor

@gstrudler
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

was is a non-vtec h23a1 with a vtec head? Or is it the SIR JDM accord oem vtec h23a?

the jdm one had a internal coil and crank positioning sensor in the distributor. Are you using a obd1 or obd2 ECU in the car? If your OBD1 just go buy a USDM h22a1 external coil dizzy.

If your obd2, you shoudl still buy the USDM h22a1 dizzy but will need to find a oil pump from a h22a4 which has the crank positioning sensor in it. But at that point its almost easier and cheaper to just buy the jumper cable and run a obd1 ECU, and then at least you can have tuned as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sparksman
was is a non-vtec h23a1 with a vtec head? Or is it the SIR JDM accord oem vtec h23a?

the jdm one had a internal coil and crank positioning sensor in the distributor. Are you using a obd1 or obd2 ECU in the car? If your OBD1 just go buy a USDM h22a1 external coil dizzy.

If your obd2, you shoudl still buy the USDM h22a1 dizzy but will need to find a oil pump from a h22a4 which has the crank positioning sensor in it. But at that point its almost easier and cheaper to just buy the jumper cable and run a obd1 ECU, and then at least you can have tuned as well.
SIR JDM accord oem vtec h23a, how do i know which ECU i have in the car?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does this distributor work with your current engine harness? Yeah, it's almost certainly the ICM, that's what actually receives the signal from the ECU and sends it to the coil, but you could ask your mechanic what specifically was bad. In your first photo it's at the bottom of the dizzy; there are three wires that go into it and iirc two screws that hold it down. You can just pop the screws out and unplug it and take it to a your local parts store. They should be able to test just the ICM and find you a replacement if it's bad. You'll pay less than a used distributor that could croak anytime and have it up within a day.

Is this external coil or internal? If I had to take a guess at the spliced wire you have, I would guess it might be for the coil if it was an aftermarket coil (MSD, etc) that doesn't have the OEM connector on it. Otherwise possibly the crankshaft sensor from the oil pump if the ECU was left OBD2, but I'm just guessing here.

If you pull the carpet up on the passenger side footwell under the dash there are four recessed nuts holding down the ECU cover plate. Pull the wire harnesses off the ECU and it should lift out; check out the model number and let us know. The first three characters are the import ones; should be Pxx.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was that little wire plug plugged into something when you removed the dizzy?

That looks like a obd1 big plug, and if that was off off a true jdm h23a it would have the internal coil w/ the crank sensor in it. My guess is that the guy cut and spliced a obd1 plug on a jdm obd2 dizzy. The extra wire was the crank sensor wire, which if your obd1 why would you keep the wire? Knowing your ECU code would really help. If your obd1 I think my theory is right, if your obd2 I have no clue lol.

If all else if you werent obd1 before now is a good time lol. All you need to convert is a ECU jumper, new ECU, and a new h22A1 dizzy to replace the one in question.