Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

differences in 600rr for california emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences in 600rr for california emissions

i am looking in to a 04 600rr, and the dealer told me it was set up for california emissions so it is 15hp down. how does the bike differ from a non carb. emission bike?

thanks dash
Old 01-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for bmore.

i know ashish (usdmPC3) just moved out to cali from the east coast not too long ago. he has a 600rr.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for bmore.

i know ashish (usdmPC3) just moved out to cali from the east coast not too long ago. he has a 600rr.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he brought his RR with him though? I think the emission standard is only held on bikes sold in cali? Could be wrong...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no. he bought his pc3 once he got to SD.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mag00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the emission standard is only held on bikes sold in cali? Could be wrong... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe you are correct i have bin looking for a serves manual to see if there is "extra" parts on the cali one, but i cant find one on line......
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 AM
rastropovitch

Default Re: (dash)

in the old days, this may have been the norm (detuned cams, smaller carbs or cv's vs slide)... there were 49 state models to be sure, now days I think most (not all) manufacturers make the new bikes 50 state complient. Having said this, I know some makers put extra air injection parts on the bikes to help burn off any extra emissions seeing as how all us californians have our panty's in a wad about the future of our golden state. but 15 HP??? That seems to much to me
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a CA bike. the differences are sutle; evap canister, some extra hoses and such; o2 sensors; and the lower fairings being different to accomodate all this junk. my biggest annoyance is the o2 sensors; i can't run them with my exhaust and without a power commander the throttle is a little choppy and gas mileage isn't what it could be. i have a 49 state ecu though; i just need to get it over here. lastly; there is no way CA bikes are 15hp down. maybe like a couple whp at most but not 15.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Son

Default Re: (MSchu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the old days, this may have been the norm (detuned cams, smaller carbs or cv's vs slide)... there were 49 state models to be sure, now days I think most (not all) manufacturers make the new bikes 50 state complient.</TD></TR></TABLE>True, soon if not now all bikes will be 50 state bikes with the same emision standards.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (usdmPC3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usdmPC3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a CA bike. the differences are sutle; evap canister, some extra hoses and such; o2 sensors; and the lower fairings being different to accomodate all this junk. my biggest annoyance is the o2 sensors; i can't run them with my exhaust and without a power commander the throttle is a little choppy and gas mileage isn't what . </TD></TR></TABLE>

so with a CA bike i will leave a couple of hp on the table,, how bad is the choppy throttle?? and under what conditions?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dash &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so with a CA bike i will leave a couple of hp on the table,, how bad is the choppy throttle?? and under what conditions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's so minor, most people wouldn't even notice it. i.e. if you were to stick Son on my bike, he would maybe notice it but only because he has the same bike. btw, if you want a CA bike, mine is f/s.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Son

Default Re: (usdmPC3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usdmPC3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's so minor, most people wouldn't even notice it. i.e. if you were to stick Son on my bike, he would maybe notice it but only because he has the same bike.</TD></TR></TABLE>My R6 also has an abrupt throttle. Everyone thats rode it complained about that and the need to take out the throttle slack. But I like it the way it is. You get use to it.

dash:Why the interest in Ca models? Moving over here?
Another bump for usdmPC3, his 600RR is for sale
Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Son)

Like usdm said, no way its down 15hp. Ive seen 4-5whp but most likely its from being on different dynos, its not down too much. You can remove the evap canister to save a couple of lbs and zip tie the hoses down. Exhausts like Yoshi's come with 2 o2 bung's and plugs so it can work for ca or non-ca bikes. Not as big of a difference as before where ca bikes would come with detuned cams and such. Carb does suck though, at least we dont have to smog our bikes like we do our cars.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Son)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Son &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dash:Why the interest in Ca models? Moving over here?
Another bump for usdmPC3, his 600RR is for sale </TD></TR></TABLE>

no not going to move, all tho the weather this week would make me consider it. I found a couple of 04 blue 600rr's (CA virson)and i rely want a blue one, so i wanted to get some good info on what the differences were before i bought one.

thanks for the help