Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

85 prelude flooding...PLEASE HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 prelude flooding...PLEASE HELP ME!!

I recently purchased my sisters 85 prelude with a flooding problem...my sis took it to a repair facility who told her that the carbs(?) and baseplate would have to be replaced @ $1200...its a 1.8 L and says "dual carb" on the breather but a friend of mine thinks its throttle-body injected...now to the problem,after shutoff,raw gas poors out of the carbs like the injector is stuck open & bleeding off the pressure...the kicker is that it will only do this when "short-tripping" the car...when driven long distance, it will work correctly and not bleed-off thus flooding the car...
my questions are 1 is this model a "carb" setup or throttle-body
2 if it is throttle-body and this problem IS intermittent are the throttle-bodies in need of replacement as my sisters shop said, or could it be something like a control mechanism for the injectors or maybe a control voltage causing it
3 what is a reasonable cost of repair/what parts needed for this type of repair...this is the 1st honda I've ever owned and its in very good shape otherwise,and after driving a Geo Metro for the last 7 years, driving this car is like a breath of fresh air and I am very pleased with it...IF I could get this problem fixed...btw I paid $300 for it and except for this 1 problem it really is in great shape for a 17 yr old car...any help would be greatly appreciated

[Modified by kamiam, 11:03 AM 7/9/2002]
Old 07-09-2002, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 85 prelude flooding...PLEASE HELP ME!! (kamiam)

that is a 1.8liter sohc dual carbed engine. since it's an old car i'd try cleaning it all up and checking for busted fuel lines and leaks. carb cleaners are pretty cheap and you can pick 'em up anywhere. when a car is old things get dirty and sticky, so they get stuck open, or closed.
had an 85 prelude
Old 07-09-2002, 01:56 AM

Default Re: 85 prelude flooding...PLEASE HELP ME!! (BB1)

I have ran carb cleaner in the gas 4 times and it hasn't cleared it...this is an "internal" leak and IF this is a air-breathing dual carb setup, it acts just like a stuck/sunk float...when I shut the engine off raw gas leaks INSIDE the carbs (except when I drive it long distances) flooding out the engine...there are no external leaks
Old 07-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, i meant open up the carb and then clean it with a spray.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:09 PM
New User

the best thing to do is to call up the dealer or a parts store and get a carb rebuild kit. make sure it has two of everything for the carburetor, since there are two carburetors. take the filter box off, take the carburetors off (which come off together) and then follow the diagram on pulling them apart and replacing all the parts on them. you will have all new gaskets, floats, needles, and if you find that some of the valves are sticky, that will give you the perfect time to clean those as well. try that. that will only cost you 20 bucks at the most, and a lot of time, but hey, if it works, then you won't be paying 1200 bucks.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Re: 85 prelude flooding...PLEASE HELP ME!! (crxplus)

Check the vaccume lines in side the air box. Then go buy a carb rebuild kit it's easy to do just place a white trash bag on the floor and put the parts down as you take them off in order and clean them.