Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

92 Prelude SI 4WS/VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Prelude SI 4WS/VTEC

I have a 92 Prelude that I decided not to drive anymore, and it has been sitting for at least 5 years in a garage. Their have been some changes in my life and I would like to get this car running again. I know not using a car is the best way to kill it. Since i am gonna work on getting this car to get it running again I would like your input/opinions on what things i should replace. Here are a couple of things i thought about and i am concerned about.

Gas Tank has old gas in it, how worried should I be about this?
ALL Fluids need to be all flushed and replaced.

I miss this car very much and look forward to getting it running again. I had a promotion at work and got a Lexus IS 300. Then got laid off and had to give it back to the dealership. So here I am working on this car.

When i got this Prelude (Auto), I upgrade the stock H23 to a JDMH22 JDM Auto Tranny with JDM ECU (Auto). I do however plan on exchanging the Auto tranny for a Manual Tranny in the future. But first things first, I got to get the Prelude on the road again in driving condition before i do a tranny swaps.

Thanks in advance.
Derek
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Prelude SI 4WS/VTEC

One of the most obvious things would be to change your spark plugs, replace battery, all the little things really. But an auto- really? That's insane.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cajunking7
One of the most obvious things would be to change your spark plugs, replace battery, all the little things really. But an auto- really? That's insane.
Yes, i forgot to mention those, they will be replaced as well. Yes it was my aunt's car (she chose the automatic) and she wanted a new car. I was in a wreck that totaled my previous car and gave the check to my aunt for her Prelude. She did take very good care of the car.

From all the research i have done, the Manual Tranny will bolt in this car. Most cars you have to cut it in. Just have to find or rebuild a manual tranny, after i get this car running.

At the time i did not know how to drive a standard either. I bought a CX Civic Hatchback and learned and wished i would have just already did the swap to standard when i did the tranny swap.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a few other hobbies (girlfriend calls them addictions).

- Paintball (Tournament Style NPPL, not in camo pant and silly stuff like that)
- Saltwater Tanks (150 Gallon Reef, 75 Gallon Coral tank, 55 Gallon retired, 29 Gallon retired, 30 Gallon retired, 7.5 Gallon retired, all Saltwater)
- Bearded Dragon
- 2 Dogs and a foster dog at the moment.

Finding money to spend on everything is a little hard to do. I dont play Paintball as often as i use to but if a friend calls me up, i'll go. The Saltwater tanks are fun and expensive from time to time. I usually sell corals to local hobbyist and make few hundred dollars when i can. I will probably use my Saltwater corals to raise most if not all of my money for car parts.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

old gas might has caused a little rust maybe but only thing to do is really jus tlet it run through and let the fuel filter catch it. then just constantly replace it... also try some seafoam? fuel injector cleaner, gas treatment, that kind of thing to help with the cleaing of it and stuff not to mucha t one time though too many chemicals in your tank running through will burn out a fuel injector.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't run that gas.... syphon that crap out and put some fresh gas in. i just dropped a fresh 28,000 mile jdm h22 in my 92 lude and i had an entire tank of 2 month old gas... car runs like shhht on it and sputters... as soon as it was burnt up and ran some fresh gas the car runs great... but 5 year old gas... yea definately dont run that. There is a white can of injector / valve cleaner crap that actually works pretty good at autozone or advance auto $10.. used it on a 91 civic with burnt gunky valves and it cleared it up pretty good, i dumped one bottle in the gas tank but i woudlnt mix more than one "cleaner or chemical" at a time in there, put some through the intake side too

any f-series, 4th gen or 5th gen transmission h-series tranny will bolt up.. although id stay away from the f-series..just stating that they do bolt up.

There is some killer stuff that eats ANYTHING in the motor except for metal obviously.. haha.. friend use it on motor swaps that have been sitting for a while its amazing the crap that comes out of them... you cant even breathe the stuff in or youll prob have to go to the hospital lol.. ill try to find the name of it i forgot.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

along with all the basics (oil, plugs,fluids,belts,etc) when was the timing belt last done? belts also get fatigued and dry. i personally wouldnt try that gas either.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

appreciate the responses. I will look into draining the fuel tank and fill with newer gas prior to starting.

TurboBB2- Is it called ChemTool B12? or is it stronger?

I just want to get the motor cranked and replace all the small stuff after i get it cranked. I did have an idle issue when I last had it running. I have read the idle thread and will go through everything there.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The white $10 can TurboBB2 was probably talking about could be Seafoam.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Trial User

I just started using my 92 h22a lude after 2 years in the garage. It's running fine now, but my biggest problem was the bad gas. It made the car shake a lot and run extremely sluggish. Things I had to replace to get it in normal conditions:

-All the liquids (Oil, coolant, trans, brake)
-Thermostat & Fan switch
-Spark plugs & wires
-Air filter
-Service the EGR
-All 4 ball joints went bad

Now it runs great, even better than my 5gen.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Epidemic..sorry for the late response its good to hear you got that 4th gen back on the road! there are not enough preludes around anymore they are kinda dying off really..

i honestly dont know what it was called, friend who runs a shop put it in the motor for me and cleaned it all out before we dropped it in. I just know that even getting close to the stuff my eyes burned for about 20 minutes after lol, maybe some mist got in my eye idk.. pretty potent stuff though. I just googled seafoam, it wasn't seafoam, different white can but i guess you got your ride running now so.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh wait.. i just confused ejaywillie with epidemic lol.... but its good to hear you got your ride running too ejay

whats the news epidemic did you get that beast running?