Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....
Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Front wheel squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front wheel squeaking noise

Ok I have given up, I am out of ideas.

My front driver side wheel was making a squeaking noise, found out the front caliper was seized so it was replaced.

still making noise, so I cut the dust shields off to see if they were rubbing. still making noise. so I replaced the rotors and pads, still making noise, so I bought the brake pad clips (since the I didnt have any) and its still making noise.

the front driver side wheel makes a squeaking noise while Im moving, as soon as I apply brakes it stops, but after replacing all these parts and it still makes the noise I have no clue what it is, anyone got any ideas? thanks ahead of time.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Front wheel squeaking noise (Dackonn)

mine also does that on my eg it squeks and i have no idea what it is.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Front wheel squeaking noise (psychopunk627)

bump? I now realize this is in the wrong section - so if someone could move it that would be great ... no one has any suggestions? I searched before posting btw also found no answers
Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

youre going to have to give more detail than "squeeky noise"

does it go away when braking?

acceleration?

have you actually looked? taken the wheel off again?

done any other work recently? ever?

wheel bearing would be my wild *** guess.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Front wheel squeaking noise (Tyson)

I answered your questions in the original post - it goes away as soon as the brakes are applied - it squeaks while moving ... sounds like it goes with the rotation of the wheel.

as for looking again though - I have - but I cannot get the car to make the noise while the car is off the ground - if I put it up on stands or a lift and get the wheels spinning it doesnt make any noise ... with the wheels on or off ... so I have no clue .... and btw - thanks for the help ... I seem to be getting the wheel bearing suggestion alot - although it goes away when braking - also it stopped this morning ... I dont know wtf is going on ... maybe the new pads/rotors needed to seat themselves? and I dont know if it will come back...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so its intermittent? is it more of a "tinny" sound? check the axle hub ring. its behind the knuckle and is press fit. if youve taken the axle out ever, its possible it got knocked out and is just rotating around.
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM

yes the car is recently swapped and the driver axle gave me problems so Im on the second one ... I will take a look at that, and to answer your question yes sometimes it goes away and it is more of a "tiny sound"
Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unfortunately, you have to take the axle off again to check.

#2 is the hub ring.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:50 AM

thanks for the diagram - I will do anything to make it go away lol - btw the noise seems to stop when I turn the wheel to the right for sure - possible the left ... for example if Im switching to the right lane and turn the wheel to switch lanes the noise will stop until I straighten the wheel back out ... but I will check the hub ring either today or tomorrow when I get out of work
Old 10-28-2007, 08:21 PM

ok tested it - turn the wheel right it gets louder - left it goes away ... wtf?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem when turing the steering wheel to the left it squeaks (door hinge in need of lubrication type squeak) and turn to the right it goes away. I tried to see what is causing it to squeak by putting it on jackstands and turing the steering wheel to the left and it did not squeak. So it squeaks when it has load on it.
While the car was still on jackstands I checked all the boots, no tear was found; also checked left strut for leaks/wear and everything seems in order. The odd thing is that when it's cold and have moister in the air the squeak quiets down. But, if you fixed your problem let me know as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Front wheel squeaking noise (dude_123)

I have the same ******* problem lol - as soon as the car is up in the air it doesnt make any noise ... Ill let you know if I fix it
Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 AM

update - it appears our problem is cause by a bad hub ring/axle/wheel bearing ...after doing a lot of research online I have learned that the squeaking noise stops when the car is off the ground because there is no load on these parts ... the problem is that all of the parts cause the problem. For the bad news ... since they all cause they problem you basically have to replace them and check them one at a time because all 3 parts could be messed up or just one ... I will update when I get everything fixed ... thanks again for the help ...
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just take the axle out and check.

whats with all this guessing and testing? just physically open it up and it will be obvious if the ring falls out, or if something has been rubbing.

im starting to doubt if you even put the axle nut on properly.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:10 PM

I work 65 hours a week .. tomorrow is my first day off ... I havent gotten a chance to even look at the car yet ... so I have been researching **** while Im at work ... so that is the reason for all the guessing - and yes the axle nuts are on correctly
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM

took the suspension and brakes apart yesterday - didnt notice any problems - lubed everything up and put it back together and the squeaking stopped - its been over 24hrs and it hasnt come back yet but we will see (I also removed the axle and check the hub ring ... everything seemed normal)
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Davis Photography

could the ring have resettled as you pulled the axle out?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: (DrewMD)

that would be more of a question for tyson ... I dont really see how that could happen - but I dont have that much knowledge about suspension/axle parts - I would guess anything is possible though ...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DrewMD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrewMD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could the ring have resettled as you pulled the axle out?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no, i dont see that possible.

i see that dackonn rechecking the installation of his suspension as the proper thing to do and probably paid more attention and did it right which solved the problem, whatever it was.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:14 PM

thanks again for the help - yoru are correct though sir - I paid more attention this time around - and regardless of the fact that I could not find a problem re lubing and reinstalling the parts correctly must have fixed it so either way thanks again
Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: (Dackonn)

ok I am honestly at a loss - 48 hours later the noise came back on the way to work ... again it stops when im braking .... I sprayed the wheel/brake with brake cleaner and it seemed to stop it for a little while and then it comes back ... wtf - but seeing as I dont have any days off until monday to diagnose the problem I am just going to give my car to the local mechanic today after work see if he can pinpoint the problem - and I will use the wifey's car to take to work ... oh well

Modified by Dackonn at 4:45 AM 11/2/2007
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Hey there,
Was a mechanic able to determine the cause of your wheel squeaking? If so, what was the cause? What was involved in resolving it and how much did it cost you?

I have what sounds to be the same problem but the back right wheel. Took it to my garage and had the tires, rotors, pads all replaced but squeak/rubbing noise is still there. The noise is intermittent, sounds rotational, and generally occurs after I've been driving 15-20 minutes... like when things heat up?? I also went up island one day and it became more frequent and louder (possibly due to increased heat for longer, faster driving?).

I've since taken it the Honda dealer and the mechanics spent 2.5 hrs checking it out. Said they only got the noise to duplicate once very briefly and couldn't tell where it was coming from. They checked (probably only visually) the brakes, suspension, tires and said they all look good and not to worry about it because it's not a safety issue. How do they know it's not a safety issue when they don’t' know what it is...

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Front wheel squeaking noise (dude_123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dude_123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same problem when turing the steering wheel to the left it squeaks (door hinge in need of lubrication type squeak) and turn to the right it goes away. I tried to see what is causing it to squeak by putting it on jackstands and turing the steering wheel to the left and it did not squeak. So it squeaks when it has load on it.
While the car was still on jackstands I checked all the boots, no tear was found; also checked left strut for leaks/wear and everything seems in order. The odd thing is that when it's cold and have moister in the air the squeak quiets down. But, if you fixed your problem let me know as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could it possibly be your lower ball joint?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Here's a dumb question... is a lower ball joint different from the CV joint? What does the ball joint do? The noise also occurs sometimes when I drive straight...

FYI: When I had the brakes done, I was told that there were minor signs of CV joint wear but nothing to be concerned about.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Front wheel squeaking noise (navy34gal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by navy34gal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a dumb question... is a lower ball joint different from the CV joint? What does the ball joint do? The noise also occurs sometimes when I drive straight...

FYI: When I had the brakes done, I was told that there were minor signs of CV joint wear but nothing to be concerned about.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe this won't be the best explanation,so if I get something wrong,some one please fell free to correct me.

The cv joint is part of the cv axle which turns the wheels and makes the car go.The ball joint is a part that helps connect the hub to the cv axle.

Here is a pretty good write up about how to change both.
http://images.google.com/imgre...&prev=

I don't know what your mechanic is talking about minor cv wear.If there is a tear in the cv boot that protects the cv joint from dirt and all sorts of mess,then I don't know if I would call that "minor ".Even if there is a small tear in the boot,it will more than likely leak out all of the grease eventually,and that ain't a good thing.I just had my cv axle replaced and it wasn't that expensive.I would suggest that if you have an issue with your axle to get it replaced asap.

Quick Reply: Front wheel squeaking noise