Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4th gen standard air box question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen standard air box question

H22a.

Have the wing of the car, drivers wing(RHD) theres a big black air chamber box, with an actuator that controls flaps?? i have it removed, and i dont want to put it back on again, will this be ok? also i followed the vacum line back from the actuator to a box? what is this box, it has a sensor plugged into it, can i remove this box aswell? will it through up an EML, im trying to tidy up the bay.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4th gen standard air box question

Not too sure what you mean by the 'wing' of the car, on my side of the pond the wing goes on the back of the car not under the hood/bonnet.

Anyway the part under the bumper (behind the turn signals) is a resonator chamber and is there to channel air into the upper intake at different rates of speed while quieting the intake noise some. My 98 vtec has the same thing and my old 92 Si (2.3 non vtec) did as well. On the 92 I dont remember having a sensor, but its been years ago since I got rid of the car. The vacuum line actuates the flapps inside of the resonator chamber and can be plugged off appropriately without any issues.

Try un plugging the sensor and see if a light comes on, if so clear it then plug it back in but leave the sensor out of the resonator and start it up again. If it needs that sensor you should be able to fool the car into seeing what it wants.

The 92 eventually had a cold air intake installed which replaced everything from the throttle body down. Both the vacuum line and sensor if it had one were removed with no check engine lights on, well at least not for that.

My 98 has had the lower resonator section removed for quite a while now with no check engine lights, and has been using the stock upper box and intake hose with a high flow factory style filter. No check engine light on and you get the benefits of a cold air intake (cooler intake temps from fender well) and advantages of a short ram (quicker throttle response from shorter intake runner) and it looks stock while running cooler than a metal intake pipe would.

For my new engine I have the popular TypeS upper intake parts from a TypeS prelude (97-01) and will be using a slightly modified stock lower filter box to try to get the most out of my setup.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea we call them wings over here ha, the two front quarters. yea i have the chamber removed and the vac line disconnected, that vac line goes into a small vacum box with a sensor pugged into it. theres another vac line that goes out of that small vac box. cant remember of my head where it goes now. it must be a sensor that controls the operation of the actuator on the chamber box. it would be nice to get rid of that box as its an eyesore. i just dont know if i can.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If nothing else tuck it into the fender well, plenty of room if the resonator is gone.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not a sensor, it's a solenoid to open vacuum to the airbox... go ahead and remove it, won't throw a code. and ideally, get rid of the whole vacuum line from the intake, and cap it at the source. hold onto the check valve, you never know when you might need one.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yroachy
its not a sensor, it's a solenoid to open vacuum to the airbox... go ahead and remove it, won't throw a code. and ideally, get rid of the whole vacuum line from the intake, and cap it at the source. hold onto the check valve, you never know when you might need one.
Thans for that man ill get to it tomorrow