Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers?

Im looking into getting a bike and doing a cafe racer style project. Browsing the internet, it seems that most people who start with a Honda for their cafe project use a CB750. Why is this? If your looking for more power out of the motor , why not start with a CB900? Are their frames that different? What makes the 750 so popular?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (Boarderx192)

In for an answer
Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (Boarderx192)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boarderx192 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What makes the 750 so popular?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're cheap and there's lots of 'em. Parts are easy to get (both OEM and aftermarket). Motors are reliable. Really, you cant go wrong.

CB900's had ugly cast wheels
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They're cheap and there's lots of 'em. Parts are easy to get (both OEM and aftermarket). Motors are reliable. Really, you cant go wrong.

CB900's had ugly cast wheels </TD></TR></TABLE>

How similar are the Cb900's to the 750's? I found a deal on a 81 CB900 for $600 that I might jump on but I want to make sure I can still go forward with my Cafe plan. For refrence, this is along the lines of what I want to do (hate that boxy style on the rear seat):

Old 12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boarderx192 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How similar are the Cb900's to the 750's?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not very similar really but if you like it go for it
Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For a cafe style, like that one in the picture you posted, I'd go for a cb750, or a 350, or a 550. The 900 doesn't have the same lines, and while it could be stripped down and built up in the same style, it wouldn't really look right. But if you plan it out, I think you could make a 900 look pretty cool.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (fatboy01)

900's can still look pretty bad ***

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM
i ♥ snails

that is sick
Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
RIP 1032

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">900's can still look pretty bad ***

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i really don't know anything about these biks, but are you sure this is a CB900?
it says CB750F on the fairing under the seat.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 PM
i ♥ snails

that is beautiful^
Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

Many privatieers placed the 900 engine(bored out to 1024) in 750 frame in the early 80's... the factory units ran 16" rims with an 18"er out back.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (life sux die)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by life sux die &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i really don't know anything about these biks, but are you sure this is a CB900?
it says CB750F on the fairing under the seat. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep.

http://forums.13x.com/showthre...b900f
Old 12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Yeesh.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>
There are no words for how hot that is.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is up with the cafe craze? Most of them never get riden like a racer, what's the point?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (starion88esir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by starion88esir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is up with the cafe craze? Most of them never get riden like a racer, what's the point?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

How many Ferrari's or Lamborghini's are actually driven like racecars?
Old 12-25-2007, 05:46 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers? (starion88esir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by starion88esir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is up with the cafe craze? Most of them never get riden like a racer, what's the point?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When my 750 is done I'm going to do a trackday on it
Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

The point is whatever you want the point to be. Cruise it, track it, commute it, take it to the twisties, whatever.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:55 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by starion88esir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is up with the cafe craze? Most of them never get riden like a racer, what's the point?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Neither are most streetbikes, including most of the racer replica supersports that make up so much of annual bike sales. Often times, cafe racer type bikes can be more fun for street riding, kinda like modern sport standards, aka naked bikes.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to build up a CB750 cafe next summer. It seems that they have way way more parts available for them than the higher-displacement CB's do.

Has anyone seen the WhiteHouse Cb750 full-faired cafe bike? SECHZ.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WanganRunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WanganRunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd like to build up a CB750 cafe next summer. It seems that they have way way more parts available for them than the higher-displacement CB's do.

Has anyone seen the WhiteHouse Cb750 full-faired cafe bike? SECHZ.</TD></TR></TABLE>word, whenever I get my current bike in great shape, I am going to build a crusier
Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why do people most commonly use CB750's for Cafe Racers?

That's a really nice "Spencer Replica" a very cool category of bikes which is worth examining as a side-line to your café racer interests!

But DAMN that exploded wheel is a scary sight! A rear wheel at that, so I can't imagine that it simply impacted with a curb or a bumper etc.

WTF happened? Please don't tell me this was an older Magnesium racing wheel? I keep hearing about them failing, but I haven't seen too many pics of busted wheels. Doesn't LOOK like any of the more common Magnesium rims I know of off hand. Not that I'm an expert by any stretch - they LOOK like mid-'80s Honda rims from the likes of VT500 Ascot or some such, and they look kinda like earlier Suzuki GS or GSX rims as well I suppose, but not....

Either which way, a lot of those Magnesium rims were never intended for street use. Were they? Mostly stamped "race use only" or sold with a disclaimer stated explicitly or implicitly at least. There just isn't so much STUFF on the tarmac of a race-track!

Even so, I would like to hear more about this busted up wheel and WTF happened. I trust that my fellow DOHC-four Honda 'F-er wasn't injured?

BY THE WAY: I'm building an '82 CB900F Bol D'Or café in the style of a '65 CB450K0 Black Bomber, which I refer to as the "CB900K0 Bol Bomber" - if you're at all interested in the '79-'83 CB750K, CB750C, CB750F etc - let alone the CB900F the CB900C the CB1000C the CB1100F or the CB1100R? Then you need to check out the 'F-orum the www.cb1100f.net site we've got some GREAT mods and parts etc for the "higher displacement Hondas" you don't need to go with the SOHC '69-'78 bikes for a cool café racer, we've got some cool stuff going on in the DOHC scene as well!

-Sigh.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The CB750 has clean lines and enough cc to qualify as normal for todays riders.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well hey now, let's not confuse the numbers printed on the side of the bike with actual PERFORMANCE - By almost all modern standards, the CB750 qualifies as a BEGINNER bike, or a "LADY BIKE" - in all but one or two regards. First of all being WEIGHT, and second of all being POOR HANDLING, including SHITTY BRAKES. (By modern standards!)

Whatever sort of hot-rod performance you figure you'll get out of the CB750 or even my CB900F for that matter - it can be bested by an entry-level 600cc crotch-rocket these days!

What it's all about is the NOSTALGIA - the CB750 is what you call a TIME MACHINE - made all the better through period-correct wardrobe & setting. An "immersive experience" if you will.

However don't immediately assume I'm talking about the "Café Racer" game of dress-up! I'm not suggesting you go and listen to the crappy rockabilly bands that play at the tattoo and café racer show!

No, I'm talking about bona fide CHEEZE Americana, a different type of Kitsch altogether. Corduroy pants, brown leather platform boots, disco clothes. Handlebar moustaches, "feathered" hair parted down the middle and poofing up on top like a cartoon of the SASQUATCH. Proper '70s Kitsch Americana. Then ride down to an older section of town that hasn't been GENTRIFIED with dick-weed coffee shops and t-shirt emporiums. Find a shitty old greasy-spoon diner. Eat something chockablock full of bad cholesterol. Have your sweetheart dress up as Farrah Fawcett. Or Leif Garret as the case may be. DIVINE ha-ha - from the John Waters films. Whatever floats your boat. Have them meet you anonymously for a random casual encounter, sans condom(s), in the restroom, or in a shitty cheap fleabag motel. Perhaps simply ON the bike itself? Bring along a an original Kodak "Land" instamatic camera, with the cloth bellows, the ones that fold up flat. Film is now available from "The Impossible Project". Of course 35mm allows you to make bigger prints to blow up magazine size - record sleeve size better still, cropped square and printed on cardboard.....

And yeah, part of that experience is in pushing an old Honda to it's best performance - whether that means in terms of speed, or in terms of handling - or best of all, in terms of LONGEVITY, on the long haul TOURING scene. However you've got to keep in mind that the FUEL ECONOMY is already pretty crappy on an older bike. So if you wanna tour around the world on a 67 horsepower bike, you might as well find something which burns about half as much gas - otherwise this is where you're REALLY paying a premium for the experience. Never mind taking pictures on film instead of digital! Burning your MILES in 1970s terms is really about the same.

Hell - consider this: I've been talking to my Ex-Daughter about using the CB900F for touring through the mountains, over to Vancouver Island and back. Well - her Toyota Yaris makes better mileage than the bone-stock Honda. And THIS Honda is tuned up with some hot-rod parts. So I doubt very much that I'm getting the same black-book mileage on this thing....

This was originally the whole POINT in riding a bike. Well, it's how I rationalized it at least. Truth be told, the better way to tour around the world would be to use a new ELECTRIC bike. Or - at one time, I had plans to ride my old Honda C70 PASSPORT around everywhere. Get it? PASSPORT? Makes sense. The thing's only a 70cc - but there are upgrades available, very cheap engines "CRATE" engines at that - up towards 175-200cc's - and I'm talking cheap too. At the very least, if a person wants to go all authentic, there are 110cc Honda motors and 140cc over-bore kits for 'em. That, and I'd upgrade to a decent sized 2LS drum brake up front. CB160 - I've got a T500 Suzuki 2LS drum on hand. I'd swap out to some 16" fat alloy rims on it - for a cheap low-displacement "run about" version, I'd even try some cheap BMX BICYCLE rims on it! And a bigger leading-link fork. And a T-bone frame like S90 etc, rather than the "Underbone" frame of the Passport and other CUB derivatives. A TOASTER style gas tank. Rear-sets from the CB72 Hawk. Dropped bars, either clip-on or clubman type. Weld some bar clamps directly to the leading-link fork girder arms etc, or on certain of the CUB top yokes you can swap to parts from the trail-bike versions, CT70, Dax etc. THEN you can just stick a standard tubular handlebar on top.

All of these types of bikes are best showcased on a site called "CHALOPY" - plenty of bigger bikes, but with a focus on single-cylinder vintage Hondas.

See, I would like us all to take the axiom "It's better to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow" - to it's logical conclusion. Forget about looking cool with the poseurs out there and look at what all OTHER smaller Japanese bikes are out there. And use THEM for everyday inner-city commuting, for their convenience, economy, compactness, low cost -

AND YEAH 'CAUSE THEY'RE A FRIGGIN' BLAST TO RIDE!!!

Which is to say:

If you're building a CB750 into a "CAFE RACER" because you want better handling and performance out of the thing, 'cause you want to maximize it's potential? GREAT. I'm eager to help in whatever way I can!

However, if you're looking for a bike that's "Enough" to impress some bunch of TURDS who play dress-up every day and I mean ANY type of dress-up whether that's channeling their hetero leather fetish into a Café Racer rockabilly vibe, or channeling their gay leather fetish into a retro '70s "Biker" thing with the choppers and the shitty ****-rock music. As far as I'm concerned, even when people kill and die for their adopted persona, spend their lives in prison or at war with society as well as subtle permutations of their imposed CONFORMIST standards vis-a-vis club UNIFORMS - they're taking the game of being a POSEUR to a whole other level. But they're still just a poseur who's watched too many gawd-damn Hollywood movies! With the likes of Peter ******* Fonda. Or perhaps it was Mickey Rourke and his entourage of hair dressers and image consultants aka fellow bikers, circa his "Wild Orchid" film.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all, when I meet people like this and they just don't know **** all about MOTORCYCLES at all.

Well, first of all when people are gonna try and argue with me that the Harleys are better than a CB750 let alone any other Honda, you've gotta know right then and there that they don't know WTF they're talking about!

And I guess that's what I'm getting at. I keep seeing people get into a CB750 or KZ1000/KZ900, GL1000 Goldwing etc - because the HARLEY POSEURS who they hang around with tell 'em

"Yeah I suppose that's an okay bike too. But it's still not a HARLEY!"

People like that simply need to be EDUCATED. Don't listen to their crap at all, unless it's to analyse where the hell they're coming from.

It's gonna be either one of two things - a generalized IGNORANCE, or a more specific type of ignorance known as RACISM. When you boil it down to it's essence, the reason why a good many people cling to their love of the British twins, or Harley & Indian V-twins, and to a lesser extent theh BMW's & Moto Guzzi, while ignoring what a bunch of totally awesome bikes were coming out of Japan as of the late '50s through early '60s - it's RACISM it's because they want something that was built by other "white" people. Yeah, I suppose to some extent there's an element of "Economic Nationalism" in the sense of Trade Protectionism. But I've gotta say, when I'm talking to people here in CANADA, about a product from AMERICA, they've really got their heads on backwards to call anything but a Harley an "Import"! Unless of course they really do believe we're the 51st state? So too, their love of all things British might be a throwback to a lingering affinity to the British EMPIRE - However I've BEEN to that claustrophobic little island. I can well imagine that Japan is very similar in and of itself - equally ethnocentric in fact. However Mr Soichiro Honda himself was very obviously what you call a WORLD CITIZEN and his gifts to the world were to the betterment of us all, and not intended to stick a rising sun Imperialist Japanese flag on the thing. Kinda like sticking a swastika on a BMW - inappropriate. Unless that were done as an artistic statement about German corporations who profited and continue to profit from slave labour and other **** war crimes! But as a point of PRIDE as to where the bike comes from? Bah - the rising sun flag on a Japanese bike just seems offensive to me. Kinda like painting Hirohito's face on the damn tank. Not so cool. Ha-ha.

Whatever - I'm just saying, there are attitudes about motorcycles which people cling to for all the wrong reasons. And it's good to explore those reasons. Best to envision the motorcycle in it's OWN terms. What the bike is ITSELF, intrinsically.

And yes - in this respect, the CB750 is indeed a VERY good motorcycle. For it's day. And there are aspects of that day and age which are very much worth reminiscing about. However just as with the music of that period - some of which was pretty decent yet quite a lot of the rest completely sucked **** - the politics and attitudes of that day and age need to also be picked through as well. Not just the sexism of women always riding on the back seat, kept there as much by the glass ceiling in the workplace which kept women from earning enough to afford a bike in the first place - heck let's be honest for a moment and acknowledge that a lot of the "big boy toys" of the 1970s were paid for with the child support payments that those dead-beat hippies neglected to pay. In which sense, it's only RIGHT that MY generation should now claim them as OUR toys - because they were what our "sperm donor" absentee fathers bought instead of the basic essentials let alone toys, which we didn't get as kids. At least, not from THAT guy. Ha-ha.

It's true though.

But yeah, all of that stuff needs to be examined. And while I suppose there's still an impropriety of a sort, to say - building an American chopper with Japanese parts - superior parts even, so long as they're not "Made In America" - certain BRITISH parts are acceptable of course, and for some reasons less obvious than others. Most importantly that neither country had adopted the (superior) METRIC SYSTEM.

But yeah - asI was saying - While in some small yet very real sense it's "Period Correct" to avoid the "Miscegenation" of motorcycle parts - At the same type you don't want to let those ideas leak into your head!

So if you're getting into the CB750 let me just say - immerse yourself in HONDA culture for a little bit. Just to try it on for size. Do this before you try to twist & contort your bike into a Bastardized/Americanized CHOPPER which can no longer do anything but track in a long straight line on the highway while you stretch back into those familiar BUICK-esque ergonomics, OR into an ANGLICIZED reinterpretation with the British aesthetics and the Nortonization of the script on your gas tank.

Yes I say so even when you DO want to "Caffeinate" your bike. Because there are many INDIGENOUS HONDA features which are far superior for racing purposes, rather than jumping over to the British and yes even the Italian parts.

Notwithstanding the fact that Honda's RSC racing teams used BREMBO brakes (Italian) on the iconic first DOHC incarnation of the SOHC CB750 - the "RCB" aka "RS1000" endurance racers. AND at other times FONTANA brakes (British) or LOCKHEED (British) which incidentally were also basic equipment on the later Norton Commando disc brakes etc. Well, brand wise. The basic Commando spec Lockheed calipers were definitely not the proper race-spec items!

Yeah, there are aftermarket parts which are pretty damn good. And many of 'em came from abroad. Take for instance alloy rims, of which the Akront (SPANISH - but formerly British) and Borrani (Italian but again the company was formerly the British RUDGE marque exported to the mainland) Aluminum rims - the de facto standard top-shelf items. Yeah, there were D.I.D. wire-spoke rims available, a wheel builder most famous for the COMSTAR wheels fitted to the later SOHC and DOHC era CB bikes (and many other Honda models besides!) But the D.I.D. rims seem built more for strength than for lower weight. So I wouldn't call 'em top shelf kit for improving a CB750 or CB900F....

So too, the HAGON shocks which were the go-to item for upgrading Superbike suspension back in the day.

But when it comes to improving the suspension and stopping power of a Honda, there were indeed some pretty damn good parts from within Honda's own junk pile. Maybe not quite what the ITALIANS managed to do with the Bimota HB1 and HB2/HB3 etc. But right up there all the same.

Certainly far superior to the typical "Make it look like a Norton" stuff that people do with their bikes.

I guess that's why, when I'm working on my 900, I keep coming back to the "Freddie Spencer AMA Superbike" standards, and using a CB1100R Aluminum tank instead of a polished Aluminum tank from a Norton parts catalogue.

There are indeed some pretty cool CB900F café racers out there - far more commonly CB750F-zabc (1979=Z, 1980=A, 1981=B, 1982=C ... and 1983=D the year Honda discontinued the 750 and 900 versions and upgraded their streetbikes to the 1100cc motor modified from the CB1100R racers they'd been running since 1981) and I'd hazard a guess that a lot of the folks who built 'em grabbed a later DOHC CB750 when they were hunting for a SOHC version, and were likely surprised to SEE the newer bike but willing to work with it all the same - and proceeded to do so yet remaining completely ignorant of the CB900F and CB1100F or other Honda models which could donate superior yet compatible parts for said 750 café! Some of 'em seem at first to resemble something like what I'm building, yet they've got a ton of $$$ invested in powder-coating parts they should've swapped out in the first place, as well as catalogue parts of the usual expected types for a high dollar café build, money pretty much ALL of which would've been better spent on selecting some decent HONDA parts straight off the junk-pile!

I'm sure I've already ranted about this, but there are two major pitfalls which people most commonly fall into when "resto-modding" an older bike. ONE is to over-look the decent upgrade parts commonly available to those who know the model much better because they focus on what the bike IS rather than what it is not, the folks who fixate too much on the aesthetic side of things etc. As I was just illustrating with the American Chopper and Anglicized Café-Racer description. The OTHER pit-fall is to ignore the aesthetics altogether or at least to follow a very shitty fashion sense down the CHACHI path, where people throw a bunch of anodized billet **** at the bike, with the thick USD forks of any and all sources, the three-spoke 17" mag wheels of any and all sources, and the over-and-under-braced over-BUILT alloy swing-arm onto these simple vintage bikes. With the Galfer WAVE ROTORS and gold and purple anodized **** all over the place. This is the product of looking at too many MODERN Japanese bikes and having little to no understanding of what a classic bike is all about. The one common thread they can piece together is that classic superbikes seem to all have a backbone frame (not actually the case!) and an across-the-frame inline four engine (not the case either!) and so you hear about how awesome the ZRX1100 was and how people wish their KZ1000S racer could look more like THAT - when of course the ZRX was a styling exercise meant to emulate what the KZ was about in the first place. Yeah, in a sense this whole new game of playing LEGO BLOCKS with eBay parts has been given the heading "Street Fighter" - but that was a term which meant something far far else entirely back in the '90s when people began yanking damaged fairings off of their CBR and running 'em without replacements just a random functional head-light to stay legally compliant for safety inspections etc.

Hey do whatever the hell you want to with your bike. But think about how you'll feel about it down the road. And what you'd be leaving to the next guy if and when you sell the bike!

If you're NOT a fan of choppers at all, take a good look at some of the more bastardized CB750 based choppers out there, and consider what a hassle it would be to build your new bike out of THAT whole mess. Heck, if you're only after an engine and frame that might be a good place to start. Provided they haven't welded a HARD-TAIL onto the thing. Might be some decent justice to further modify a hard-tail CB into a mono-shock with a bolt-on subframe from some random crotch-rocket - a modification many people do simply to put the rear COWL on that they want, more so than an ostensible improvements to the suspension ha-ha. Same as the hard-tail - right? But yeah, in that sense a chopper might actually be a good place to start! Heck a raked-out stretched neck might be a good place to start if you're gonna put adjustments into the neck, like an early '80s Endurance racer type special. It would be justice at least....

See - if only we could convince the guys who are building all of those cookie-cutter hard-tail chopper frames, to make ... say, a Buell Battle-Twin style frame for the IRONHEAD sportster! Now THAT would be a start in the right direction!

Then IF they're still interested in the Honda fours, they could make replicas of the EGLI-HONDA, MOTO MARTIN, HARRIS MAGNUM 1 & Magnum 2, Nico Bakker's Chassis for the DOHC four, the BIMOTA HB1 for SOHC CB750 and HB2 or HB3 for the DOHC CB900F & CB1100F.....

YEAH now that would be some cool stuff - and very much prescient to what people are trying to do with these bikes right now. In the absence of the "Forca Italia" quick-change forks, people could hunt through the junk-pile for CBR parts which copied the original designs. Instead of 16" Dymags I suppose the 17" rims would be acceptable - of course it would be even better to dig up the original 16" tires 'cause SOME of the manufacturers are still making 'em - There are some decent bits and pieces out there which could be used to fudge a decent replica of the Bimota originals. There's even reproduction bodywork out there. However, there aren't any FRAMES it's the FRAMES which are missing from this picture!

It's the OEM Back-bone frames which leave these modern USD fork & crotch-rocket wheels versions of CB750 "Street-Fighter" looking like what I like to call 'em: An "Oreo Cookie Bike" ha-ha. However, you stick that same DOHC-four "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" engine, or SOHC-four Honda motor - into a Bimota STYLE perimeter frame (it needn't be an identical copy, just a decent tubular-steel universal Superbike frame for building a custom one-off special with) and all of a sudden those mis-matched components make a whole lot of sense!

Meanwhile, for those who are seeking a more authentic CR750 replica there are some parts becoming available to the market - the 200mm twin-leading-shoe rear hub in Magnesium alloy, the Magnesium lower forks, stuff like that.

If we could get more parts like that to convert off-the-shelf DOHC Honda stuff into WORKS SUPERBIKE items, perhaps an upgrade kit for the GL1500 Goldwing fork like I was talking about? A steering-damper mounting kit that fits like the one on Spencer's original racer? Some RIMS that would pop into the OEM COMSTAR wheels and widen the wheels by simply drilling out ten rivets and replacing 'em with lock-nuts! Now THAT would be impressive.....

But yeah - I reiterate what I've said over and over again. If and when you get your hands on a CB750, immerse yourself in the CB750 literature itself, it's real world track history, the other bikes made using the same engine such as the iconic Bimota HB1 first of all Bimota models and valued at something like a hundred grand to half a million in today's dollars - Meanwhile shake out your head and ditch all of the CHOPPER and/or CAFE RACER ***** you've picked up.

And if anybody tells you "Yeah I guess the CB750 is an OKAY bike - but still not a Harley"??? Tell them to screw off.

I guess the same goes for the modern crotch-rocket enthusiasts. Yeah, it's true that the modern 600cc entry-level Japanese bikes can all blow the CB750 away. But point out to them how totally HIDEOUS their bikes are! Tell them your bike PRE-DATES Japanimated Manga Cartoons, that it wasn't designed by a computer. That it was made from smelted down Kamikaze fighters not old soda-pop cans....

-S.