Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Please help with my brake fluid change job!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with my brake fluid change job!!

Well, I screwed up....

I began with my front brake lines. The first thing I did was pump my front brakes like 6 times. Then I hooked up the bleeders to the tubes and popped open my reservoir cap. Next thing I did was loosen the bleeder screws. Fluids came out and I kept on squeezing on the handle thinking I was doing the right thing. I did that until almost every drop was gone in the reservoir.

2 hours later, my bleedres screws are stripped (need to get new ones tomorrow). My reservoir is filled with fluids, but my brakes don't do ****! I squeeze them and they go all the way and of course don't stop my wheels. I think my brake line is filled with air. **** me.

What should I do? Get a pump? What is the problem? How can I get my brakes back working again?

Originally Posted by mcd
Did you bleed all the old fluid out of the reservoir and then simply add new fluid? If so, you will still have air in your lines. You need to add the new fluid, and bleed the brakes until there is no air coming out of the bleeder screw, only fluid. When doing this, make sure you keep the reservoir level topped off, so that you dont suck any air into the lines. If you did all this correctly, then I am not sure what your problem is. Might want to try it again just to make sure you did it properly and that you didn't suck air in through the reservoir.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, I bleed all the old fluid out and then simply added new fluids. The reservoir is topped off right now and full. Right now I first tighten the bleeders, squeeze brake a bunch of times (even though it depresses all the way and doesn't brake the wheel), hold down the brake handle, loosen the bleeders, watch a little bit drip out, retighten the bleeders, and the let of of the brake handle. Repeated the process a few times, but fluids are still not coming out quickly and there is still no pressure in the brake line.

BTW, it's a 2000 R6
Old 05-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You just need to get the air out of the lines. I don't see why the fluid in the reservoir would not go down the lines. Have you tried hooking up a vacuum pump to the bleeders to get the air out?

How did you strip the bleeder screws? I didn't know that was possible...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You just need to get the air out of the lines. I don't see why the fluid in the reservoir would not go down the lines. Have you tried hooking up a vacuum pump to the bleeders to get the air out?

How did you strip the bleeder screws? I didn't know that was possible...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am thinking about hooking up a vacuum pump cause gravity ain't pulling much. Any recomendations?

Haha, yeah, I stripped the screws cause I was using shitty wrenches that my dad bought from the dollar store.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a Mityvac vacuum pump.

It helps to have a friend checking the fluid level of your master cylinder as you're bleeding the brakes. S/he can constantly add more fluid if the level drops too low.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Where did you get it? How much?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (detaude)

Sears. I believe $50, but I've bought so many things lately that numbers are just all jumbled together. I picked the Mityvac because it had the small tubing necessary to fit over our motorcycle-brake-bleeders. Some of the other ones I tried had large tubes, and did not form a good seal around the bleeder.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:46 PM

here is an update:

Just ordered a pair of goodridge speed bleeders for my front brakes and a mityvac pump from Cal-sportbike. total including shipping was $54. Wish me luck.