Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2006 Ridgeline - Scraping noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 01:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 2006 Ridgeline - Scraping noise when turning

Hi all - My 2006 Ridgeline has developed a rotational metal on metal scraping noise, similar to that of a dust shield on a rotor, when turning hard left - however, after removing, grinding and re-mounting the rotor close to 10-15 times, I can't for the life of me figure out what's scraping - it doesn't seem to be the dust shield.

The noise comes from the rear right (passenger) wheel. I can't find any evidence of the rotor scraping on anything - I've even ground down the little ridge that protects dust from entering the parking brake assembly thinking there was rust built up there.

It seemed to start when I replaced the pads&rotors on the rear a few months back, but has progressively gotten worse and worse. and ONLY occurs when turning left above 10 MPH, when there's significant load on that side of the truck. I CAN hear it when going over bumps as well, when the right side of the vehicle takes the bump, forcing the suspension to compress on that side.

When going straight, there is no noise. The harder I load up that side, the louder the noise becomes. With light load, it's rotational and comes in short bursts as the wheel turns, with more load it becomes one long scraping noise.

It's a "shhhh shhh shhhh shh" type noise, so I don't think it's a CV either.

I don't think it's a wheel bearing, there's no play in the hub, and as far as I can tell there's no moaning noise, but the A/T tires I have on the truck may be muting that if there is.

I'm at my wits end, and about to bring it to a mechanic, but would love to see if there's any last ditch efforts to check to do it myself.

Any ideas here?