Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

tall riders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tall riders? i need advise!!!

hey, i know that what iam about to ask has been asked before or something around those lines..but who cares...iam about 6'6-6'7 and 225lbs, iam going to be moving to SF in a few weeks and ive made the executive discision to sell my civic and get a bike...i really dont feel like parking 50 blocks away from my apt and walking and iam more than positive i will get $20000 worth of parking tickets my first year and not to mention the $4.50/gal for gas. so a bike is an answer to all those questions.....but my real question is...before i go down to a shop and make an *** of myself, what do you think about someone my size ridin a 600cc bike??? iam not fat by any means, its the height thing that makes me wonder if i will even fit.....so what is everyone consensus??? is there anyone else who has drivin a bike in SF??? what is it like??? i would only be riding about 3 miles to the financial district for work...
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (bacala200)

1. You dont want a 600 as a first bike
2. You dont want a 600 as a first bike IN SAN FRANCISCO

Its not a friendly place to first start riding, esp not on a modern 600 thats gonna put your knees into your face to get your boots on the pegs. I'd look for something far more upright, and I wouldnt cell that civic just yet
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (ucb)

yea...after reading a few other posts...i think maybe a kawa 250r would be better...but the seat height is 30.5 in....damnit,,,i didnt want to keep the civic
Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

you are moving to a brand new city, prob gonna be finding a new place. How do you plan on buying furniture, cleaning supplies, groceries, etc? Im just saying, you might want to hold off getting rid of it for awhile, come here and take the msf and see if riding is even for you before you cell a reliable mode of transport
Old 06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

supermoto would be perfect for you.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (Rednas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rednas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">supermoto would be perfect for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dead on.

Or a VFR/sport tourier.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 PM

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (GraphiteAccord)

ive grown up around the city...iam not one to call myself a stranger to it at all...iam living with 2 of my old frat bros who have suv's and trucks...so iam not concerned about getting groceries or other stuff....a supermoto you say?? i also would use it to drive back home which is like 70 miles away from SF..would i be able to drive it on the freeway?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 AM
The Science Guy

Generally I think the problem is a big is too big for a person rather than too small. A 600 cc motorcycle is powerful enough to haul a 6'7" 225 lb person without overstraining the engine. 600cc motorcycle for a first bike... My only concern with that is not necessarily that you can't handle that power, but many first time riders drop their bikes (I dropped my first bike 3 times), and if your going to drop a bike, let it be a beater bike rather than a expensive 600cc bike.

I dunno about a bike in San Francisco. I had one in LA before and that came pretty close to my risk taking limit. With all the hills and stuff in SF, I don't think I would ever consider owning a motorcycle there.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:54 AM

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!!

i was already thinking about getting a craigslist bike...already used and i wouldnt be as mad if i dropped it compared to a new one....my whole thing in the city is cost of gas + the trouble of parking, is not good having a car...plus my car now has a CEL---misfire in all 4 cylinders and a random misfire code,,,its on its last leg here, so its time for a change reguardless..
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vfr
Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!!

a VRF is kinda out of my price range...iam lookin to spend like 5k tops on a used bike....i think what iam gonna do is take a MSF course in SF and look to get either a used R6 or cbr600...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are 6'7 you really don't want a 600rr or an r6 for commuting. I'm 6'4 and have a tough time getting comfortable on the new r6, although the 600rr wasn't as bad.

I'd say get a bike that doesn't have clip-ons. The yamaha FZ6 would likely fit you well. I feel like I'm riding on a lazy-boy on the FZ when compared to the supersports.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get supermotard then. lol
Old 06-27-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (fatboy01)

the commute to work is very short...less than 5 miles...i would only use it for short trips and the occasional drive home which is 60-70 miles away...ive seen some pretty fat people riding R6's or CBR's. i dont see why i wouldnt be able to ride a sport bike...this would just be something to use to get out of the city if i had to and not completely rely on public transportation...
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bacala200 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..i think what iam gonna do is take a MSF course in SF and look to get either a used R6 or cbr600...</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you've got your mind made up, good luck!

Oh yea....

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2279488

Have fun, and make sure to get a will together.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bacala200 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the commute to work is very short...less than 5 miles...i would only use it for short trips and the occasional drive home which is 60-70 miles away...ive seen some pretty fat people riding R6's or CBR's. i dont see why i wouldnt be able to ride a sport bike...this would just be something to use to get out of the city if i had to and not completely rely on public transportation...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not that you couldnt ride them, its that you would probably hate it for commuting. Shaq could ride a ninja 250 if he wanted, but would it be smart? No.
I would think a supermoto, dualsport or a sport tourer like an FZ6, FZ1, or VFR would be perfect for you.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:30 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its not that you couldnt ride them, its that you would probably hate it for commuting. Shaq could ride a ninja 250 if he wanted, but would it be smart? No.
I would think a supermoto, dualsport or a sport tourer like an FZ6, FZ1, or VFR would be perfect for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

PLus at 6'7", you will look like shaq stuffed in a prelude on a 600SS. 600SS's are designed for SMALL riders, have you seem the avg motogp rider? Its like they are almost horse jockey status

At 6'7" you are like an entire foot taller than what the bikes optimal ergos were designed for

Go to a bike dealer, sit on a few bikes and report back. You can get an Fz6 for cheap, same engine as the R6, but a much more upright riding position that will help make riding more comfortable for a person of your height
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go supermoto, then when you want to go fster, the Aprilia tuono has a really high seat height.
I am 6ft tall and just just barley flat foot it. But at a stop, it;s easier to just lean to one side and use 1 foot.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (zc911)

You can do it if Jordan did it.

Hes like 6'6 I beleive, serach what he did if he modified anything on his bike to be able to ride it.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:37 AM

sv650, end discussion
Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

919 would work really well. I'm surprised many ppl don't recommend or ride them on this forum. After all this is a Honda forum and Honda does have the superior engine.

I have one and I'm 6'4". I fit on it very well. It's a pretty nice bike for what it is. I'll have to post some pics to show they can be appealing. Because I agree the stock ones aren't all that attractive.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (that one guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sv650, end discussion</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup

/sv650whore
Old 06-28-2008, 02:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (EKhothatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhothatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda does have the superior engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (EKhothatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKhothatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">919 would work really well. I'm surprised many ppl don't recommend or ride them on this forum</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's because most of the people asking for advice on this forum are either new riders, or have already made up their mind on another bike. I would not, under any cirucumstances recommend a 919 as a first bike. The motor is based on the former open-class Honda motors (CBR900RR and such), and is a torquey son of a gun... the bike is a blast, and I would enjoy owning one, but not as a 1st.

OP: It sounds like your mind is set on a 600 super sport, so good luck. They are all going to be a tight fit, and probably not the greatest city bikes (read: lack of lowend torque for starting in traffic on a hill)... being that you are a novice rider I advise even more heavily to consider other options. While the SV650 is a very capable bike in the right hands, it is also a lot more forgiving and probably more comfortable for a rider of your altitude.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Re: tall riders? i need advise!!! (Tornadom)

+1 on the sv650 idea. That would work out pretty well too.

A supersport is the complete opposite of what you want for inner city riding.

Dont post here again until you've done this : Go to a few dealerships and sit on <U>every</U> single bike they have. Find one thats tolerable when sitting on it for 5 minutes without adjusting yourself too much.

The smaller engine the better, because most comfortable bikes will have a larger motor but might be a bit much for a first bike. I think you should try out an FZ6, any supermoto/dualsport, sv650, or a honda 599.

Quick Reply: tall riders?