Notices

Water pump went...now what???...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump went...now what???...

Was coming home this morning and steam was pouring out from under the hood. Pulled off the road immediately. Restarted the engine and heard loud rattling sound so I'm assuming the pump went. Made it home now it wont start. Pulled the timing belt cover off and belt looks seriously frayed. Should I be able to replace the pump and belt? What about the timing? This is my first Honda. Should I take it to the local Honda dealer. Any idea how much would cost to have them fix it? Right now has me scared has I've only had the car a week. Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Brad
bandmswisher@aol.com
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Water pump went...now what???... (90YellowRex)

don't try to start it.

how did it drive on the way home? hopefully you just need to do the water pump and t-belt. if everything was still intact, that is probably the case. i´m not sure what to tell you as as far as the rattlinbg sound, but imagine the sound of a flopping water pump or piston to valve contact. if it was the latter, you have more problems.

if the belt slipped more than a couple teeth or broke, youre looking at more issues in the head and maybe pistons, but if everything sounded ok and it didnt get too hot, i´d replace the belt and pump and crank it up.

a couple of searches will tell you everything you need to know about doing the job. takes some time, but it isn´t very hard.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts? What can I expect to pay to have the timing belt replaced? I've read they usually do the water pump as well. I dont wanna get ripped off but feel this is a little past my skills and resources...Thanks for your help!
Old 01-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90YellowRex)

i'm not sure what your skill level is, but if you have a manual, the tools, and some patience it really isn't hard. an extra set of hands might help from time to time too. the water pump usually gets done at the same time because replacing one means having access to the other, and the expensive (or time consuming) part is taking everything apart to get to it, so it makes sense to save some money and replace both relatively inexpensive parts to avoid expensive labor charges later.

i haven't paid for one, but i think i remember it being quoted around 450 from honda. anyone corroborate?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:10 AM

I just called around. $450 from local garage....$500 from Honda dealership...So looks like time to save up some dough and get it fixed i guess...Just hope this fixes it...Wife isnt too happy with me now as was my decision to buy the car off my parents...It had been parked for about 7-8 months but was running fine when parked...Wish me luck!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude seriously. IF you have any mechanical skill, go to autozone and buy a haynes manual for your car. Go to honda and buy a new timing belt and water pump. you should prolly pick up a chain wrench from autozone while you are there, to hold the pulley inplace while you bust that pulley bolt loose. it will take you a max of 3 hours to do this job. I've gotten where it takes me only an hour to do this in my driveway.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with the diy if money is more of an issue than time or a little commitment. since you said wife, i'm going to assume that you are of age and mind enough to read the manual and get through it without any problems.

but if you've got money to burn and can't be bothered, then by all means dump the job at honda.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (B16CRXT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsca_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not sure what your skill level is, but if you have a manual, the tools, and some patience it really isn't hard. an extra set of hands might help from time to time too. the water pump usually gets done at the same time because replacing one means having access to the other, and the expensive (or time consuming) part is taking everything apart to get to it, so it makes sense to save some money and replace both relatively inexpensive parts to avoid expensive labor charges later.

i haven't paid for one, but i think i remember it being quoted around 450 from honda. anyone corroborate?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I agree. Just takes some time and patience to do it right
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Yes I am of age...old man of 33...I just want the job done right and not have to fix something because I did it wrong. The car came with a Haynes plus I have a Chilton on the way as well. Cant be too careful I guess.

I got the low price on it from the folks knowing it might need work just hoped it might be a little longer down the road.

Granted I only paid $900 for the car, most of which was raised by me selling off some un-need RC stuff and my old laptop. So sacrificing some more isnt that big of deal to make sure it gets done right. I intend for this car to last me a while as a daily driver so best to have it fixed professionally.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say do it.
ust make sure you get the crank pulley bolt loose first though. Only use an impact on it so you don't dork anything up.

Good luck and I hope you didn't trash your valves.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:25 PM
hondagriz

Default Re: (rsca_crx)

be a real man and do it yourself
Old 01-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, its not that hard of a job if you don tmind getting dirty. But definitely wear some gloves. and I hope you have a good breaker bar.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:58 PM

do it yourself its a piece of cake in about an hour and a half it should be done .
Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I woudlnt push him - If his timing is off he can bend the valves even if they wernt in the first place. Oh yeah, be easy on that aluminium block, I learned the hard way... twice.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:22 PM

Well all is well with the Rex now...Thanks for the help...While we had it apart I replaced most of the hoses under the hood along with the t-stat and new A/C and alt. belts...The crank pulley was a bear but after jamming screwdriver in the starter hole against the flywheel and using a breaker bar with a pipe we finally got it. Should be good to go for a while...
Old 03-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I just replaced my water pump. Took me forever to find out how to keep it in one place. I found a guy at work that actually made one. He ended up milling the threads out of a huge hex nut, then milling the edges down to size to fit the pulley. Then he welded a handle onto it. It made things easier. The wrench now sits at Hasport in phoenix. If you need it, ask for Joe.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is this an example of the barbados yellow y-49 curse???