Grease stain on headliner

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grease stain on headliner

Ok...

I've got a grease stain [pure black] on the rear of my headliner, right before the hatch. It's about the size of a dime. Would any of you know how to get rid of it without smearing it and making things worse?

I was removing suspension parts which I was transporting in my Fit and one of the A arms hit my headliner

I'm not sure it'll come clean since the headliner is "fuzzy" and the stain is black grease.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Grease stain on headliner (eL)

Go to any place that stocks car cleaning stuff, and get a spray can of upholstry cleaner, with the little hard rubber brush. I used that stuff to take out an oil stain on my seat, and to clean out about a liter (no lie) of oil from the carpet in my CRX. Some idiot dumped it in there god knows how long ago (Before i bought it), and it came right out, after about an hour of scrubbing...

The stuff i got comes in an orange can with an orange brush, i think its made by turtle wax, im not sure though. Doesnt discolor the fabric either.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grease stain on headliner (bobjohnson)

I would stay away from those products that have hard brushes because it will not work well with the headliner. It will make it more fuzzy and more noticable due to scrubbing this delicate surface. I would try something like oxy clean or goo gone or some other product of that nature that lifts stains and you can just blot out the stain
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grease stain on headliner (fitfreak3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fitfreak3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would stay away from those products that have hard brushes because it will not work well with the headliner. It will make it more fuzzy and more noticable due to scrubbing this delicate surface. I would try something like oxy clean or goo gone or some other product of that nature that lifts stains and you can just blot out the stain </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm afraid of spreading it
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about a steam clean to follow up one of the oxy clean or such products?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Haha, when I first saw the topic, I first thought was that someone was using too much hair grease.

Anyways, I had a little bit of chain grease from my bike that got on the edge of the rear seat while transporting it (three passengers, so couldn't use tall mode).

I brought a barrage of cleaning products i could find in the house about three days later down to clean the car because I was buzy (read: lazy). I used a clean paper towel to dab up as much of the grease as I could first, then I tried the products I brought down. All of them I tested first in a area that would be hidden when the seats were folded back up for colourfast.

The product that worked the best out of the stuff I had turned out to be my Mr. Clean Extra Power Multi-Surface Cleaner. I sprayed it on the stain, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then dab it off with a clean paper towel (don't rub or scrub, might ruin the texture feel or spread the stain). It actually worked really well for me. everything else I tried, even the Fantastik Oxy-Power, didn't work nearly as well.

Don't oversaturate the surface. Just spray enough to cover the stain. Then after you dab it up, most, if not all of the stain should be gone. Then, spray the area down with water (can use a bit more water), then dab it up again to remove residue cleaner. Then just let it dry.

Hope this helps boss.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Grease stain on headliner (j5ive)

i got some on my sparco seats the other day. i use some spray 9 cleaner and dabbed it up.

try not to rub it too much. it might spread.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey eL just wondering if you tackled that grease stain yet?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:58 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Nope not yet. I don't know which to attack first. The headliner grease stain or the scuff marks left on my bumper.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

Have any pics of the scuff marks on the bumper? Cause it may come out with some rubbing compound.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:17 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RickyGD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RickyGD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have any pics of the scuff marks on the bumper? Cause it may come out with some rubbing compound. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it will [most of it]. I just never used the stuff and have no clue on how to go about getting rid of this.

Anyone care to give some advice?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you might be able to do without a buffer. Get some rubbing compound put some on a rag and rub it off. I use 3M super duty compound.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:28 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Last time I used rubbing compound on my Civic, it left scratches. Did I do something wrong?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last time I used rubbing compound on my Civic, it left scratches. Did I do something wrong? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What color was the Civic? shouldn't leave scratches on white.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RickyGD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RickyGD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What color was the Civic? shouldn't leave scratches on white. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the Civic was Blue. I hope it works, this thing looks nasty on my white bumper.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 AM

Its going to leave scratches on any color, just more or less noticable depending on how dark the color is. You have to use a heavy cut compound, followed by a lighter cut compound, followed by a finishing compound to get a good finish.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:11 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Found the car that did it too.