Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

k20 cr-z swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: k20 cr-z swap

lht did awesome work but unless i was a baller and can pay off the crz all out then i would swap a k20 otherwise it keep the OG engine.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1320whtrex
How is it that at the end of that video it says "Yes! Everything works"?

There's not even a belt on that engine in the vid.... lol.. How about a video with it running?.. At least idling....
i saw the PS belt in the video...n clue what ur talking..
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's not even a belt on that engine in the vid.... lol.. How about a video with it running?.. At least idling....

I dont think you looked at it good. The motor does have a belt, and from what I saw it was idling. I agree with you, a video of it running would be good!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.sae.org/mags/AEI/9089
Old 12-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in the video the car is running...... its finally made it to autoblog as well. more pics/video is on the way. they guy that wired it up works with me. i asure you its real and drivable.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol people act like you cant get an engine running in another car. An engine doesnt give a **** where its at as long as its got spark, fuel, and timing. Computer doesn't care where its at as long as its immobilizer disabled, has 12v, and all the sensors tell it what to do.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's amazing to see the comments before the facts are known...lol

It's a photoshop....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmOffqwWrJU
Old 12-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome
Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the K or J is from the same generation and for sake of arguement you have the engine harness, the swap can be done....you will need the equal ecu of course....guages working and what not is no different than any other straight foward swap. Im looking at a crz also and i do have a k24, and all thats included for a swap. im looking at the eg k mounts from hasport and cutting and re welding them, and than what wires are left over lookign at metering and spliceing. looks pretty simple compared to some other swaps out there. looks like you will ahve to cut down k axles and use the inner hub (to the tranny) and the out portion from the crz, just re splined and cut to fit. you will have to be chipped though, prob a blank eprom and get a real tune most likely cause i doubt k pro will be able to handle all the data logging and handleing of the car and ecu....jsut my 2 cents, and its ok if hes just shooting the **** on here, we all learn and all share.

that vid of the Krz is pretty legit! soon there will be more too come!! im likein the seats..
Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need a belt to start a car... the starter dont run off the belt. battery power can power a car for almost an hour ...
Old 12-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
lol people act like you cant get an engine running in another car. An engine doesnt give a **** where its at as long as its got spark, fuel, and timing. Computer doesn't care where its at as long as its immobilizer disabled, has 12v, and all the sensors tell it what to do.
yes sir.. a swap is easy to do if you know whats your doing and what to wiring up. mounts are too hard to fab either.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is one k20a and i think its going to be in the next honda tuning magazine
Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HYJINX247
in the video the car is running...... its finally made it to autoblog as well. more pics/video is on the way. they guy that wired it up works with me. i asure you its real and drivable.
Just curious what your name is, if you work with Steve.

Use to live in the Bradenton area for a long time.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not jusy buy an Si?

have you DRIVEN the cr-z ...motor aside, the interior is horribly cheap, blind spots are HUGE, and there's zero room...

for the price of the car, k20, swap parts, ecu, tuning, wiring/harness...it's gonna cost you leaps and bounds more than just snagging an si, boosting it, calling it a day...
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the CR-Z financed? To borrow and finance your way thru this project would be seriously foolish mistake.

I also think it's incredibly stupid to change the name of the vehicle based on the engine it has in it. K sight and KR-Z, come on, seriously? So lets follow suit and rename all of Honda's cars, swapped or not, a B series crx is now a BRX, and since the NSX has a C series engine lets rename it to the CSX, and a H22 CRX is now the HRX and the current Si, lets call it the Kivic or how about Civic KSi or SiK and a J series hatch a Jivic. Utterly the ghey.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kidnkorner
Is the CR-Z financed? To borrow and finance your way thru this project would be seriously foolish mistake.

I also think it's incredibly stupid to change the name of the vehicle based on the engine it has in it. K sight and KR-Z, come on, seriously? So lets follow suit and rename all of Honda's cars, swapped or not, a B series crx is now a BRX, and since the NSX has a C series engine lets rename it to the CSX, and a H22 CRX is now the HRX and the current Si, lets call it the Kivic or how about Civic KSi or SiK and a J series hatch a Jivic. Utterly the ghey.
some ones vagina just EXPLODED!!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by touchmyHONDA
some ones vagina just EXPLODED!!!!!
^^^ hahaha!!! this thing is awesome, real **** people
Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arsenal
Just curious what your name is, if you work with Steve.

Use to live in the Bradenton area for a long time.

Bj...and yeah i have known steve for ...ahhhhhh since i was 15. and iam 28 now lol. but yeah i just left honda about a month ago. and a week before i left this car was brought in for steve to do the alignment and it looks amazine. video/pics dont do it justice the small **** like ac line angle and battery tray being tilted are what makes it just look right.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the power to you. What's the 2.4L in the upcoming Si? K24?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats pretty cool!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creepsjr
Weren't people saying the same thing about dropping a J-series into a Civic/Integra, or K-series into an S2000?? Yet after all the bashing, disbelief, and rudeness, someone was able to pull it off.

Granted putting the workings of an S2k into a CR-Z seems to be beyond reason, but like others have said on here, a k20 isn't that out of the picture. Sure there will be huge challenges. Sure it will be expensive. But anything is possible. Being financially reasonable doesn't always count for people who want to be pioneers. There's a lot to be said about that.

The OP may be having pipe dreams, but at the same time, who are we to judge? Who knows what connections he has and what experience he possesses as well. Just because he stated a shortlist here on HT doesn't necessarily take into account all that is available to him. For all we know he could just be starting this thread to get people riled up, while he already has the K20 sitting nicely in the engine bay, and is now figuring out the electronics. It has happened before. Check out one of the last issues in HondaTuning regarding a K dropped into an S.

Granted, 99 of 100 posts can be garbage when it comes to crazy builds like this, but there always is that 1. Maybe this is it.

I give the OP a big thumbs up if he goes through with his plans. Best of luck- like it's been stated, it's just a matter of time before someone successfully completes it. I hope to be reading about this build in HondaTuning one day. If not, hey, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm not the one who's out 35k.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 518crzfreak
so im about to buy a new cr-z but i have much bigger plans for it. i love the body and fit and finish. but i want serious turbo power. my first goal was to try to retro fit the s2000 motor and drivetrain and create a rwd cr-z. after a little insight from a few friends i realized this is going to break the bank....so instead i want to to a k20 swap. any tips? anyone think this is possible?
Why not put a D16Z6?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ruckus2009
Why not put a D16Z6?
bc if you are in a state like CA i do believe that swap would be totally illegal. You have to put a motor that was offered in the same production year or newer to title the car with a legit swap
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Superfly

^Yep that's the law. I heard Bisimoto built an Insight with a D-series engine in it and they're based out of California. But that thing is a drag car that does not go anywhere near the streets, so they can pretty much do anything they want with a car like that.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

putting a K-series in this car does not make sense. Yeah it looks cool but does not make financial and performance sense. You could easily build a turbo kit or wait for someone to make a bolt on kit. The power would be equal to or pass the amount that a K swap (stock to bolt ons ) would make. On top of that you would still get hybrid mileage and performance at the same time. After seeing bisi make 450+ on a built engine it is almost safe to say the stock engine can handle 200-250whp on the stock engine on a good tune.

Quick Reply: k20 cr-z swap