Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

CR-Z makes Motor Trend Top Ten Worst Handling list

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CR-Z makes Motor Trend Top Ten Worst Handling list

Originally Posted by TypeRHonda
I wasnt trying to "seem" anything. I like how you try to discredit my post because i said "retarded". Maybe if you tried using a bit of logic and reason to discredit what i say, that would have made an argument, but just saying that because i used the word "retarded", everything i said is "crap", is not a valid argument on your part. Seems like i pissed you off cause you were probably one of the ones bashing the crz. If you were trying to defend your point of view you definitely failed.

I think the best part of your rant is how I apparently annoyed you so much that your just going to make up stuff like i need to "Get back to buying knockoff eBay ricer accessories". Where the hell did this come from? Who was talking about ebay? Is this what you do when you cant win an argument? You just blatantly make up stuff, and yet im the one who supposedly doesnt think clearly? I guess making up stuff and calling things crap makes you feel better about yourself and your non-existent argument about what i say. There definitely are retards on this site, and you sir, are one of them.
OWNED! lmao
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Umm, your original point was 0 - 60 times are on average 2 seconds slower for an automatic, how exactly is that a moot point?
Well you were saying that time is lost on the "cheap" automatics because of slow shifting and I was saying it was going to be slow regardless. When I was writing that post, I forgot that on high end cars, the pumping losses of the transmission are a smaller percentage of total power so the loss in time is not likely 2 seconds but is less. I was thinking in terms of cars that get 0-60 in 8 seconds for M/T and 0-60 in 10 seconds for A/T. A BMW 5 series wagon with a V8 only does like a half second less on the A/T than the M/T and while that's a big deal in performance loss as you get down to the lower digits, in terms of absolute seconds, it's not much at all. It's not that the high end A/T shift SO MUCH BETTER, it's just that the performance loss is a smaller fraction of total power compared to cars with less power.

good example of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_S...rmance_figures

They made them longer than that. My own mother had an '85 Civic sedan with one.
I'm reading the service manual and for 1984 they call it a Hondamatic but for 1987 (same generation no less) they just call it automatic transmission. But even if they called it a Hondamatic, it certainly bares no resemblance to the 70s 2 speed Hondamatic which had a "unique" way of shifting.. The "Hondamatic" in the 1981 civic according to edmunds was already a 3 speed and since the Hondamatic 2 speed was of a unique design, it couldn't be ported over to the 3-speed so they had to scrap it entirely and go the traditional route when they made the 3-speed "hondamatic" transmission. I think they just carried over that name to make people comfortable and dropped it when it either reminded people of a slow crappy transmission or because it wasn't accurate or necessary.

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/history.html

They might have been 5 star rated back in the 80's but they wouldn't be under todays standards.
Hate to break it to you but 5 stars is 5 stars. A car that gets 5 stars in the 70s is a 5 star vehicle today. NHTSA hasn't changed its procedures since the test has been created, only added new tests such as the side impact test. Now just because those vehicles are 5 star rated, doesn't mean they'd fare well in a IIHS Offset crash test (1995+) nor in a side impact test conducted by the NHTSA or the IIHS. The only difference with today's standards is that a few minor things are required and thanks to the obama administration, a lot more EXPENSIVE things will be mandated come 2012 or 2014. However the funny thing is, they can't mandate a vehicle get a 5 star rating. not that they need to since a "good rating" by the IIHS or "5 star" by the NHSTA is a selling point. A car can be sold with all the necessary federal requirements for a vehicle TODAY and still get a 1 star rating which means a 45% chance or greater of serious injury in a 35mph crash into a wall.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabag

Hate to break it to you but 5 stars is 5 stars. A car that gets 5 stars in the 70s is a 5 star vehicle today. NHTSA hasn't changed its procedures since the test has been created, only added new tests such as the side impact test. Now just because those vehicles are 5 star rated, doesn't mean they'd fare well in a IIHS Offset crash test (1995+) nor in a side impact test conducted by the NHTSA or the IIHS. The only difference with today's standards is that a few minor things are required and thanks to the obama administration, a lot more EXPENSIVE things will be mandated come 2012 or 2014. However the funny thing is, they can't mandate a vehicle get a 5 star rating. not that they need to since a "good rating" by the IIHS or "5 star" by the NHSTA is a selling point. A car can be sold with all the necessary federal requirements for a vehicle TODAY and still get a 1 star rating which means a 45% chance or greater of serious injury in a 35mph crash into a wall.
Are you serious? A 5 star car from the 70's will be a 5 star crash rated car here in the present day? So all this technology, ACE frame technology, metallurgy, crumple zones, and AIRBAGS, are nothing?

You sir, are living in a very bad dream or are so completely full of yourself that you actually believe the garbage spewing from your mouth. No car from the 70's, even if it got 10 stars in a crash test, will even be safer than a modern day car today.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabag
I'm reading the service manual and for 1984 they call it a Hondamatic but for 1987 (same generation no less) they just call it automatic transmission. But even if they called it a Hondamatic, it certainly bares no resemblance to the 70s 2 speed Hondamatic which had a "unique" way of shifting.. The "Hondamatic" in the 1981 civic according to edmunds was already a 3 speed and since the Hondamatic 2 speed was of a unique design, it couldn't be ported over to the 3-speed so they had to scrap it entirely and go the traditional route when they made the 3-speed "hondamatic" transmission. I think they just carried over that name to make people comfortable and dropped it when it either reminded people of a slow crappy transmission or because it wasn't accurate or necessary
I can't remember the exact details about it, because I was about 12 when we got rid of that car, but I know it did require some manual shifting, I don't remember if it was a plain old semi automatic setup where you had to shift for every gear, or if you just had to manually downshift to pass.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't remember the exact details about it, because I was about 12 when we got rid of that car, but I know it did require some manual shifting, I don't remember if it was a plain old semi automatic setup where you had to shift for every gear, or if you just had to manually downshift to pass.
Nope, that's actually pretty common regardless of being a Honda or not. Older automatics would only down-shift if the Vacuum in the manifold went to zero, and because of that, they were slow to down-shift when conditions called for it. So... most people would pre-empt that by telling the transmission to down-shift right before they needed it. I know because I too remember this behavior and after reading the service manual of some older automatics, it makes sense. Newer automatics go by throttle position or how quickly the throttle is pressed and even newer ones shift according to various other sensors that can detect an incline, etc. The newer ones obviously negate the need to pre-empt the transmission in down-shifting.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
Are you serious? A 5 star car from the 70's will be a 5 star crash rated car here in the present day? So all this technology, ACE frame technology, metallurgy, crumple zones, and AIRBAGS, are nothing?
Yes.... Two things... 1. You're implying getting that 5 star rating wasn't possible without all the above... That's not true.. Example? The Volvo 240 from the mid 70s all the way till 1993 2. what you're not considering is that the 5 star rating is in a specific crash scenario, one we've been doing for many decades.

The point of the increase in crash safety is the following: 1. Improving crash safety in OTHER, TESTED/UNTESTED scenarios as a selling point or 2. Maintaining a good crash safety while saving money. The Volvo 240 and the '84 Toyota Corolla both are around 5 star rated without the usage of airbags.. Why? Because both have HUGE engine bays (i.e. "crumple zones") that allow good dissipation of crash energy and henceforth give a good 5 star crash rating.. The only thing required to get a "5 star rating" is to have a HIC (Head Injury Criterion) and chest compression below a given amount.. They DO measure femur load but it doesn't count against the score which is important because a 5 star rated car could save your skull but leave you crippled while a 2 star rated car has a high chance of killing your brain or breaking ribs but leaving your body for the most part intact. Airbags are in ALL cars because they were MANDATED, under the assumption of improving crash safety. To me, they're irrelevant because it's the score that matters, not the technology.

However the media loved them to death and so they were mandated regardless of need. Liberals have had a hard-on for airbags since their inception but Reagan held them off for about a decade before Bush in 1990 mandated them to be installed in all cars or they could opt for "passive restraints" (automatic seatbelts). But by the time Clinton became president, he just said **** it, make airbags mandatory in ALL CARS AND TRUCKS by the year 1998 and so it became law.. What you may not be aware of is that airbags from the 1970s all the way at the very earliest, 1998, were designed to protect an unbelted passenger. There is some arguing going on right now in deciding whether these "advanced airbags" (uses sensor in seat to determine weight) are actually helping or hurting compared to the older system that had a bit more "punch" to it... (pun intended)

To put these facts into terms you can understand, understand this. In 1979, in a crash scenario at 35mph into flat wall, if a car caused a load below 40gs chest compression and 300 HIC, then that car will definitely be a 5 star rated car.. This HAS NOT CHANGED.. It's not like they conduct the test at 45mph nowadays or anything like that, it's 30mph (NHTSA minimum) or 35mph. They've obviously determined that getting numbers lower than mentioned above would mean a very low risk of serious injury while numbers higher would mean a steady increase in likelihood of serious injury.

Another thing, some cars may be 5 star rated like those in the mid 90s but when tested on the IIHS crash scenario (Insurance Institute of Highway Safety) the car will fail spectacularly. Why? Because the IIHS tests at 40mph and it's an offset crash test with the entire vehicle crash energy being dissipated on ONLY 40% of the front end of the vehicle. They started doing this test around 1995 and what it did was expose cars that tested well on the govt. crash test but did fair ok or did very poorly on the IIHS test.. Probably because they weren't designed with an offset crash test in mind since the test hadn't existed yet.

Do you not understand that it's pretty uncommon for people to do something unless there is an incentive? You can be assured today that if it's tested for, manufacturers are going to scramble over getting the highest score. No test, no care.. Can't blame them really..

Originally Posted by Blue-Civic-Hybrid
You sir, are living in a very bad dream or are so completely full of yourself that you actually believe the garbage spewing from your mouth. No car from the 70's, even if it got 10 stars in a crash test, will even be safer than a modern day car today.
It's very common to have your reaction but the fact of the matter is, the tests don't change, the only thing that changes is what tests they DO. If you want to complain about anything, complain about why they do crash testing at 35mph when nearly every damned car made in the 2000s gets a 5 star rating, making the rating system worthless... I can only imagine crash testing at 60mph.. now that would be something! lol..
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 80honda
The article by MoronTrend is ridiculous. On what planet is the CR-Z belonging on the 10 worst handling vehicles list with those SUVs and minivans. Articles like this are stupid and the only people that would fall for this are the 15 year old www.VTEC-YO.net crowd.
have you driven it?

i bet motor trend has.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread...On a side note, Grassroots Motorsports Mag just compaired the base Mini, The Mazda2 and the CRZ in an autocross comparo and they were rated in that order. They discribed the CRZ as having very soft springs and poorly chosen damper rates... So If you plan on running in HS ( H stock class), the crz is not the car to have....Guess its not that sporty afterall.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 80honda
No, have you? Have you driver all the hundreds of vehicles for sale and determined the CR-Z is one of the ten WORST.

I'm sure I could come up with 10 quick pickup trucks that deserve to be on that list. What about you? Do you agree with MORONtrend that the CR-Z is one of the WORST handling cars?
i haven't driven it yet.

but looking at the design as a whole, the rear suspension design, and the general trend of half *** cars that honda is putting out, i wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
the late 80's early 90's were putting down 50+mpg..

all this High MPG stuff these days is a joke.
Modify an old CRX or civic to pass current crash tests and see what kind of mileage you get. Let alone the fact that those old car's construction and comfort would be unnacceptable in todays market by current standards. Things change, cars get heavier and more complicated. Just a part of life.

Also, this test can only be taken with a grain of salt. Without having a standard tire installed on all the cars there is no way to truly compare their results.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TypeRHonda
I do agree with most of what you said. Im not trying to claim that the CRZ is an amazing vehicle. Im just saying that the motor trend (or whichever magazine) test doesnt really mean all that much unless all vehicles tested use the same tire. Im not trying to say that suspension is great either. Im just saying that i understand why honda my not have put alot of money into the development of the vehicle. Until that market segment pans out, it makes sense that honda was reluctant to spend alot on the CRZ. I guess it remains to be seen whether or not this was a smart move by honda. It may as well backfire in their face.

In regard to the FCX, i dont really feel that "green energy" has matured. I feel that it is still in its infancy and it has yet to be seen which technology the public is willing to accept. If there were other car companies making hydrogen vehicles and if there were more filling stations nationwide, im sure the public would be more accepting of hydrogen technology. Im guessing that is quite hard for a single company to change the way an entire industry functions. I give honda alot of credit for even trying something like hydrogen.

As far as the FCX never making it to dealerships, as far as i know it is already in the hands of customers. It was never meant to be a vehicle sold nationally or worldwide because there are not hydrogen filling stations in any state other than california at this point. As far as i know there are are only going to be about 1500 FCXs produced total and to get one you have to actually be approved by Honda. I think this approval process had alot to do with how far you live from the limited number of hydrogen filling stations. Im sure Honda didnt want a bunch of the FCXs sitting on the side of the road because people were too far from a fuel station and ran out of hydrogen.

On a side note, i can guess what will eventually happen to all the FCXs out there. Since they are only available by lease, im guessing that when the lease is up, Honda is planning on taking them all back, dismantling and crushing them. If you have ever seen the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car" then you know what im talking about. The movie is about the GM EV1 electric car and its about how GM took them all back (except 1 in a museum) and crushed them all even though people loved them, wanted to buy them and protested the crushing. While they were making that movie, there is a part of it that shows that they stumbled upon Honda doing the same thing. Honda made a car sometime in the 90s and it was hybrid or electric car (not sure) and when the leases were up, Honda took them all back and crushed them. I would love to get my hands on a FCX, mothball it, and hide it somewhere so Honda cant crush it. Im sure that in the future if they all havent been destroyed, it will probably be one of the most collectible Hondas ever produced.
You are not making any new points, you are simply repeating what you said in your first post.

The tire issue is moot, Honda chose those tires. If you take the tires out of the equation and give the test vehicles something equal, what exactly have you proven then ?

The flaw is the car, not the tires. I'm sure if the CRZ weighed less and was able to attain fuel efficiency that wasnt so subpar (for a hybrid) they could have afforded to use a sportier tire and we probably wouldnt be having this diiscussion right now.

Critics are harping on the use of the rear torsion beam, but the same type torsion beam is used in the Honda Fit, and tests have been positive in that regards. The Fit isnt quick, but its nimble, lightweight, easy to toss around, generally fun to drive.
The rear torsion beam is not world beating technology, but lets be honest, is the CRZ ever going to have world beating power ? The suspension will manage just fine.

Its flaws are its weight, the lack of power to make up for such weight.

I really like the concept of the CRZ, I still want one. If they can make some improvements i'd look forward to purchasing a next generation one, but Honda didnt give their full effort to the CRZ and it shows.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE
Modify an old CRX or civic to pass current crash tests and see what kind of mileage you get. Let alone the fact that those old car's construction and comfort would be unnacceptable in todays market by current standards. Things change, cars get heavier and more complicated. Just a part of life.

Also, this test can only be taken with a grain of salt. Without having a standard tire installed on all the cars there is no way to truly compare their results.
It would probably do the same or better. You're not considering that those 50mpg cars had a 0-60 of around 12 seconds+. There really aren't that many "regulations" that would make the car weigh significantly more, just more expensive which are two different things. Also if they used an aluminum chassis, then all bets would be off because then it would weigh even less.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
Go tell that to RealTime!

Have you seen any pictures of their cars up in the air?? They completely trashed everything stock and redid everything from scratch. They basically had to fix every little thing Honda did wrong.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for all the people complaining about the tires on the CRZ being the cause of the bad handling...have they taken in to consideration that the prius and the insight arnt sports cars yet they didnt make the list...i really dont think that those cars would come with better performance tires than a "sports" car
Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Trial User

Top Gear said it all!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This list is pure B.S. I'm sure we could all come up with a quick list of 10 vehicles that handle worse than the CR-Z.

There is a reason rags like Moron Trend are losing money, and bogus articles like this to fan the flames are not making things better for them.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is like watching monkeys in the zoo through poop at each other.....as for me, I am waiting on the mini cooper-s coupe comming out this summer....2400lbs, no backseat, 1.6 leter turbo making 175 hp and a suspension that was designed to handle....

I have to admit that it is not as pretty as crz but if given the option of using a big sharp Bowie knife and a pretty little dagger in a knife fight, I will take the bowie every time.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that MINI is HOT.
But like most MINIs, it will get very pricey fast, and be as unreliable as Jeep, Land Rover, and VW.

It's too bad Honda isn't selling a "SPORT" version of the CR-Z.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad it's a piece of junk that nobody desires. That way in 5 years I'll be able to pull one out of the auction for next to nothing, drop a k-series in it, and get rid of all the heavy hybrid garbage.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are those top two shots of the mini from a video game? forza motorsports?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aemciv
are those top two shots of the mini from a video game? forza motorsports?
yup

As for minis braking down all the time....that was the case with the first couple years....Remember, bmw opened a brand new factory in the uk( the austen mini had not been made for a couple years) to make the mini and a new factory in south america to make the drivetrain....took them a couple years to get people trained to make cars....Anyone knows not to buy the first year a car is released or you will have issues....