Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

k20 cr-z swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: k20 cr-z swap

Originally Posted by 518crzfreak
ok well i got ins at tuning shops machine shops and like i said my father is a turbo technician. im not just blowin smoke so stop hating, but you are right i have changed my mind. a friend of mine has a k24 turboed worked to 752hp if you dont believe me go look on the lebanon valley speedway site its there dan allen. so what i decided i want to do is a lower hp k24 supercharged so i have more of a constant power band. we'll see what all turns up once i get the car and find just the right engine for it. and no need for credit when your payin in cash my man
Where is Dan Allen's turbo'd k24? I tried to look it up on the lebanon valley website cuz it sounds epic.... but high couldn't find it.

Web address maybe?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BS guy is just trying to seem cool on the interwebz.Like the other two guy's said you would have had a motor by now and be building it.Or the car already, ive already seen ton's of old bitch's driving them in NM. And i must say the silver gray color on them is NICE!Do us a fav keep your dream's and hope's to your self.Until we see some pic's a motor the car somthing this whole thread is BS.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

His dad is a turbo technician, meaning he probably does rebuilds at jiffy lube.

So yeah, this will definitely be happening.

Can't forget the "ins" at a machine shop. Whoa now.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL is is too funny!!

"my dad is a turbo Engineer" lol hahahahahahahahah

you see thats funny to me cause i come from a family of engineers... my father has a Phd in Aerospace Propulsion. And is middle executive at Pratt&Whittany in Florida ... you know the people who build engines for large aircraft and or above atmosphere orbit.

i actually had him read this and he chuckled at you and your lack of a education....

im gonna subscribe to this thread, and watch the orginal started get his feelings, hopes, dreams, crushed... maybe he might slit his wrist and jump of a cliff... OOHHHH NOOOZZZ!! well one less dumb thread on H-T
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dudesitsjdm
BS guy is just trying to seem cool on the interwebz.Like the other two guy's said you would have had a motor by now and be building it.Or the car already, ive already seen ton's of old bitch's driving them in NM. And i must say the silver gray color on them is NICE!Do us a fav keep your dream's and hope's to your self.Until we see some pic's a motor the car somthing this whole thread is BS.
Originally Posted by Pat McGroin
His dad is a turbo technician, meaning he probably does rebuilds at jiffy lube.

So yeah, this will definitely be happening.

Can't forget the "ins" at a machine shop. Whoa now.

HAHAHAHAHAHA TOO ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha jesus ****.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Superfly

OP must be super rich.

There's no way my dad would let me drop 20g's on a brand new CR-Z, another what? 4-5 on a K20 and trans, plus another plus god knows how much more money to rip out the CR-Z's perfectly good engine and replace it with the K20.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish you good luck and cant wait to see this happen.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im with u bro if u decide to do it go for it! id advise u to wait a while and get a crashed one or a cheap one with problems cuz 20k + r&d on the swap! thats some serious dough
Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I bet someone would love to buy the OEM power train from the guy and install it into an old CRX HF... I bet that thing would haul some *** (for a hybrid hybrid )
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thatd be hella hard to pull off
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ELECTRICeg
thatd be hella hard to pull off
Why? I was at the dealership yesterday and compared the Fit and CRZ engines. The two top mounts are in the same place (pass side and driver side). I would assume the rear tranny mount is as well. If you can put a K20 in a new Fit, seems very reasonable that a CRZ would accept a k20 as well.

It'll happen before long. Someone will do it with deep pockets.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattyg2
Why don't you just get a CRX with a k20?
cause that would be:
- cheaper
- better looking
- faster
- handle better

you know... all of the logical/smart reasons.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:58 AM
No Big Whoop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you who might not have been around for a long time, this is a CLASSIC type of post on HT. This is the template for this sort of post:
Guy comes in with fantastic dreams, makes huge claims, but delivers nothing.

The way to do it, is like this:
Buy CR-Z
Buy K20
Do swap
Take pictures
Post on HT

There are a few posts like this on HT, but a virtual internet ton load of dream posts.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Driven
cause that would be:
- cheaper
- better looking
- faster
- handle better

you know... all of the logical/smart reasons.
Logic evades the OP
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is is K20 CR-Z = KR-Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAqGY...layer_embedded
Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ pish lies!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone's gotta do it, might as well be you. We all have to learn what kind of obstacles will come our way when trying this swap. I think it'd be one of the sickest swaps possible if and when it's completed. Mounts and such wouldn't really be the problem, fabrication skills can easily take care of that. Wiring, on the other hand, is going to be where this gets tricky, along side of keeping everything else in the car functional.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 518crzfreak
ok well i got ins at tuning shops machine shops and like i said my father is a turbo technician. im not just blowin smoke so stop hating, but you are right i have changed my mind. a friend of mine has a k24 turboed worked to 752hp if you dont believe me go look on the lebanon valley speedway site its there dan allen. so what i decided i want to do is a lower hp k24 supercharged so i have more of a constant power band. we'll see what all turns up once i get the car and find just the right engine for it. and no need for credit when your payin in cash my man
Dude shut the fvck up.
You are so full of **** its coming out of your ears.

No one cares what your friends have.

Lets start from the top (keep in mind, I am new to Hondas too, but I do know my crap when it comes to cars over all)

1. K20 in the CRZ, sure- but heres the thing to keep in mind, you better pay for that car OUTRIGHT no financing. With a mod like that you may very well have to cut the crap out of the car to get it to fit.
2. The RWD thing, good freaking luck. Your going to have to rearrange the engine bay, cut the channel for a transmission, make the mounts, the cover for it so that you dont have a tranny staring you in the face while you drive the car around, and then the rear end. There are ZERO drive train parts in that rear end- and if you expect it to handle well your going to have to get REALLY freaking creative- far beyond simply the crap your teenage mind can handle.
3. Old cars, like bugs, being made FR is cake. simple design, simple, fabrication, cheap, already has some semblance of a place in the front and rear where you can put the engine and diff. NOT THE CRZ.
4. No one gives two ***** what your friends have. I could claim to know Eric Calabrese (7 second VW owner) all I want because I recieved an email from him. But he is a freaking engineer pulling serious income, I am a soldier that isnt.
5. If you had the cash, you wouldnt be talking about it, we would be seeing the build thread right now.

Freaking teenagers.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this sounds awesome...
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Maxbore.com
For those of you who might not have been around for a long time, this is a CLASSIC type of post on HT. This is the template for this sort of post:
Guy comes in with fantastic dreams, makes huge claims, but delivers nothing.

The way to do it, is like this:
Buy CR-Z
Buy K20
Do swap
Take pictures
Post on HT

There are a few posts like this on HT, but a virtual internet ton load of dream posts.
you forgot the part where everyone on honda "TECH" replies with wait until a kit is available, wait for the DIY guide, pay someone to do it, etc.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weren't people saying the same thing about dropping a J-series into a Civic/Integra, or K-series into an S2000?? Yet after all the bashing, disbelief, and rudeness, someone was able to pull it off.

Granted putting the workings of an S2k into a CR-Z seems to be beyond reason, but like others have said on here, a k20 isn't that out of the picture. Sure there will be huge challenges. Sure it will be expensive. But anything is possible. Being financially reasonable doesn't always count for people who want to be pioneers. There's a lot to be said about that.

The OP may be having pipe dreams, but at the same time, who are we to judge? Who knows what connections he has and what experience he possesses as well. Just because he stated a shortlist here on HT doesn't necessarily take into account all that is available to him. For all we know he could just be starting this thread to get people riled up, while he already has the K20 sitting nicely in the engine bay, and is now figuring out the electronics. It has happened before. Check out one of the last issues in HondaTuning regarding a K dropped into an S.

Granted, 99 of 100 posts can be garbage when it comes to crazy builds like this, but there always is that 1. Maybe this is it.

I give the OP a big thumbs up if he goes through with his plans. Best of luck- like it's been stated, it's just a matter of time before someone successfully completes it. I hope to be reading about this build in HondaTuning one day. If not, hey, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm not the one who's out 35k.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creepsjr
Weren't people saying the same thing about dropping a J-series into a Civic/Integra, or K-series into an S2000?? Yet after all the bashing, disbelief, and rudeness, someone was able to pull it off.

Granted putting the workings of an S2k into a CR-Z seems to be beyond reason, but like others have said on here, a k20 isn't that out of the picture. Sure there will be huge challenges. Sure it will be expensive. But anything is possible. Being financially reasonable doesn't always count for people who want to be pioneers. There's a lot to be said about that.

The OP may be having pipe dreams, but at the same time, who are we to judge? Who knows what connections he has and what experience he possesses as well. Just because he stated a shortlist here on HT doesn't necessarily take into account all that is available to him. For all we know he could just be starting this thread to get people riled up, while he already has the K20 sitting nicely in the engine bay, and is now figuring out the electronics. It has happened before. Check out one of the last issues in HondaTuning regarding a K dropped into an S.

Granted, 99 of 100 posts can be garbage when it comes to crazy builds like this, but there always is that 1. Maybe this is it.

I give the OP a big thumbs up if he goes through with his plans. Best of luck- like it's been stated, it's just a matter of time before someone successfully completes it. I hope to be reading about this build in HondaTuning one day. If not, hey, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm not the one who's out 35k.
One word:
Presentation.

People that are seriously doing something ground breaking usually have a good presentation about it, not some sloppy hap-hazard crap that looks like it was written by a highschooler.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRVRX
How is it that at the end of that video it says "Yes! Everything works"?

There's not even a belt on that engine in the vid.... lol.. How about a video with it running?.. At least idling....
Old 12-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lht has been building quality cars for years. his attention to detail is second to none. no bullshit hard mounts. uses factory mounts to keep a nice idle without shaking the **** out of you. abs,srs,ac,heat, everything works as it should. having work done by him i can attest to his welds and quality...if you would have read anything he has published. you would know he builds real cars not trailier queens. the ksight drove from tampa to nopi, showed,won, and drove the **** home. the Krz would do the same.but yes this car is for real i asure you. congrats john and yet another cover car iam sure..and to hell with the haters. tons of people want to talk **** about yeah iam buyin my crz and iam going to do this ...but no one else is going to.

Quick Reply: k20 cr-z swap