Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/)
-   -   k20 cr-z swap (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/k20-cr-z-swap-2839987/)

518crzfreak 09-23-2010 02:35 PM

k20 cr-z swap

so im about to buy a new cr-z but i have much bigger plans for it. i love the body and fit and finish. but i want serious turbo power. my first goal was to try to retro fit the s2000 motor and drivetrain and create a rwd cr-z. after a little insight from a few friends i realized this is going to break the bank....so instead i want to to a k20 swap. any tips? anyone think this is possible?

1grex 09-23-2010 03:01 PM

Re: k20 cr-z swap

Not to hate, but you'll be breaking the bank either way unless I underestimate your mechanical, electrical, fabrication abilities, and tools/facilities available to you. If you have to ask this question I'd wait on hacking up your CRZ until a major shop comes up with a kit/procedure.

shatner 09-23-2010 03:20 PM

I own a CR-Z and from looking at the engine bay and a K20, yeah, I think it's possible.

Good luck and take pics along the way, please.:thumbup:

J_Marc 09-23-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by shatner (Post 43610819)
I own a CR-Z and from looking at the engine bay and a K20, yeah, I think it's possible.

Good luck and take pics along the way, please.:thumbup:

Originally Posted by 518crzfreak (Post 43610503)
so im about to buy a new cr-z but i have much bigger plans for it. i love the body and fit and finish. but i want serious turbo power. my first goal was to try to retro fit the s2000 motor and drivetrain and create a rwd cr-z. after a little insight from a few friends i realized this is going to break the bank....so instead i want to to a k20 swap. any tips? anyone think this is possible?

Give it some time and wait to see what comes out on the market in terms of anything swap related, I have a feeling once people see the true cost of it, and what you're left with as far the original electronics, enthusiasts might seem to focus their interest away from such a swap. Only time will tell.

518crzfreak 09-24-2010 10:53 PM

my father is a turbo engineer i have plenty of ppl willing to fabricate on this car and enough money and connections to make it happen. i just dont have the car yet and cant find the equivelency measurments of both the engine transaxle and engine compartment

213crz 09-24-2010 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 518crzfreak (Post 43610503)

do u have credit

REAPER101 09-25-2010 04:59 AM

good luck and have fun

blackaneseman 09-25-2010 09:19 AM

contact hasport of a similar mount company, they might be willing to team up with you and come up with a mount kit. im sure in the future hasport will have a k series mount kit for the crz. if its not already in the making.

and i cant wait to see this swap. im planning on buying a crz in the spring. someones gonna do it eventually. might as well be the first. and if its not done by next summer. maybe i'll be the first.

Birdley42008 09-25-2010 11:17 AM

contact bisi ezerioha at bisimoto engineering i believe he is on the leading edge of CR-Z mods.

jdm Ef-9 09-25-2010 11:53 AM

this build would be just F*#king sick..... nastyer then that g force prelude..... im all for it... different, and sick... on such a cool looking car..

you got my vote

HatchVX 09-25-2010 08:54 PM

i think this should be really easy, since it uses a fit motor, i belive they have mounts for it.

Kane666 09-26-2010 12:30 AM

i think this guy will never do it. itll go for a little bit and then "oh ive decided to go another route" "i just bought fgrlibgaiar some other car now"

SIRIUS VTEC 09-26-2010 06:45 AM

IDK, im more than positive it's possible you just need to talk to the right people and it aint us. U need to go to machine shops somewhere that can weld you up some brackets, remounting. Im sure u can get this done just go around shop to shop and see what's going on.

Mr. Spade 09-26-2010 05:31 PM

More than you can afford pal

but seriously, just wait till some magazine does it, cant take too long

lub 09-26-2010 06:30 PM

I'm sure someone like Hasport's Brian Gillespie or Oscar Jackson has already done it. Those guys tend to always be one step ahead of the game. Call Hasport...

...just sayin.

518crzfreak 09-26-2010 09:02 PM

ok well i got ins at tuning shops machine shops and like i said my father is a turbo technician. im not just blowin smoke so stop hating, but you are right i have changed my mind. a friend of mine has a k24 turboed worked to 752hp if you dont believe me go look on the lebanon valley speedway site its there dan allen. so what i decided i want to do is a lower hp k24 supercharged so i have more of a constant power band. we'll see what all turns up once i get the car and find just the right engine for it. and no need for credit when your payin in cash my man

valerio123 09-27-2010 05:23 PM

CR-Z + k20= dream :D
does anyone know if any company has made or is making kits for k20 in cr-z?

boostedrex605 10-12-2010 06:19 PM

lol

90civichb 10-13-2010 01:04 AM

I hate threads like this. Because the more the OP posts, the more obvious it is that he is just talking for the sake of talking. It is okay to say "wouldn't x and y for the CRZ be cool." However, getting on the internet and making threads to make the fantasy in your head seem more realistic and achievable is pretty lame.

alexEF 10-13-2010 03:41 AM

^ ouch

k-series 10-13-2010 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 90civichb (Post 43762317)
I hate threads like this. Because the more the OP posts, the more obvious it is that he is just talking for the sake of talking. It is okay to say "wouldn't x and y for the CRZ be cool." However, getting on the internet and making lame threads to make the fantasy in your head seem more realistic and achievable is pretty lame.

QFT

If you were ready to make this happen, you'd have a K20a2/z1 sitting in your garage right now while you waited on the CRZ to arrive.

Swapping the motor/trans in is the VERY EASY part of this swap. Getting the gauges and such to work...there's the fun.

If you're serious, you'd have to look and see what the guys at LHT did to get the K20 into the Insight (keeping all the original functionality). I think that swap is going for like $15k + from them (Trained professionals).

In the mean time, consider doing your first swap with an EK/EG and put a B in it. That will prepare you for the easy hurdles with a K swap....

Steve

90Rexx 10-13-2010 04:19 AM

a company will be the first to do this, not a single person with dreams, sorry but thats how it is.

Theres alot of additional stuff with the CR-Z people just dont seem to realize that will be involved in this swap vs. other chassis, this isnt the same as swapping a K into a crx. The PCM operates the gauges, how are you going to get any of your gauges to work if your not using the stock PCM? Are you going to remove the battery packs and wiring harness? ARE YOU QUALIFIED TO SAFELY DO SO???? these are just a few off the top of my head.

i expect bisi, hks, or hasport to be the first to do this.

nihad 10-13-2010 09:04 PM

id just have honda make a crz k20a like a crz-R.. Honda is gonna make a si version of this car right.. They cant all have economy engines..

Mattyg2 10-13-2010 09:25 PM

Why don't you just get a CRX with a k20?

90civichb 10-14-2010 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by k-series (Post 43762592)
QFT

If you were ready to make this happen, you'd have a K20a2/z1 sitting in your garage right now while you waited on the CRZ to arrive.

Swapping the motor/trans in is the VERY EASY part of this swap. Getting the gauges and such to work...there's the fun.

If you're serious, you'd have to look and see what the guys at LHT did to get the K20 into the Insight (keeping all the original functionality). I think that swap is going for like $15k + from them (Trained professionals).

In the mean time, consider doing your first swap with an EK/EG and put a B in it. That will prepare you for the easy hurdles with a K swap....

Steve

I assume you either quoted me to agree with me, or you meant to quote the OP. Either way, I agree with what you have said.